The present study was focused on establishing and validating a simple, accurate, reliable and economical High performance liquid chromatographic method and Spectrophotometric method by Simultaneous equation for determination of three herbal markers- Rutin Trihydrate (RUT), Berberine Chloride (BER) and Trigonelline Hydrochloride (TRG) in their combined dosage form. RP-HPLC separation was achieved on Inert sustain-swift, C18 column (250mm x 4.6mm i.d., 5µ) using mobile phase composed of acetonitrile: methanol: water [(15:15:70 v/v/v), pH adjusted to 3.5 with 0.1% ortho phosphoric acid) with a flow rate of 1.0ml/min. RP-HPLC quantitation was achieved with UV detection at wavelength 270nm. For spectrophotometric method, 249nm, 261 nm and 274nm were selected for determination of RUT, BER and TRG respectively. The calibration curves follow Beer’s law in the range of 50-250µg/ml in RP-HPLC and 10-30µg/ml in spectrophotometric method for RUT, BER and TRG. Correlation coefficients were found to be close to 0.999 for three drugs. The accuracy was in the range of 99.06-102.27% for all three markers. The proposed methods were successfully applied for the determination of RUT, BER and TRG in pure form and in Antidiabetic Polyherbal formulations.
Cite this article:
Palak Chaudhary, Harsha U. Patel. RP-HPLC and Spectrophotometric determination of rutin Trihydrate, Berberine chloride and trigonelline Hydrochloride in Antidiabetic Polyherbal Formulations. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(7): 3293-3299. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00584.3
Palak Chaudhary, Harsha U. Patel. RP-HPLC and Spectrophotometric determination of rutin Trihydrate, Berberine chloride and trigonelline Hydrochloride in Antidiabetic Polyherbal Formulations. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(7): 3293-3299. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00584.3 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-7-44
1. Rutoside Trihydrate, ChemIDplus, https://chem.nlm.nih.gov/ chemidplus/sid/0250249753.
2. Lian-Wen Qi, E-Hu Liu, Chu Chu, Yong-Bo Peng, Hai-Xia Cai and Ping Li. Anti-Diabetic Agents from Natural Products - An Update from 2004 to 2009. Curr. Top. Med Chem. 2010; 10: 434.
3. Berberine chloride, ChemIDplus, https://chem.nlm.nih.gov/ chemidplus/sid/ 0000633658
4. Singh A, Duggal S, Kaur N, Singh J. Berberine: Alkaloid with wide spectrum of pharmacological activities. J. Nat. Prod. 2010; 3: 64-75.
5. Trigonelline hydrochloride, ChemIDplus, https:// chem.nlm.nih.gov/chemidplus/ sid/ 0006138416.
6. Zhou J, Chan L, Zhou S. Trigonelline: A Plant Alkaloid with Therapeutic Potential for Diabetes and Central Nervous System Disease. Curre. Med. Chem. 2012; 19: 3523-3531.
7. Kumar A, Lakshman K, Jayaveera K, Satish K, Tripathi S, Estimation of rutin and quercetin in Terminalia chebula by HPLC. The Internet Journal of Aesthetic and Antiaging Medicine. 2008; 2: 1.
8. Leonardo P. Landim et al, Development and validation of a HPLC method for the quantification of three flavonoids in a crude extract of Dimorphandra gardneriana. Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy, 2013; 23(1): 58-64.
9. Pawar NP, Salunkhe VR, Development and Validation of UV Spectrophotometric Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Rutin and Gallic Acid In Hydroalcoholic Extract of ss. Int. J. of Pharmtech Res. 2013; 5(2): 724-729.
10. R Shanmugam, K Gowthamarajan, DL Priyanka, et al., Development and Validation of a RP-UFLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Quercetin and Rutin. Hygeia: J. D. Med. 2013; 5(1): 113-120.
11. Vachirapatama N, Chamnankid B, Kachonpadungkitti Y, Determination of Rutin in Buckwheat Tea and Fagopyrum tataricum Seeds by High Performance Liquid Chromatography and Capillary Electrophoresis. J Food Drug Ana. 2011; 19(4): 463-469.
12. Brown PN, Roman M. Determination of hydrastine and berberine in goldenseal raw materials, extracts, and dietary supplements by high-performance liquid chromatography with UV: collaborative study. J. AOAC Int. 2008; 91(4): 694–701.
13. Joshi H, Kanaki N. Quantitative analysis Berberine in Ayurvedic Formulation-Rasayana Churna by UV Spectrophotometry. J. Pharm. Sci. Bio-sci. Res. 2013; 3(1): 32-34.
14. Kilambi Pundarikakshudu, Dave Hiral. Simultaneous Determination of Curcumin and Berberine in their Pure Form and from the Combined Extracts of Curcuma Longa and Berberis Aristata. Int. J. App. Sci. Eng. 2010; 8(1): 19-26.
15. Shah VN, Doshi DB, Shah MB, Bhatt PA. Estimation of biomarkers berberine and gallic acid in polyherbal formulation punarnavashtak kwath and its clinical study for hepatoprotective potential. Int. J. Green Pharm. 2010; 296-301.
16. Rout KK, Pradhan S, Mishra SK. Estimation of berberine in ayurvedic formulations containing Berberis aristata. J. AOAC Int. 2008; 91(5): 1149–1153.
17. Deng Y, Liao Q, Li S, Bi K, Pan B, Xie Z. Simultaneous determination of berberine, palmatine and jatrorrhizine by liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry in rat plasma and its application in a pharmacokinetic study after oral administration of coptis–evodia herb couple. J. Chromatogr. B. 2008; 863(2): 195-205.
18. Shailajan S, Menon S, Singh A, Mhatre M, Sayed N. A validated RP-HPLC method for quantitation of trigonelline from herbal formulations containing Trigonella foenum-graecum (L.) seeds. Pharm. Methods. 2011; 2(3): 157-160.
19. Sathe P, Dighe V, HPLC method development and validation for quantitation of Trigonelline from Mirabilis Jalapa Linn. leaves and enhancement in extraction yield from ultra fine powder. Int. J. Curr. Pharm. Res. 2017; 9(1): 0975-7066.
20. Kalia et al., High Performance Thin Layer Chromatography method for simultaneous estimation of vicine, trigonelline and withaferin-a in a polyherbal antidiabetic formulation. Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci. 2013; 5(2): 0975-1491.
21. Calixto JB. Efficacy, safety, quality control, marketing and regulatory guidelines for herbal medicines (phytotherapeutic agents). Braz J Med Biol Res. 2000; 32(2): 179-189.