1. Newman DJ, Cragg GM, Snader KM. Natural products as sources of new drugs over the period 1981–2002. J Nat Prod 2003; 66:1022–37.
2. Sudani RJ, Akbari BV, Vidyasagar G. Pharmacognostical and preliminary phytochemical investigation of Embelia ribes Burm f. Int J Pharm Biol Arch 2011;2:648–51
3. Varier PS. Indian Medicinal Plants, a compendium of 500 species, Orient Longman (Pvt) Ltd., Chennai, India; 2006. p. 368–71.
4. Kirtikar KR, Basu BD. Indian Medicinal Plants, Lalit Mohan Basu, Allahabad, India; 1987. p. 1478–80.
5. Atal CK, Siddique MA, Zutashi U, Amla V, Jokri RK, Rao PG, et al. Non-narcotic, orally effective, centrally acting analgesic from an ayurvedic drug. J Ethnopharmacol 1984; 11:309–17.
6. Tambekar DH, Khante BS, Chandak BR, Titare AS, Boralkar SS, Aghadte SN. Screening of antibacterial potentials of some medicinal plants from Melghat forest in India. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2009; 6:228–32.
7. Rani P, Khullar N. Antimicrobial evaluation of some medicinal plants for their anti-enteric potential against multi–drug resistant Salmonella typhi. Phytother Res 2004; 18:670–3.
8. Kholkute SD, Kekare MB, Jathar VS, Munshi SR. Antifertility effects of Embelia ribes Burm. Indian J Exp Biol 1978;16:1035–7.
9. Low G, Rogers LJ, Brumley SP, Ehrlich D. Visual deficits and retinotoxicity caused by the naturally occurring anthelmintics, Embelia ribes and Hagenia abyssinica. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1985;81: 220–30.
10. Nazam Ansari M, Bhandari U, Islam F, Tripathi CD. Evaluation of antioxidant and neuroprotective effect of ethanolic extract of Embelia ribes Burm in focal cerebral ischemia/reperfusion induced oxidative stress in rats. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2008; 22:305–14.
11. Ansari MN, Bhandari U. Protective effect of Embelia ribes Burm on methionine induced hyperhomocysteinemia and oxidative stress in rat brain. Indian J Exp Biol 2008; 46:521–7.
12. Tabassum N, Agarwal SS. Hepatoprotective activity of Embelia ribes against paracetamol induced acute hepatocellular damage in mice. Exp Med 2003; 10:43–4.
13. Tripathi SN. Screening of hypoglycemic action in certain indigenous drugs. J Indian Med Yoga Homeopath 1979; 14:159–69.
14. Bhandari U, Kanojia R, Pillai KK. Effect of ethanolic extract of Embelia ribes on dyslipidemia in diabetic rats. Int J Exp Diab Res 2002; 3:159–62.
15. Bhandari U, Jain N, Ansari MN, Pillai KK. Beneficial effect of Embelia ribes ethanolic extract on blood pressure and glycosylated hemoglobin in streptozotocin induced diabetes in rats. Fitoterapia 2008; 79:351–5.
16. Vinutha B, Prashanth D, Salma K, Sreeja SL, Pratiti D, Padmaja R, et al. Screening of selected Indian medicinal plants for acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity. J Ethnopharmacol 2007; 109:359–63.
17. Durg S, Veerapur VP, Neelima S, Dhadde SB. Antidiabetic activity of Embelia ribes, embelin and its derivatives: a systemic review and meta-analysis. Biomed Pharmacother 2017; 86:195–204.
18. Stalin A, Irudayaraj SS, Gandhi GR, Balakrishna K, Ignacimuthu S, Al-Dhabi NA. Hypoglycemic activity of 6-bromoembelin and vilangin in high-fat diet fed-streptozotocin-induced type 2 diabetic rats and molecular docking studies. Life Sci 2016; 153:100–17.
19. Naik SR, Niture NT, Ansari AA, Shah PD. Anti-diabetic activity of embelin: involvement of cellular inflammatory mediators, oxidative stress and other biomarkers. Phytomed 2013; 20:797–804.
