Sriram B. S, Ravichandra.V, Rajendra Holla, Shailaja Moodithaya, Kishan Prasad
Sriram B. S1, Ravichandra.V2*, Rajendra Holla3, Shailaja Moodithaya4, Kishan Prasad5
1Research Scholar, Department of Pharmacology, K.S Hegde Medical Academy, Mangaluru -575008, Karnataka, India.
2Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, K.S Hegde Medical Academy, Mangaluru -575008, Karnataka India.
3Professor and HOD, Department of Pharmacology, K.S Hegde Medical Academy, Mangaluru -575008, Karnataka India.
4Additional Professor, Department of Physiology, K.S Hegde Medical Academy, Mangaluru -575008, Karnataka India.
5Professor, Department of Pathology, K.S Hegde Medical Academy, Mangaluru -575008, Karnataka India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2020
Objective: The present study aimed to evaluate dose required for oral D-galactose in aging induction on Wistar albino male rats, by evaluating Cognitive, Biochemical and Histological variables. Methods: Male Wistar albino rats were randomly separated into six groups (n=6). Group 1 (Control) received distilled water; Group 2 (Standard) received 120mg/kg subcutaneous (S.C) D -galactose; Group 3,4,5 and 6 received oral D-galactose in dose of 100, 120, 150 and 200mg/kg body weight respectively. Results: Group 2 (120mg/kg) S.C and Group 3 (100mg/kg) orally administered D-galactose, showed increase in plasma MDA (Malondialdehyde) levels, appearance of lipofuscin pigment deposition in hepatocytes as well as increase in duration to find food along with total errors in Cognitive tests respectively compared to control. There is also significant decrease in plasma Glutathione levels in Group 3 compared to standard. Conclusion: Oral D-galactose at dose of 100mg/kg can be employed as model for aging induction.
Cite this article:
Sriram B. S, Ravichandra.V, Rajendra Holla, Shailaja Moodithaya, Kishan Prasad. An Experimental Study Evaluating the dose of oral D-Galactose on aging Induction in wistar albino male Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(7): 3289-3292. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00583.1
Sriram B. S, Ravichandra.V, Rajendra Holla, Shailaja Moodithaya, Kishan Prasad. An Experimental Study Evaluating the dose of oral D-Galactose on aging Induction in wistar albino male Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(7): 3289-3292. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00583.1 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-7-43
1. N.A. Bishop, T. Lu, B.A. Yankner, Neural mechanisms of ageing and cognitive decline, Nature 464 (7288) (2010) 529-535
2. G. Munch, B. Westcott, T. Menini, A. Gugliucci, Advanced glycationend products and their pathogenic roles in neurological disorders, Amino Acids 42 (4) (2012) 1221–1236,
3. V. Srikanth, A. Maczurek, T. Phan, M. Steele, B. Westcott, D. Juskiw, G. Münch, Advanced glycation end products and their receptor RAGE in Alzheimer’s disease, Neurobiol. Aging 32 (5) (2011) 763––777
4. X. Cui, P. Zuo, Q. Zhang, X. Li, Y. Hu, J. Long, L. Packer, J. Liu, Chronic systemicd-galactose exposure induces memory loss, neurodegeneration, and oxidative damage in mice: protective effects of R-alpha-lipoic acid, J. Neuro sci. Res. 84(3) (2006) 647–654,
5. C. Prisila Dulcy, H.K. Singh, J. Preethi, K.E. Rajan, Standardized extract of Bacopa monniera (BESEB CDRI-08) attenuates contextual associative learning deficits in the aging rat’s brain induced by d-galactose
6. F. Ullah, T. Ali, N. Ullah, M.O. Kim, Caffeine prevents d-galactose-induced cognitive deficits, oxidative stress, neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration in the adult rat brain, Neurochem. Int. (2015)
7. Tenkanidiyoor YS, Vasudeva V, Rao S, et al. Haematopoietic, antioxidant and membrane stabilizing property of diallyl disulphide in irradiated mice. J Clin Diagn Res JCDR.2016;10(2)
8. Huang S Z, Luo, Y. J., Wang L, Kai V. (2011).Effect of ginkgo biloba extract on livers in aged rats. World J Gastroenterol 2005;11(1):132-135
9. P.M. Hermann, S.N. Watson, W.C. Wildering, Phospholipase A2-nexus of aging, oxidative stress, neuronal excitability, and functional decline of the aging nervous system? Insights from a snail model system of neuronal aging and age-associated memory impairment, Front. Genet. 5 (2014) 419,
10. L. Zeng, Y. Yang, Y. Hu, Y. Sun, Z. Du, Z. Xie, T. Zhou, W. Kong, Age-related decrease in the mitochondrial sirtuin deacetylase Sirt3 expression associated with ROS accumulation in the auditory cortex of the mimetic aging rat model, PLoS One 9 (2) (2014) e88019.
11. M. Lei, X. Hua, M. Xiao, J. Ding, Q. Han, G. Hu, Impairments of astrocytes are involved in the d-galactose-induced brain aging, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 369 (4) (2008) 1082–1087