Objective: The objective of this study was developed and validated of a simple, rapid and accurate GC method for quantitative determination of thymol which considers as a chemical marker in thyme extract and in the final formulation by GC-FID chromatography. Method: thymol analysis was done by using menthol as internal standard, chromatographic conditions were TRB-5-625 capillary column and its specification 60m?0.25mm i.d0.25µm film thickness and nitrogen as a carrier gas at a flow rate of 0.6mL/min. The oven temperature was programmed between 185? and 235? for 16min. The injector and detector temperatures were maintained 290?. Detection was done by using flame ionization detector FID. Results: the developed method was validated according to ICH guidelines. The developed method was given accepted linearity which R>0.99 in the concentration range of 1-40mg/10ml of thymol, accuracy with mean recovery values between 98%-102%, precision with relative standard deviation of the calculated concentration was less than 2%. Conclusion: The results showed that the developed method was effective in determination of thymol in pharmaceutical forms and routine analysis in quality control laboratories simply.
Cite this article:
Raghad Helaliy, Fadi Alrouh, Saleh Trefi, Yaser Bitar. Determination Thymol in Thyme extract and its Pharmaceutical forms by using Gas Chromatography method. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(9):4055-4060. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00717.9
Raghad Helaliy, Fadi Alrouh, Saleh Trefi, Yaser Bitar. Determination Thymol in Thyme extract and its Pharmaceutical forms by using Gas Chromatography method. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(9):4055-4060. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00717.9 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-9-5
1. Kaushik.A, Chauhan.V and Sudha. Formulation and Evaluation of Herbal Cough Syrup. European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research. 2016;3(5): 517-522.
2. Mujawar.F, Patil.M .and Sawale.J. Formulation and Evaluation of Herbal Cough Syrup of Echinops Echinatus Roxb Roots. International Journal of Pharmacy δTechnology. 2016;8(2): 12718-12741.
3. Mohammad. H, Prabhu K, Rao. M, Sundram. R, Shil. S and Vijayalakshmi. N. The Gc Ms Studies of One Ayurvedic Medicine, Amritarishtam. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(1): 351-356.
4. Pires.P Buenoa, Juniorb.M and Bastosa.J. A GC-FID Validated Method for the Quality Control of Eucalyptus globulus Raw Material and its Pharmaceutical Products, and GC-MS Fingerprinting of12 Eucalyptus Species. Natural Product Communications. 2014;9(12): 1787-1790.
5. Apela.M, Rodriguesb.R, Soaresc.L and Henriques.A. Quantification of the Components in Commercial Essential Oil of Eucalyptus globulus Labill. by Gas Chromatography – GC-FID and GC-MS. Drug Analysis Research. 2017;1(2): 9-14.
6. Dedić M.a, Bečić E,.a Imamović B,a Žiga N,b, Medanhodžić-Vuk S and c Šober M.. HPLC Method for Determination the Content of Thymol and Carvacrol in Thyme Tincture. Bulletin of the Chemists and Technologists of Bosnia and Herzegovina. 2018;50(1): 1-6.
7. Radulesco.V, Pavel.M, Tanase.T and Ilies.D. Analysis of Volatile Compounds from Infusion and Hydrodistillate Obtained from the Species Thymus Pulegioides L. (Lamiaceae). Farmacia. 2009; 57(3): 282-289.
8. Salehi.B, Mishra.A, Shukla.I, Sharifi-Rad.M, del Mar Contreras.M, Segura-Carretero.M, Fathi.H, Nasrabadi.N, Kobarfard.F and Sharifi-Rad.J. Thymol, thyme, and other plant sources: Health and potential uses. Wiley. 2018: 1-19.
9. Prakash.C, Ansari.S, Kaur.G, Ilyas.U, Ishal.M, Ram.N and Singh.G. Analytical Method Development and its Validation for the Estimation of Thymol in Tachyspermum Ammi Mill Fruit by Gas Liquid Chromatography. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2010;1(9): 115-119.
10. Chemat.S, Cherfouh.R, Meklati.B and Belanteur.K. Composition and Microbial Activity of thyme (Thymus algeriensis genuinus) essential oil. Journal of Essential Oil Research. 2012;24(1): 5-11.
11. Moualla.M, Naser.M. Using GC/MS to Study the Chemical Composition of Essential Oil of Thymus Vulgaris L. at Al- Qadmous Area, Syria. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2015;8(4): 437-442
12. Dhahir.S. Determination of Thymol in Pure and Pharmaceutical Preparation by Diazotization – Coupling Method with 2,4- Dichloroaniline as the Coupling Agent. Journal of Kufa for Chemical Science. 2011;1(2): 99-108.
13. United States Pharmacopeia- National Formulary andits supplements, USP38-NF33,2015.
14. Meeran.M, Javed.H, AlTaee.H, Azimullah.S and Ojha.S. Pharmcological Properties and Molecular Mechanisms of Thymol: Prospects for Its Therapeutic Potential and Pharmaceutical Development. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2017;8(380): 1-34.
15. Hasan.H, Hassan.S and Luaibi.O. Effect of Thymus vulgaris leaves Extract and Ceftriaxone on Induced Pyometra in Mice. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(10): 4683-4688.
16. Iroko.M, Khokhlenkova.N. The Use of Phytomedicines in Dentistry. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016;9(5): 581-586.
17. Begrow.F, Engelbertz.J, Feistel.B, Lehnfeld.R, Bauer.K and Verspohl.E. Impact of Thymol in Thyme Extracts on Their Antispasmodic Action and Ciliary Clearance. Planta Med. 2010;76(1): 311–318.