20. Gupta R, Sharma AK, Sharma MC, Gupta RS. Antioxidant activity and protection of pancreatic β-cells by embelin in streptozocin-induced diabetes. J Diabet 2012;4(3):248–56.
21. Gandhi GR, Stalin A, Balakrishna K, Ignacimuthu S, Paulraj MG, Vishal R. Insulin sensitization via partial agonism of PPAR-γ and glucose uptake through translocation and activation of GLUT4 in P13K/p-Akt signaling pathway by embelin in type 2 diabetic rats. Biochim Biophy Acta 2013;1830(1):2243–55.
22. Deshmukh, PT, Gupta, VB. Embelin accelerates cutaneous wound healing in diabetic rats. J Asian Nat Prod Res 2013;15(2):158–65.
23. Mahendran S, Badami S, Maithili V. Evaluation of antidiabetic effect of embelin in alloxan induced diabetes in rats. Biomed Preven Nut 2011;1(1):25–31.
24. Kocak C, Kocak FE, Akcilar R, Isiklar OO, Kocak H, Bayat Z. et al. Molecular and biochemical evidence on the protective effects of embelin and carnosic acid in isoproterenol-induced acute myocardial injury in rats. Life Sci 2016; 147:15–23.
25. Sahu BD, Anubolu H, Koneru M, Kumar JM, Kuncha M, Rachamalla SS, et al. Cardioprotective effect of embelin on isoproterenol-induced myocardial injury in rats: possible involvement of mitochondrial dysfunction and apoptosis. Life Sci 2014;107(1-2):59–67.
26. Bhandari U, Ansari MN, Islam F. Cardioprotective effect of aqueous extract of Embelia ribes Burm fruits against isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in albino rats. Indian J Exp Biol 2008;46(1):35–40.
27. Bhandari U, Ansari MN. Effect of an ethanol extract of Embelia ribes fruits on isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in albino rats. Pharm Biol 2008;46(12):928–32.
28. Chen D, Wang Z, Ding J. Cardioprotective effect of embelin ameliorates acute myocardial infarction through the inhibitions of inflammatory reactions and oxidative stress in rats. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2015;9(2):454–63.
29. Zhao ZG, Tang ZZ, Zhang WK, Li JG. Protective effects of embelin on myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury following cardiac arrest in a rabbit model. Inflammation 2015;38(2):527–33.
30. Saini P, Lakshmayya L, Bisht VS. Anti-alzheimer activity of isolated karanjin from Pongamia pinnata (L.) pierre and embelin from Embelia ribes Burm.f. Ayu 2017;38(1-2):76–81.
31. Arora R, Deshmukh R. Embelin attenuates intracerebroventricular streptozotocin-induced behavioral, biochemical, and neurochemical abnormalities in rats. Mol Neurobiol 2017;54(9):6670–80.
32. Bhuvanendran S, Kumari Y, Othman I, Shaikh MF. Amelioration of cognitive deficit by embelin in a scopolamine-induced alzheimer’s disease-like condition in a rat model. Front Pharmacol 2018; 9:1–12.
33. Dhadde SB, Nagakannan P, Roopesh M, Anand Kumar SR, Thippeswamy BS, Veerapur VP, et al. Effect of embelin against 3-nitropropionic acid-induced Huntington’s disease in rats. Biomed Pharmacother 2016; 77:52–8.
34. Thippeswamy S, Nagakannan P, Shivasharan BD, Mahendran S, Veerapur VP, Badami S. Protective effect of embelin from Embelia ribes Burm. against transient global ischemia-induced brain damage in rats. Neurotox Res 2011;20(4):379–86.
35. Nazam Ansari M, Bhandari U, Islam F, Tripathi CD. Evaluation of antioxidant and neuroprotective effect of ethanolic extract of Embelia ribes Burm in focal cerebral ischemia/ reperfusion ‐induced oxidative stress in rats. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2008;22(3):305–14.
36. Sharma A, Kaur N, Sharma S, Sharma A, Rathore MS, Ajay K, et al. Embelin-loaded guar gum microparticles for the management of ulcerative colitis. J Microencapsul 2018;35(2):181–91.
