Vinod Kumar Mugada, Raj Kiran Kolkota, Sai Srinivas KMS, Abdul Rasheed
Vinod Kumar Mugada*, Raj Kiran Kolkota, Sai Srinivas KMS, Abdul Rasheed
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Vignan Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology, Duvvada, AP, India-530049.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effectiveness of oral nano formulation of vitamin-D in pain management of some neurospinal and musculoskeletal disorders. The study was conducted for duration of two years on patients suffering from neurospinal disorders like generalised back pain, myofascial syndrome, osteopenia and osteoporosis. Numerical Rating scale was used to assess pain scores before and after treatment. The dose of vitamin-D formulation was 60,000IU weekly for six weeks. Non-parametric tests were employed for qualitative data and quantitative data (with non-Gaussian distribution) to find out statistically significant relation between the variables. Vitamin-D levels and pain scores within the group were compared using Wilcoxon test. p-value<0.05 was considered as statistically significant. p-value<0.01 was considered as statistically highly significant. There was a very highly statistically significant association between vitamin-D formulation and improvement in vitamin-D levels (p<0.0001) and pain scores (p<0.0001). Our study concludes that oral nano formulation of vitamin-D if given at 60,000 IU weekly for six weeks was effective in treating pain due to some musculoskeletal and neurospinal disorders.
Cite this article:
Vinod Kumar Mugada, Raj Kiran Kolkota, Sai Srinivas KMS, Abdul Rasheed. Effectiveness of Oral Nano-particle based Vitamin D Solution in Pain Management: A Prospective Cross-sectional study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):6-10. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00002.0
Vinod Kumar Mugada, Raj Kiran Kolkota, Sai Srinivas KMS, Abdul Rasheed. Effectiveness of Oral Nano-particle based Vitamin D Solution in Pain Management: A Prospective Cross-sectional study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):6-10. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00002.0 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-1-2
1. Holick MF, Garabedian M. Vitamin D: photobiology, metabolism, mechanism of action, and clinical applications. In: Favus MJ (ed). Primer on the Metabolic Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism. 6th ed. American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Washington, DC, 2006, pp 129-137.
2. Plotnik off GA, Quigley JM. Prevalence of severe hypovitaminosis D in patients with persistent, nonspecific musculoskeletal pain. Mayo Clinic Proc 2003; 78(12):1463–1470.
3. Zhang R, Naughton DP. Vitamin D in health and disease: Current perspectives. Nutr J 2010; 9:65.
4. Lips P. Vitamin D deficiency and secondary hyperparathyroidism in the elderly: Consequences for bone loss and fractures and therapeutic implications. Endocr Rev 2001; 22:477-501.
5. Holick MF, Siris ES, Binkley N, Beard MK, Khan A, Katzer JT, Petruschke RA, Chen E, de Papp AE. Prevalence of Vitamin D inadequacy among postmenopausal North American women receiving osteoporosis therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab2005; 90:3215-3224.
6. Berk M, Sanders KM, Pasco JA, Jacka FN, Williams LJ, Hayles AL, Dodd S. Vitamin D deficiency may play a role in depression. Medical Hypotheses 2007; 69:1316-1319.
7. Autier P, Gandini S. Vitamin D supplementation and total mortality: A meta analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Intern Med 2007; 167:1730-1737.
8. Glerup H, Mikkelsen K, Poulsen L, Hass E, Overbeck S, Andersen H, Charles P, Eriksen EF. Hypovitaminosis D myopathy without biochemical signs of osteomalacic bone involvement. Calcif Tissue Int 2000; 66(6):419-24.
9. Mascarenhas R, Mobarhen S. Hypovitaminosis D-induced pain. Nutr Rev 2004; 62(9):354-9.
10. Rachner TD, Khosla S and Hofbauer LC. Osteoporosis: now and the future. Lancet 2011; 377:1276–1287.
11. Rizzoli R, Boonen S, Brandi ML, Burlet N, Delmas P and Reginster JY. The role of calcium and vitamin D in the management of osteoporosis. Bone 2008; 42:246–249.
12. Kanis JA, McCloskey EV, Johansson H, Cooper C, Rizzoli R and Reginster JY. European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Osteoporosis International 2013; 24:23–57. (doi:10.1007/s00198-012-2074-y).
13. Dawson-Hughes B, Mithal A, Bonjour JP, Boonen S, Burckhardt P, Fuleihan GE, Josse RG, Lips P, Morales-Torres J and Yoshimura N. IOF position statement: vitamin D recommendations for older adults. Osteoporosis International 2010; 21:1151–1154. (doi:10.1007/s00198-010-1285-3).
14. Management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women: position statement of The North American Menopause Society. Menopause 2010; 17(1):25-54.
15. Chen CK, Nizar AJ. Myofascial Pain Syndrome in Chronic Back Pain Patients. The Korean Journal of Pain 2011; 24(2):100-104. doi:10.3344/kjp.2011.24.2.100.
16. Giamberardino MA, Affaitati G, Fabrizio A, and Costantini R. “Myofascial pain syndromes and their evaluation,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology 2011; 25(2):185–198.
17. Silva A, da Rosa M, Fernandes B, Lumertz S, Diniz R, dos Reis Damiani M. Factors associated with osteopenia and osteoporosis in women undergoing bone mineral density test. Revista Brasileira de Reumatologia (English Edition) 2015; 55(3):223-228.
18. Goswami R, Gupta N, Ray D, Singh N, Tomar N. Pattern of 25-hydroxy vitamin D response at short (2 month) and long (1 year) interval after 8 weeks of oral supplementation with cholecalciferol in Asian Indians with chronic hypovitaminosis D. Br J Nutr 2008;100:526–9.