18. German pharmacopeia, DAB.2006.
19. Haque.R, Ansari.S, Najmi.A and Naquvi.K. Validated HPTLC Analysis Method for Quantification of Thymol Content in Trachyspermum Ammi and Polyherbal Unani Formulation Arq zeera. International journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. 2012;4(3): 478-482.
20. Khdair.A, Mohammad.M, Tawaha.K, Al-Hamarsheh.E, Hatim.S. AlKhatib, Al-khalidi.B, Bustanji.Y, Najjar.S, and Hudaib.M. A Validated RP HPLC-PAD Method for the Determination of Hederacoside C in Ivy-Thyme Cough Syrup. International Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 2010:1-5.
21. Al-Sheibany.I, Kadhim.K and Abdullah.A . Qualitative and Quantitative Evaluation of some Organic Compounds in Iraqi Thyme. National Journal of Chemistry. 2005;19(1): 366-379.
22. Al-Abachi.M, Al-NajjarN. Flow Injection Spectrophotometric Determination of Thymol using 4-Aminoantipyrine and Copper(II) Nitrate. Baghdad Science Journal. 2015;12(2): 232-238.
23. L.Fibranz and C.E.Miller. Colorimetric Determination of Thymol in Thyme Oil. Journal of the American pharmaceutical Associatin. 1958;47(2): 133-135.
24. Fritz.J and Keen.R. Titration of Phenols in Nonaqueous Solvents. Analytical chemistry. 1953;25(1): 179-181.
25. Saini.N, Singh.G. Gas Chromatographic Validated Method for Quantification of Ayurvedic Polyherbal formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2015;9(1): 200-205.
26. Devaarajan.A and Raja.MK. Identification and Analysis of Chemical Constituents of Rasam by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017;10(12): 4183-4187.
27. Toure.A and Xiaoming.Z. Gas Chromatographic Analysis of Volatile Components of Guinean and Chinese Ginger Oils (Zingiber officinale) Extracted by Steam Distillation. Journal of Agronomy. 2007;6(2): 350-355.
28. Bitar Y. Separation and Assay of Three Anti-Cough Drugs Pseudoephedrine, Dextromethorphan and Chlorpheniramine in Pharmaceutical Forms by Using Single RP-HPLC Method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019 (In Press)
29. Trefi S, Bitar Y, Gilard V, Separation and Quantification of Sacubitril-Valsartan combination in Tablets by a New ion- HPLC, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(3):1117-1022.
30. Hammash L, Bitar Y, Trefi S, Novel Ion Pair HPLC Methods For The Assessment of Sitagliptin and Pioglitazone in Tablets, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(8): 1-7.
31. Prasanna Reddy Battu, MS Reddy, RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen in Tablets, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009;2(1):70-72.
32. RK Godge, MC Damle, SR Pattan, PN Kendre, S N Lateef, PJ Burange, RP- HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Pseudoephidrine Sulphate and Desloratidine from Bulk and Tablets, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009;2(2):139-142.
33. Meeta A Jiladia, SS Pandya, Viidyasagar G, A Simple and Sensitive HPTLC Method for Estimation of Pioglitazone In Bulk and Tablet Dosage Forms, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009;2(2):207-209.
34. Girase C. J., Venkateshwarlu G., Banerjee k. S. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Ceftriaxone Sodium and Sulbactam Sodium in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulation, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009;2(3):280-284.
35. R Siva Kumar, MR Santhanakrishnan, P Kumar Nallasivan, R Venkatanarayanan, Simultaneous RP-HPLC Method for Estimation of Ezetimibe and Simvastatin in Bulk and Dosage Forms, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008;1(3):211-214.
36. Sohan S. Chitlange, Mohammed Imran, Kiran Bagri, DM Sakarkar, A stability-indicating reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography method for the simultaneous determination of ramipril and valsartan in pharmaceutical dosage form, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008;1(3):215-217.
37. Ismail, R Rajavel, M Ganesh, M Jagadeeswaran, K Srinivasan, J Valarmathi, T Sivakumar, RP-HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Aspirin, Atorvastatin and Pioglitazone in Capsule Dosage Form, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2008;1(1):40-42.
38. Kirchhoff C., Bitar Y., Ebel S., Holzgrabe U. Analysis of atropine, its degradation products and related substances of nature origin by means of reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 2004;1046:115–120.
39. ICH Q2(R1). Validation of analytical procedure: text and methodology. International conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use.2005
40. Bhardwaja.S, Dwivedia.K and Agarwala.D. A Review: GC Method Development and Validation. International Journal of Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2016;6(1): 1-7.
41. U Holzgrabe, D Brinz, S Kopec, C Weber, Y Bitar, Why not using capillary electrophoresis in drug analysis, Electrophoresis 2006; 27 (12): 2283-2292
42. Y Bitar, U Holzgrabe, Impurity profiling of atropine sulfate by microemulsion electrokinetic chromatography, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2007; 44: 623-633.
43. Grigore.A, Paraschiv.I, Colceru-mihul.S, Bubueanu.C, Draghici.E and Ichim.M. Chemical Composition and Antioxidant Activity of Thymus vulgaris L. Volatile Oil Obtained by Two Different Method. Romanian Biotechnological Letters. 2010;15(4): 5436-5443.
44. Bishr.B, El-Degwy.M, Amin.M and Mourad.M. Application of GC-MS in Quantitative Analysis of Some Carminative Syrups. Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences. 2015;10(6): 42-46.