37. Nidhi, Dadwal A, Hallan SS, Sharma S, Mishra N. Development of enteric-coated microspheres of embelin for their beneficial pharmacological potential in ulcerative colitis. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol 2017;45(6):1–9.
38. Lee IS, Cho DH, Kim KS, Kim KH, Park J, Kim Y, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of embelin in A549 cells and human asthmatic airway epithelial tissues. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 2018;40(1):83–90.
39. Dharmapatni AA, Cantley MD, Marino V, Perilli E, Crotti TN, Smith MD, et al. The X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein inhibitor embelin suppresses inflammation and bone erosion in collagen antibody induced arthritis mice. Mediators of Inflamm 2015; 64042:1–10.
40. Zhou XL, Huang L, Cao J. Embelin reduces systemic inflammation and ameliorates organ injuries in septic rats through downregulating STAT3 and NF-κB pathways. Inflammation 2015;38(4):1556–62.
41. Mahendran S, Badami S, Ravi S, Thippeswamy BS, Veerapur VP. Synthesis and evaluation of analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of most active free radical scavenging derivatives of embelin-A structure-activity relationship. Chem Pharm Bull 2011;59(8):913–9.
42. Kalyan Kumar G, Dhamotharan R, Kulkarni NM, Mahat MY, Gunasekaran J, Ashfaque M. Embelin reduces cutaneous TNF-α level and ameliorates skin edema in acute and chronic model of skin inflammation in mice. Eur J Pharmacol 2011;662(1-3):63–9.
43. Kumar GK, Dhamotharan R, Kulkarni NM, Honnegowda S, Murugesan S. Embelin ameliorates dextran sodium sulfate-induced colitis in mice. Int Immunopharmacol 2011;11(6):724–31.
44. Parvez MK, Tabish Rehman M, Alam P, Al-Dosari MS, Alqasoumi SI, Alajmi MF. Plant-derived antiviral drugs as novel hepatitis B virus inhibitors: Cell culture and molecular docking study. Saudi Pharm J 2019;27(3):389–400.
45. Hossan MS, Fatima A, Rahmatullah M, Khoo TJ, Nissapatorn V, Galochkina AV, et al. Antiviral activity of Embelia ribes Burm. f. against influenza virus in vitro. Arch Virol 2018; 163:2121–31.
46. Ning NZ, Liu X, Chen F, Zhou P, Hu L, Huang J, et al. Embelin restores carbapenem efficacy against NDM-1-positive pathogens. Front Microbiol 2018; 9:71.
47. Pena R, Martin P, Feresin GE, Tapia A, Machín F, Estevez-Braun A. Domino synthesis of embelin derivatives with antibacterial activity. J Nat Prod 2016; 79:970–7
48. Sivasankar C, Gayathri S, Bhaskar JP, Krishnan V, Pandian SK. Evaluation of selected Indian medicinal plants for antagonistic potential against Malassezia spp. and the synergistic effect of embelin in combination with ketoconazole. Microb Pathog 2017; 110:66–72.
49. Rondevaldova J, Leuner O, Teka A, Lulekal E, Havlik J, Van Damme P, Kokoska L. In vitro antistaphylococcal effects of Embelia schimperi extracts and their component embelin with oxacillin and tetracycline. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2015; 2015:175983.
50. Chitra M, Devi CSS, Sukumar E. Antibacterial activity of embelin. Fitoterapia 2003;74, 401–3.
51. Feresin GE, Tapia A, Sortino M, Zacchino S, de Arias AR, Inchausti A, et al. Bioactive alkyl phenols and embelin from Oxalis erythrorhiza. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;88(2-3):241–7.
52. Alam MS, Ahad A, Abidin L, Aqil M, Mir SR, Mujeeb M. Embelin-loaded oral niosomes ameliorate streptozotocin-induced diabetes in Wistar rats. Biomed Pharmacother 2018; 97:1514–20.
53. Caruso F, Paumier S, Rossi M. X-ray crystal structure of embelin and its DFT scavenging of superoxide radical. J Comput Chem 2018; 39:1143–48.