19. Malhotra N, Mithal A, Gupta S, Shukla M, Godbole M. Effect of vitamin D supplementation on bone health parameters of healthy young Indian women. Arch Osteoporos 2009; 4(1-2):47-53.
20. Manek KA. Evaluation of efficacy of a nanoparticle based vitamin D formulation in correction of vitamin D levels in patients with documented deficiency or insufficiency of vitamin D. Int J Res Orthop 2017; 3:486-91.
21. Shah P, Kulkarni S, Narayani S, Sureka D, Dutta S, Vipat AS, Qayum M, Kamlesh P, Sachin S, Manoj N, Manoj P. Prevalence Study of Vitamin D Deficiency and to Evaluate the Efficacy of Vitamin D3 Granules 60,000 IU Supplementation in Vitamin D Deficient Apparently Healthy Adults. Indian J Clin Practice 2013; 23(12):827-32.
22. Basu TK, Donaldson D. Intestinal absorption in health and disease: micronutrients. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2003; 17:957–79.
23. Bothiraja C, Pawar A, Deshpande G. Ex-vivo absorption study of a nanoparticle based novel drug delivery system of vitamin D3 (Arachitol Nano TM) using everted intestinal sac technique. J Pharma Investigation 2016; 46:425–32.
24. McAlindon TE, Felson DT, Zhang Y, Hannan MT, Aliabadi P, Weissman B, Rush D, Wilson PW, Jacques P. Relation of dietary intake and serum levels of vitamin D to progression of osteoarthritis of the knee among participants in the Framingham Study. Ann Intern Med 1996; 125(5):353–9.
25. Atherton K, Berry DJ, Parsons T, Macfarlane GJ, Power C, Hypponen E. Vitamin D and chronic widespread pain in a white middle-aged British population: evidence from a cross-sectional population survey. Ann Rheum Dis 2009; 68(6):817–22.
26. Straube S, Derry S, Moore RA, McQuay HJ. Vitamin D for the treatment of chronic painful conditions in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010; (1):CD007771.
27. Mak JC, Klein LA, Finnegan T, Mason RS, Cameron ID. An initial loading-dose vitamin D versus placebo after hip fracture surgery: baseline characteristics of a randomized controlled trial (REVITAHIP). BMC Geriatr 2014; 14:101.
28. Simpson RU, Thomas GA, Arnold AJ. Identification of 1, 25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptors and activities in muscle. J Biol Chem 1985; 260(15):8882–91.
29. Bischoff HA, Stahelin HB, Dick W, Akos R, Knecht M, Salis C, et al. Effects of vitamin D and calcium supplementation on falls: a randomized controlled trial. J Bone Miner Res 2003; 18(2):343–51.
30. Kennel KA, Drake MT, Hurley DL. Vitamin D Deficiency in Adults: When to Test and How to Treat. Mayo Clin Proc 2010; 85(8):752–8.
31. Straube S, Andrew Moore R, Derry S, McQuay HJ. Vitamin D and chronic pain. Pain 2009; 141(1–2):10–3.
32. von Kanel R, Muller-Hartmannsgruber V, Kokinogenis G, Egloff N. Vitamin D and central hypersensitivity in patients with chronic pain. Pain Med 2014; 15(9):1609–18.
33. Bruno S. Oral insulin delivery by means of solid lipid nanoparticles. Int J Nanomedicine 2007; 2(4):743-9.
34. Luo Y. Development of zein nanoparticles coated with carboxymethyl chitosan for encapsulation and controlled release of vitamin D3. J Agric Food Chem 2012; 60(3):836-43.
35. Warner AE, Arnspiger SA. Diffuse musculoskeletal pain is not associated with low vitamin D levels or improved by treatment with vitamin D. J Clin Rheumatol 2008;14(1):12–6.
36. Di Munno O, Beghe F, Favini P, Di Giuseppe P, Pontrandolfo A, Occhipinti G, Pasero G. Prevention of glucocorticoid-induced osteopenia: effect of oral 25-hydroxyvitamin D and calcium. Clin Rheumatol 1989; 8(2):202–7.
37. Wepner F, Scheuer R, Schuetz-Wieser B, Machacek P, Pieler-Bruha E, Cross HS, et al. Effects of vitamin D on patients with fibromyalgia syndrome: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Pain 2014; 155(2):261–8.
38. McAlindon T, LaValley M, Schneider E, Nuite M, Lee JY, Price LL, Lo G, Dawson-Hughes B. Effect of vitamin D supplementation on progression of knee pain and cartilage volume loss in patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2013; 309(2):155–62.
39. Sakalli H, Arslan D, Yucel AE. The effect of oral and parenteral vitamin D supplementation in the elderly: a prospective, double-blinded, randomized, placebo controlled study. Rheumatol Int 2012; 32(8):2279–83.
40. Schreuder F, Bernsen RM, van der Wouden JC. Vitamin D supplementation for nonspecific musculoskeletal pain in non-Western immigrants: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Fam Med 2012; 10(6):547–55.
41. Abdulkareem U, Nordin Bin Simbak, Naresh Bhaskar Raj, Aisha A, Shmaila H, Ashiru Hamza Muhammad, Mahadeva Rao US. Effect of Combined Brain and Back Muscle Stimulations on Level of Physical Disability among Chronic Low Back Pain Patients. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(10):3326-3330.
42. Aparna PP, Geetha P. Shanmugasundaram. Comparison of Aceclofenac and combination (Aceclofenac + Thiocolchicoside) therapy in acute low back pain patients. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2016; 9(11): 1927-1929.