Gautami. S. Penmetsa, Bhavana. P, Arunbhupati. P, Meghana. K, Kausalya. P, Venkatalakshmi. M
Gautami. S. Penmetsa*, Bhavana. P, Arunbhupati. P, Meghana. K, Kausalya. P, Venkatalakshmi. M
Department of Periodontics, Vishnu Dental College, Bhimavaram-534202, West Godavari District, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 8,
Year - 2020
Aim: To compare the efficacy of subgingivally delivered 1% Ornidazole (OrnigreatTMgel) and 3% Satranidazole gel in the treatment of chronic periodontitis. Materials and methods: The effect of satranidazole gel and OrnigreatTM gel in the reduction of periodontal disease was evaluated in a randomised, split-mouth study. Sixteen chronic periodontitis patients having pocket depths ranging from 4-6 mm bilaterally atleast in one site were included in the study. The patients were subjected to non-surgical periodontal therapy (NSPT) and were evaluated for plaque index (PI), gingival index (GI), bleeding index (BI), Probing pocket depth (PD) and clinical attachment level (CAL) both at baseline and after 4 weeks. Results: A significant improvement in bleeding index, probing pocket depth and CAL was demonstrated in both the test and control groups from baseline to 4weeks. However, on comparing Satranidazole gel group and OrnigreatTM group, the results showed no significant difference in the above-mentioned parameters after NSPT. Conclusion: Further clinical trials are needed to be carried out to evaluate the efficacy of satranidazole in longterm.
Cite this article:
Gautami. S. Penmetsa, Bhavana. P, Arunbhupati. P, Meghana. K, Kausalya. P, Venkatalakshmi. M. Comparative Evaluation of the Clinical efficacy of 3% Satranidazole and 1% Ornidazole (OrnigreatTM) gel through local drug delivery system in the treatment of Chronic periodontitis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(8):3675-3680. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00650.2
1. Priyanka N, Kalra N, Saquib S, Kudyar N, Nikhil Malgaonkar N, Jain H. Clinical and microbiological efficacy of 3% satranidazole gel as a local drug delivery system in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: A randomized, controlled clinical trial. Contemp Clin Dent.2015; 6(3): 364–370.
2. NagasreeM, Madhuri P B, Musalaiah S V V S, Kumar A, Indeevar P. Efficacy of ornidazole gel as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in chronic Periodontitis patients: a clinical and microbiological study. Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2016; 5(6).
3. Adriaens PA, De Boever JA, Loesche WJ. Bacterial invasion in root cementum and radicular dentin of periodontally diseased teeth in humans. A reservoir of periodontopathic bacteria. J Periodontol 1988; 59:222 30.
4. Tonetti MS, Pini Prato G, Cortellini P. Principles and clinical applications of periodontal controlled drug delivery with tetracycline fibers. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 1994; 14:421 35.
5. Greenstein G, Polson A. The role of local drug delivery in the management of periodontal diseases: A comprehensive review. J Periodontol 1998; 69:507-20.
6. Bansal K, Rawat MK, Jain A, Rajput A, Chaturvedi TP, Singh S. Development of satranidazole mucoadhesive gel for the treatment of periodontitis. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2009; 10(3):716-23.
7. Awasthi BB, Singh S. Comparative evaluation of satranidazole and ornidazole effectiveness in the treatment of chronic periodontal diseases along with mechanical debridement. Int J Res Med Sci2018; 6:1579-87.
8. Silness, J. and Löe, H.: Periodontal disease in pregnancy. II. Correlation between oral hygiene and perio-dontal condition. Actaodont. Scand., 22:112-135, 1964.
9. Löe, H. and Silness, J.: Periodontal disease in pregnancy. I. Prevalence and severity. Actaodont. Scand., 21:533-551, 1963.
10. Mühlemann HR, Son S. Gingival sulcus bleeding--a leading symptom in initial gingivitis. Helv Odontol Acta. 1971; 15: 107-113.
11. Sato K, Yoneyama T, Okamto H, Dahlen G, Lindhe J. The effect of subgingival debridement on periodontal parameters and the subgingivalmicobiota. J Clin Periodontol. 1993 May:20(5):359-65
12. Patel B, Shah S, Kumar S. Evaluation of Ornidazole Gel as an Adjunct to the Phase I Therapy. Adv Hum Biol. 2014; 4(3):21-25.
13. Wust J. Susceptibility of anaerobic bacteria to metronidazole, ornidazole, and tinidazole and routine susceptibility testing by standardized methods. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1977; 11(4):631-7.
14. Jiji John, Pamela Emmadi, N. Ambalavanan, Esha Verma. Comparative Evaluation of Adjunctive Use of Locally Delivered Tetracycline Fiber (Actisite) With Scaling and Root Planning in the Treatment of Chronic Periodontitisa Clinical Study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 6(1): Jan. 2013; Page 90-95.
15. Gayathri. M, Dr. Gheena. S, Gopinath. Comparison of the aerobic microbes in supragingival plaque of chronic and aggressive periodontitis patients. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2016; 9(9):1363-1366.
16. Mundade Y, Srivastava A, Somani R, Kulkarni K. A comparative study for efficacy and tolerability of satranidazole plus ofloxacin versus ornidazole plus ofloxacin in periodontal infections. 2013.
17. T Venkatachalam, S Narendiran, P Kalai Selvi, P Dheen Kumar. RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Ofloxacin and Satranidazole in Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(4): Oct.-Dec. 2009 page 469-471.
18. RS Jadhav, PN Kendre, MH Kolhe, S N Lateef, SM Shelke, RK Godge. RP- HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole from Bulk and Tablets. Research J. Science and Tech. 2009; 1(1):43-46.
19. M. Seetha Devi, G. Raveendra Babu, NVL Sirisha MulukuriA. new stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of Diloxanide and Ornidazole in bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage forms. Research J. Science and Tech.
20. Wankhede SB, Prakash A, Chitlange SS. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Ofloxacin and Satranidazole inTablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Research Chem. 1(1): July-Sept. 2008; Page 9-11.
21. Bhusari KP, Chaple DR. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole in Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(1): Jan.-March, 2009; Page 60-62.
22. SS Merukar, PS Mhaskar, SR Bavaskar, KB Burade, PN Dhabale. Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Estimation of Levofloxacin Hemihydrate and Ornidazole in Pharmaceutical Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(3): July-Sept., 2009, page 336-339.
23. Wankhede SB, Prakash A, Chitlange SS. Spectrophotometric Estimation of Satranidazole in Tablet Dosage Form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 1(4): Oct.-Dec. 2008; Page 441-443.