54. Joshi R, Kamat JP, Mukherjee T. Free radical scavenging reactions and antioxidant activity of embelin: biochemical and pulse radiolytic studies. Chem Biol Interact 2007;167(2):125–34.
55. Sumino M, Sekine T, Ruangrungsi N, Igarashi K, Ikegami F. Ardisiphenols and other antioxidant principles from the fruits of Ardisia colorata. Chem Pharm Bull 2002;50(11):1484–7.
56. Narayanaswamy R, Shymatak M, Chatterjee S, Wai LK, Arumugam G. Inhibition of angiogenesis and nitric oxide synthase (NOS), by embelin and vilangin using in vitro, in vivo and in silico studies. Adv Pharm Bull 2014; 4:543–8.
57. Coutelle O, Hornig-Do HT, Witt A, Andree M, Schiffmann LM, Piekarek M, et al. Embelin inhibits endothelial mitochondrial respiration and impairs neoangiogenesis during tumor growth and wound healing. EMBO Mol Med 2014; 6:624–39.
58. Deshmukh PT, Gupta VB. Embelin accelerates cutaneous wound healing in diabetic rats. J Asian Nat Prod Res 2013;15(2):158–65.
59. Kumara Swamy HM, Krishna V, Shankarmurthy K, Abdul Rahiman B, Mankani KL, Mahadevan KM, et al. Wound healing activity of embelin isolated from the ethanol extract of leaves of Embelia ribes Burm. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;109(3):529–34.
60. Radhakrishnan N, Alam M. Antifertility activities of embelin in albino rats. Indian J Exp Biol 1975; 3:70–1.
61. Kholkute SD, Kekare MB, Jathar VS, Munshi SR. Antifertility effects of Embelia ribes Burm. Indian J Exp Biol 1978;16(10):1035–7.
62. Krishnaswamy M, Purushothaman KK. Antifertility properties of Embelia ribes. Indian J Exp Biol 1980;18(6):638–9.
63. Seshadri C, Suganthan D, Santhakumari G. Biochemical changes in the uterus and cervix of ovariectomized rats treated with embelin. Indian J Exp Biol 1979; 17:1389–90.
64. Li Y, Dong C, Xu MJ, Lin WH. New alkylated benzoquinones from mangrove plant Aegiceras corniculatum with anticancer activity. J Asian Nat Prod Res 2019; 5:1–10
65. Qian H, Huang T, Chen Y, Li X, Gong W, Jiang G, et al. X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein inhibitor embelin induces apoptosis via PI3K/Akt pathway and inhibits invasion in osteosarcoma cells. J Cancer Res Ther 2018: S648–S55.
66. Prabhu KS, Achkar IW, Kuttikrishnan S, Akhtar S, Khan AQ, Siveen KS, et al. Embelin: a benzoquinone possesses therapeutic potential for the treatment of human cancer. Future Med Chem 2018; 10:961–76.
67. Lee YJ, Park BS, Park HR, Yu SB, Kang HM, Kim IR. XIAP inhibitor embelin induces autophagic and apoptotic cell death in human oral squamous cell carcinoma cells. Environ Toxicol. 2017; 32:2371–8.
68. Prabhu KS, Siveen KS, Kuttikrishnan S, Iskandarani A, Tsakou M, Achkar IW, et al. Targeting of X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein and PI3-kinase/Akt signaling by embelin suppresses growth of leukemic cells. PLoS One 2017;12(7)1–17.
69. Sumalatha K, Gowda M, Meenakshisundaram S. ROS-mediated induction of apoptosis by benzoquinone embelin in human colon adenocarcinoma cells HT-29. J Complement Integr Med 2017;14(2):20160131.
70. Lu H, Wang J, Wang Y, Qiao L, Zhou Y. Embelin and its role in chronic diseases. Adv Exp Med Biol 2016; 928:397–418.
71. Xu CL, Zheng B, Pei JH, Shen SJ, Wang JZ. Embelin induces apoptosis of human gastric carcinoma through inhibition of p38 MAPK and NF-κB signaling pathways. Mol Med Rep 2016; 14:307–12.
