Introduction: Alpinia calcarata Roscoe is one of the important medicinal plants belongs to the family Zingiberaceae. In the present study, the antioxidant potential of the crude methanol extracts of the leaves of Alpinia calcarata was investigated. Methods: The four different antioxidant assays used were 2, 2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), 2,2-azino-bis (3-ethylbenzthiazoline-6-sulphonic acid) (ABTS), nitric oxide and hydrogen peroxide radical scavenging assays while the total phenolic content was assessed using the Folin-Ciocalteu method. Results: Alpinia calcarata leaves showed good free radical scavenging activity as evidenced by the IC50 values in DPPH (84.54µg/ml), in ABTS (68.32µg/ml), in nitric oxide (90.05µg/ml) and in H2O2 (98.49µg/ml) scavenging assays. Furthermore the Total phenolic content of the extract was found to be 59.25mg Gallic acid equivalent per gram of extract. Conclusion: The phenolic compounds present in the extract might be responsible for antioxidant properties of the crude extract. The leaf extract of A. calcarata showed good antioxidant activity and can be potentially used for isolation of natural antioxidant molecules.
Cite this article:
Suprava Sahoo, Subrat Kumar Kar, Bhaskar Chandra Sahoo, Sanghamitra Nayak, Basudeba Kar. Free radical scavenging potential of Alpinia calcarata Roscoe leaves. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(7): 3356-3360. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00596.X
1. Sumazian Y, Syahida A, Hakiman M, Maziah M. Antioxidant activities, flavonoids, ascorbic acid and phenolic contents of Malaysian vegetables. Journal of Medicinal Plant Research.2010, 4(10): 881-890.
2. Hazra B, Santana B, Nripendranath M. Antioxidant and free radicals scavenging activity of Spondias pinnata. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine.2008, 8: 63.
3. Hsu CY, Chan YP, Chang J. Antioxidant activity of extract from Polygonum cuspidatum. Biological Research. 2007, 40:13-21.
4. Arambewela LSR, Arawwawala LDAM, Ratnasooriya WD. Antinociceptive activities of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of Alpinia calcarata rhizomes in rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2004, 95(2-3): 311-316.
5. Jayaweera DM, Medicinal Plants Used in Ceylon. National Science Council of Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka1982, 5:213.
6. Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamueala-Raventos RM. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and the oxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Methods in Enzymology.1999, 299: 152-178.
7. Stanly C, Bhatt A, Ali HMD, Keng CL, Lim BP. Evaluation of free radical scavenging activity and total phenolic content in the petiole-derived callus cultures of Zingiber zerumbet Smith. Journal of Medicinal Plant Research.2011, 5(11): 2210-2217.
8. Blois MS. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature.1958, 181: 1199-1200.
9. Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans CA. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radical Biology and Medicine.1999, 26: 1231-1237.
10. Marcocci L, Maguire JJ, Droy MT. The nitric oxide scavenging properties of Gingo biloba extract EGb 761.Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications.1994, 15: 748-755.
11. Ruch RJ, Cheng SJ, Klaunig JE. Prevention of cytotoxicity and inhibition of intercellular communication by antioxidant catechins isolated from Chinese green tea. Carcinogen. 1989, 10: 1003-1008.
12. Rice-Evans CA, Miller NJ, Bollwell PG, Bramley PM, Pridham JB.The Relative Antioxidant Activities of Plant Derived Polyphenolic Flavonoids. Free Radical Research.1995, 22: 375-383.
13. Shahidi F, Naczk M. Method of Analysis and Quantification of Phenolic Compounds. Technomic Publishing Company, Lanchester, 1995, 287-293.
14. Sreejayan M, Rao MNA. Free radical scavenging activity of curcuminoids.Arzneimittelforsch.1996, 6: 169-171.
15. Mathew S, Abraham TE. In vitro antioxidant activities and scavenging effects of Cinnamomum verum leaf extract assayed by different methodologies. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2006, 44: 198-206.
16. Wang SY, Kuo YH, Chang HN, Kang PL, Tsay HS, Lin KF. Profiling and characterization antioxidant activities in Anoectochilus formosanus Hayata. J Agric Food Chemistry.2002,50: 1859-1965.
17. Okoh OO, Sadimenko AP, Afolayan AJ. Antioxidant activities of Rosmarinus officinalis L. essential oil obtained by hydro-distillation and solvent free microwave extraction. African Journal of Biotechnology.2011, 10: 4207-4211.