Mansour Abdulnabi H. Mehdi, Fadel Y. S. Alarabi, Gozif Mohammed N. Omar, Khaled Nasher Q. Salem, Vidya Pradhan
Mansour Abdulnabi H. Mehdi1*, Fadel Y. S. Alarabi1, Gozif Mohammed N. Omar2, Khaled Nasher Q. Salem3, Vidya Pradhan1
1Department of Zoology, Dr. Rafiq Zakaria College for Women, Aurangabad, 431001 India.
2Department of Biochemistry, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, 431001, India.
3Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Aden University-Yemen.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2020
This study was designed to evaluate the changes in some heamatological parameters of Entamoeba histolytica-infected rats treated with ethanolic and aqueous extracts of Ziziphus mauritiana leaves. The ethanolic and aqueous extracts of the leave at 500mg/kg-1 body weight/day, while a standard antiamoebic drug, metronidazole, at a dose of 500mg/kg-1 body weight was administered on the positive control group for 10 days. The negative control group was uninfected and untreated. The haematological parametrats in the different groups were monitored throughout the period of study which was 10 days on three stages. The results show a significant increase at P=0.05 in red blood cell count (RBC), haemoglobin (Hb), hematocrit (HCT), mean cell volume (MCV), red cell distribution width (RDW), procalcitonin test (PCT) and total white blood cell (WBC) in groups which treated with Z. mauritiana extracts compare with metronidazole drug and the control group during treatment stages. While the results show a significant decrease at P=0.05 in platelet (PLT), mean platelet volume (MPV), platelet distribution width (PDW), monocyte (MO) and granulocytes (GR) when compared to the control groups of rats. The results also indicate no significant changes at P>0.05 in mean corpuscular haemoglobin (MCH), mean corpuscular haemoglobin concentration (MCHC) and count lymphocyte (LY) during treatment stages. Conclusion: The findings of this study, that the efficiency of Z. mauritiana extracts in improving blood standards through variations occurring in blood proportion and not adversely affect the haematological parameters.
Cite this article:
Mansour Abdulnabi H. Mehdi, Fadel Y. S. Alarabi, Gozif Mohammed N. Omar, Khaled Nasher Q. Salem, Vidya Pradhan. Evaluation of haematological changes in Entamoeba histolytica-infected rats administered with extracts of Ziziphus mauritiana leaves. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(9):4105-4110. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00725.8
1. Tachibana H, Matsumoto N, Tsukamoto H, Yoshihara, E. Improved affinity of a human anti-E. histolytica Gal\GalNAc Lectin Fab fragment by a single amino acid modification of the light chain. Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology. 2004; 11:1085-1088.
2. Al-Warid HS, Musa IS, Al-Qadhi BN. Iron deficiency and anthropometry in children infected with Entamoeba histolytica. International Journal of Recent Scientific Research. 2013; 4:823- 826.
3. Ravdin JI, Stauffer MM, Mendell GL, Benneth JE Dolin R. Entamoeba histolytica (Amoebiasis). In (Mendell, Doglas and Benneth) principles and practice of infectious diseases. 6th ed. Philadelphia, P. A. Churchill Livingstone; 2005.
4. Schlosser S, Leitsch D, Duchêne M. Entamoeba histolytica: identification of thioredoxin-targeted proteins and analysis of serine acetyltransferase-1 as a prototype example. The Biochemical Journal. 2013; 451:277-288.
5. Bautista E, Calzada F, Ortega A, Yépez-Mulia L. Antiprotozoal activity of flavonoids isolated from Mimosa tenuiflora (Fabaceae-Mimosoideae). The Journal of the Mexican Chemical Society. 2011; 55:251-253.
6. Mehdi MAH, Alarabi FY, Farooqui M, Pradhan V. Phytochemical screening and antiamebic studies of Tamarindus indica of leaves extract. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2019; 12(2):507-512.
7. Palhares D. Secnidazole for metronidazole-resistant amebiasis. Brasília méd. 2008; 45(4), 309-310.
8. Okala A, Ladan MJ, Wasagu RSU, Shehu K. Phytochemical studies and in vitro antioxidant properties of Ziziphus mauritiana fruit extract. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Phytopharmacological Research. 2014; 6(4): 885-888.
9. Al-Arabi FY, Mehdi MAH, Farooqui M, Pradhan V. The effect of Aloe vera extracts on the viability of Echinococcus granulosus protoscolices. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2019; 10(4):184-189.
10. Braga LC, Gomes ML, Silva MW, Paiva C, Sales A, Mann BJ. Entamoeba histolytica and Entamoeba dispar infections as detected by monoclonal antibody in an urban slum in Fortaleza, Northeastern Brazil. Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical. 2001; 34:467-471.
11. Sunmonu TO, Oloyede OB. Performance and haematological indices in rats exposed to monocrotophos contamination. Human and experimental toxicology. 2010; 29:845-850.
12. Mehdi MAH, Alarabi FY, Omar GMN, Pradhan V. Effect of extracts on haematological parameters in albino rats Tamarindus indica infected with parasite Entamoeba histolytica. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2019; 5(5):889-894.
13. Hussein RA, Shaker MJ. The relationship between the infection with E. histolytica and some blood parameters. Diyala Journal For Pure Science. 2016; 12(1):133-142.
14. Kotepui M, Piwkham D, PhunPhuech B, Phiwklam N, Chupeerach C, Duangmano S. Effects of malaria parasite density on blood cell parameters. PLoS One. 2015; 10(3): e0121057.
15. Kabiru AY, Abdulkadir A, Timothy A, Gbodi UM. Evaluation of haematological changes in Plasmodium-berghei-infected mice administered with aqueous extract of Phyllantus amarus. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 2013; 16(11)510-516.
16. Ahmed SG, Ibrahim UA, Hassan AW. Haematological parameters of sickle cell anaemia patients with and without priapism. Annals of Saudi Medicine. 2006; 26:439-443.
17. Ahmed SG, Uraka J. Impact of intestinal parasites on haematological parameters of sickle-cell anaemia patients in Nigeria. East Mediterr Health Journal. 2011; 17(9): 710-713.
18. Mwale M, Masika PJ, Materechera SA. Effect of medicinal plants on haematology and serum biochemical parameters of village chickens naturally infected with Heterakis gallinarum. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary Medicine. 2014; 12(2):99-106.
19. Raddam KK, Hasson AJ. The epidemiological aspects of infection with Entamoeba histologica in acute diarrhea in Thi-Qar governorate uuring the year 2006. Kufa Medical Journal. 2008; 11(1):15-24.
20. Bashir L, Shittu OK, Busari MB, Sani S, Aisha MI. Safety evaluation of giant African land snails (Archachatina maginata) haemolymph on hematological and biochemical parameters of albino rats. Journal of Advances in Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 3:122-130.
21. Lawal B, Shittu OK, Rotimi AA, Olalekan IA, Kamooru AA, Ossai PC. Effect of methanol extract of Telfairia occcidentalis on haematological parameters in wister rats. Journal of Medical Sciences. 2015; 15(5), 246-250.