72. Nigam N, Grover A, Goyal S, Katiyar SP, Bhargava P, Wang PC, et al. Targeting mortalin by embelin causes activation of tumor suppressor p53 and deactivation of metastatic signaling in human breast cancer cells. PLoS One 2015;10(9):1–15.
73. Avisetti DR, Babu KS, Kalivendi SV. Activation of p38/JNK pathway is responsible for embelin induced apoptosis in lung cancer cells: transitional role of reactive oxygen species. PLoS One. 2014;9(1):1–10.
74. Wang DG, Sun YB, Ye F, Li W, Kharbuja P, Gao L, et al. Anti-tumor activity of the X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis (XIAP) inhibitor embelin in gastric cancer cells. Mol Cell Biochem 2014;386(1-2):143–52.
75. Dai Y, Qiao L, Chan KW, Yang M, Ye J, Ma J, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma contributes to the inhibitory effects of embelin on colon carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 2009;69(11):4776–83.
76. Mori T, Doi R, Kida A, Nagai K, Kami K, Ito D, et al. Effect of the XIAP inhibitor embelin on TRAIL-induced apoptosis of pancreatic cancer cells. J Surg Res 2007;142(2):281–6.
77. Mahendran S, Badami S, Ravi S, Thippeswamy BS, Veerapur VP. Synthesis and evaluation of analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of most active antioxidant derivatives of embelin. British J Pharm Res 2014; 4:2182–99.
78. Chitra M, Sukumar E, Suja V, Devi CS. Antitumor, anti-inflammatory and analgesic property of embelin, a plant product. Chemotherapy 1994;40(2):109–13.
79. Johri RK, Dhar SK, Pahwa GS, Sharma SC, Kaul JL, Zutshi U. Toxicity studies with potassium embelate, a new analgesic compound. Indian J Exp Biol 1990; 28:213–7.
80. Gao Y, Li J, Xu X, Wang S, Yang Y, Zhou J, et al. Embelin attenuates adipogenesis and lipogenesis through activating canonical Wnt signaling and inhibits high-fat-diet-induced obesity. Int J Obes 2017;41(5):729–38.
81. Chaudhari HS, Bhandari U, Khanna G. Preventive effect of embelin from Embelia ribes on lipid metabolism and oxidative stress in high-fat-diet-induced obesity in rats. Planta Medica 2012;78(7):651–7.
82. Wang B, Chen X, Zhou T, Wang X. Antidepressant-like effects of embelin and its possible mechanism of action in chronic unpredictable stress-induced mice. Neurol Res 2018;40(8):666–76.
83. Durg S, B NK, Vandal R, Dhadde SB, Thippesamy BS, Veerapur VP, et al. Antipsychotic activity of embelin isolated from Embelia ribes: A preliminary study. Biomed and Pharmacother 2017; 90:328–31.
84. Mahendran S, Thippeswamy BS, Veerapur VP, Badami S. Anticonvulsant activity of embelin isolated from Embelia ribes. Phytomedicine 2011;18(2-3):186–8.
85. Gupta S, Sanyal SN, Kanwar U. Antispermatogenic effect of embelin, a plant benzoquinone, on male albino rats in vivo and in vitro. Contraception 1989;39(3):307–20.
86. Hussein G, Miyashiro H, Nakamura N, Hattori M, Kakiuchi N, Shimotohno K. Inhibitory effects of sudanese medicinal plant extracts on hepatitis C virus (HCV) protease. Phytother Res. 2000;14(7):510–6.
87. Podolak I, Galanty A, Janeczko Z. Cytotoxic activity of embelin from Lysimachia punctata. Fitoterapia. 2005;76(3-4):333–5.
88. Fang AP, Zhang YJ, Sun XF. Studies on the chemical composition of Lysimachia fortunei Maxim. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 1989;14(12):739–41.
89. Feresin GE, Tapia A, Sortino M, Zacchino S, de Arias AR, Inchausti A, et al. Bioactive alkyl phenols and embelin from Oxalis erythrorhiza. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;88(2-3):241–7.