Ravula Nanditha, Saravanan J, Praveen T K, Deepa S, Emdormi Rymbai
Ravula Nanditha, Saravanan J, Praveen T K*, Deepa S, Emdormi Rymbai
Department of Pharmacology, JSS College of Pharmacy, JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Ooty, The Nilgiris 643 001.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2020
The objective of the current study is to investigate the anticancer, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the bark extracts of Alstonia scholaris L. The barks were extracted with n-hexane, chloroform, ethyl acetate and methanol using soxhlet apparatus. The antioxidant potential of all the extracts was estimated by DPPH method. The antimicrobial property of the plant extracts was determined by disc diffusion method using gram positive, gram negative and fungal strains. The anticancer property was determined by MTT assay on HepG2 and HT-29 cells. All extracts exhibited significant antoxidant potential with fraction 1 of ethyl acetate extract showing the highest antioxidant potential. All extracts displayed antibacterial activity against all the selected gram-positive strains and some gram negative strains. All the extracts were found to have antifungal activity against Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Candida albicans at a concentration of 2mg but only methanolic extract was found to have activity against Aspergillus niger and Aspergillus flavus. The maximum cytotoxic effect was exhibited by ethyl acetate and methanolic extract on HepG2 and HT-29 respectively.
Cite this article:
Ravula Nanditha, Saravanan J, Praveen T K, Deepa S, Emdormi Rymbai. Evaluation of Anti-cancer, Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Activities of Alstonia scholaris L. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(9):4153-4157. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00733.7
1. Kaushik P, Kaushik D, Sharma N, Rana A C. Alstonia scholaris: Its Phytochemistry and pharmacology. Chron Young Sci 2011; 2:71-8
2. Thankamani V, James J, Veettil A, Sagadevan L. Phytochemical screening and antimicrobial activity of Alstonia scholaris flowers (L) R.BR. Fam: Apocynaceae. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development.2011; 3(3): 172-178.
3. Swafiya Jahan, Ranu Chaudhary and Pradeep Kumar Goyal. Anticancer Activity of an Indian Medicinal Plant, Alstonia scholaris, on Skin Carcinogenesis in Mice. Integrative cancer therapies.2009; 8(3): 273.
4. Nidhi Saxena, PN Shrivastava and RC Saxena. Antibacterial Efficacy of Alstonia Scholaris (L.) R. Br. root Bark Extracts. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences.2013; 1(4): 965.
5. Patel Rajesh M and Patel Natvar J. In vitro antioxidant activity of coumarin compounds by DPPH, Super oxide and nitric oxide free radical scavenging methods. Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education and Research.2011; 1: 52-68.
6. Yadav D, Kumar A, Kumar P, Mishra D. Antimicrobial properties of black grape ( Vitis vinifera L.) peel extracts against antibiotic- resistant pathogenic bacteria and toxin producing molds. Indian J Pharmacol 2015;47:663-7
7. Dhakshanamoorthy S, Krishnan MM, Arumugham MN. Synthesis, characterisation, DNA binding/cleavage, anticancer and antimicrobial activity of ternary copper (II) complexes. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2017 May 1;10(3):312-8.
8. Singh MK, Prathapan A, Nagori K, Ishwarya S, Raghu KG. Cytotoxic and Antimicrobial Activity of Methanolic Extract of Boerhaavia diffusa L. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010;3(4):1061-3.
9. Kulkarni SS, Mehere AP, Shenoy PA. Synthesis and In-Vitro Antimicrobial Activity of 4-(Piperazin-1-Ylcarbonyl) Aniline–An Amide Derivative of P-Aminobenzoic Acid. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2009;2(3):300-3.
10. Rajput S, Sisodia D, Badwaik H, Thakur D, Nagori K. Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Activity of A 5 (4-(4-Substituted) Aminobenzylidine) Thiazolidine-2, 4-Dione Derivatives. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011;4(1):40-3.
11. Alam Khan, Moizur Rahman, M.S. Islam. Antibacterial, antifungal and cytotoxic activities of ambylone isolated from Amorphophallus campanulatus. Indian J Pharmacol 2008; 40 (1):41-44.
12. Sabale PM, Patel P, Kaur P. 1, 2, 3, 4-Tetrahydroquinoline Derivatives and its Significance in Medicinal Chemistry. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2013;6(6):599-610.
13. Rao TS, Akkamma HG, Vikram BS. Synthesis and In Vitro Antifungal and Anthelmintic Activity Studies of Some Substituted Aryloxy-4-Thiazolidinones. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2010;3(2):508-12.
14. Bharti D, Arora C. Synergistic effect of antifungal activity of medicinal plants with transition metal ferrocyanides. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011;4(9):1428-31.
15. Virupaxappa BS, Kulkarni RM, Shivaprasad KH, Latha MS. Kinetic Spectrophotometric Determination of Antifungal Drugs in Pharmaceuticals. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012 Jan 28;5(6):767-73.
16. Chao Liang, Hui Pan, Haizhou Li, Yang Zhao, Yang Feng. In vitro anticancer activity and cytotoxicity screening of phytochemical extracts from selected traditional Chinese medicinal plants. JBUON 2017; 22(2): 544-551.
17. Karpagam T, Firdous J, Priya S, Varalakshmi B, Gomathi S, Geetha S, Muhamad N. Anti-Cancer Activity of Aloe Vera Ethanolic Leaves Extract against In vitro Cancer Cells. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(5):2167-70.
18. Hanifah RS, Novitarani NA, Harmen F, Tedjo A, Azizah NN, Putrianingsih R, Fachri W, Kusmardi K. The Inhibition of Ethanol Extract of Phaleria macrocarpa Stem Bark on COX-2 Expression of HCT116 Colorectal Cancer Cell Line. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019;12(6):2902-6.
19. Shi LS, Wu CH, Yang TC, Yao CW, Lin HC, Chang WL. Cytotoxic effect of triterpenoids from the root bark of Hibiscus syriacus. Fitoterapia 2014; 97:184-191.
20. Vijayarathna S, Sasidharan S. Cytotoxicity of methanol extracts of Elaeis guineensis on MCF-7 and Vero cell lines. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2012; 2(10):826-829.
21. Darshna Fulmali, Sudhir Pandit, Archana Kannamwar. Genotoxicity of Mytomycin C cytogenetic study. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences. 2017; 16 (3): 95-101
22. Jain P.K, Agrawal R K. Antioxidant and free radical scavenging properties of developed mono and poly herbal formulations. Asian J. Exp. Sci. 2008; 22(3): 213- 220.
23. Diplock AT, Charleux JL, Crozier-Willi G, et al. Functional food science and defence against reactive oxygen species. British Journal of Nutrition 1998; 80(Suppl 1):S77-S112.
24. Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, et al. Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology 2007; 39(1):44-84.