The aim of this study was to investigate the protective effect of Moringa oleifera leaves extract on the number of leydig and sertoli cells on Rattus norvegicus due to induced high temperature. Twenty five male rat were divided into five groups, five rat for each group and administered through intragastric gavage with differents treatments for 21 days. The treatment groups were C–(NaCMC 1% 1ml), C+ (NaCMC 1% 1ml + high temperature induction), T1, T2, and T3 (100, 200, and 400mg/kg bw Moringa oleifera Lam leaves ethanol extract respectively+high temperature induction). The high temperature induction was 40°C for one hour. The observation was done by examined the histopathological changes on the numbers of Leydig and Sertoli cells. The research showed that Moringa oleifera leaves extract could protect the leydig and sertoli cells in rat testes from destructive effect of high temperature induction.
Cite this article:
Azhar Hanafi, Amaq Fadholly, Budi Utomo, A. Sudjarwo, Muchammad Yunus, Mas’ud Hariadi, Djoko Legowo. Effects of Moringa oleifera L. Extract on leydig and sertoli cells induced high Temperature on Rattus norvegicus. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(7): 3361-3364. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00597.1
1. Das R, Sailo L, Verma N, Bharti P, Saikia J, Imtiwati, Kumar R. Impact of heat stress on health and performance of dairy animals: a review. Veterinary World. 2016; 9(3): 260-268.
2. Ramaswamy S, Weinbauer GF. Endocrine control of spermatogenesis: role of FSH and LH/testosteron. Spermatogenesis. 2014; 4(2): e996025
3. Wang Y, Chen F, Ye L, Zirkin B, Chen H. Steroidogenesis in leydig cells: effects of aging and enviromental factors. Reproduction. 2017; 154(4): 111-122.
4. Fadholly A, Ansori ANM, Proboningrat A, Kusala MKJ, Putri N, Pertiwi VR, Harun VH, Blabeid SU, Ardiansyah MC, Kuncorojakti S. An investigation on the Euphoria longan (Lour.) Steud Seeds in Wound Healing in Rattus norvegicus Indian Vet. J. 2020; 97(02): 26-29.
5. Fadholly, A, Ansori ANM, Jayanti S, Proboningrat A, Kusala MKJ, Putri N, Rantam FA, Sudjarwo SA. Cyototoxic effect of Allium cepa L. extract on human colon cancer (WiDr) cells: in vitro study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(7): 3483-3486.
6. Prabsattroo T, Wattanathorn J, Iamsaard S, Sompsat P, Sritagool O, Thukhummee W, Muchimapura S. Moringa oleifera extract enhances sexual performances in stressed rats. Journal of Zhejiang University Sciences. 2015; 16(3): 179-190.
7. Tian-yang W, Qing L, Kai-shun B. Bioactive flavonoids in medical plants: structure, activity and biological fate. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 13: 12-32.
8. Gopalakrishnan L, Doriya K, Kumar DS. Moringa oleifera: a review on nutritive importance and its medicinal application. Food Science and Human Wellness. 2016; 5: 49-56.
9. Sharma DN, Battacharya L. Role of some antioxidants on mercury chloride induced spermatogenesis in swiss albino mice during pre pubertal phase of life. Indian Journal of Scientific Reserach. 2012; 1(2): 19-25.
10. Hoque R, Rana S, Nayan SB, Miraz FH, Deb GK, Nahar TN, Habib R, Siddiki MSR. Influence of multiple showering on quality of buffalo semen during hot-humid season. J. Advanced Veterinary and Animal Research. 2018; 5(1): 12-18.
11. Li R, Jia Z, Trush MA. Defining ROS in biology and medicine. React Oxyg Species (Apex). 2016; 1(1): 9-21.
12. Kehrer JP, Klotz LO. Free radicals and related reactive species as mediators of tissue injury and disease: implication for health. Crit ReV Toxicol. 2015; 45(9): 765-798.
13. Liu XY, Zhang SX, Zhang N, Hao CF, Zhuang LL, Huang X. Effects of apigenin on scrotal heat-induced damage in the mice testis, International Journal of Clinical Expert Medicine. 2016; 9(3): 6342-6347.
14. Lubrano V, Balzan S. Enzymatic antioxidant system in vascular inflamation and coronary artery disease. World J Exp Med. 2015; 5(4): 218-224.
15. Asadi N, Bahmani M, Kheradmand A, Rafieian-kopaei M. The impact of oxidative sress on testicular function and the role of antioxidants in improving it: a review. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017; 11(5): 1-5.
16. El-sheikh SM, Khairy MMA, Fadil HA, Abo-elmaaty MA. Ameliorative effect of Moringa oleifera extract on male fertility in paroxwtine treated rats. Zagazig Veterinary Journal. 2016; 44(3): 244-250.
17. Cajuday LA, Pocsidio GL. Effects of Moringa oleifera Lam (Moringaceae) on the reproduction of male mice (Mus musculus). Journal of Medicinal Palnts Research. 2010; 4: 1115-1121.
18. Graefe EU, Wittiq J, Mueller S, Riethling AK, Uehleke B, Drewelow B, Pforte H, Jacobasch G, Derendorf H, Veit M. Pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of quarcetin glycosides in humans. J Clin Pharmacol. 2001; 41(5): 492-499.
19. Thilakarathna SH, Rupasinghe HPV. Flavonoid bioavailability and attemps for bioavailability enhancement. Nutrients. 2013; 5(9): 3367-3387.
20. Zheng M, Sun R, Basu S, Ma Y, Ge S, Yin T, Gao S, Zhang J, Hu M. Disposition of flavonoids via recycling: direct biliary exertion of enterically or extrahepatically derived flavonoid glucuronides. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2016; 60(5): 1006-1019.