Abundant chemical fertilizers and pesticides use in agriculture for the production of huge agricultural products, which cause adverse effect on environment and as well as on human beings. Animal dung and municipal solid waste (MSW) are a problem for society, so it need for it proper management. Vermicomposting serves as a best method for management of these wastes with the help of earthworm Eisenia fetida and its byproducts which were released are used in agriculture. In India Gram (Cicer arietinum) pulse is a major source of protein in human diet but its production rate was decreased day by day due to a various reasons. The Helicoverpa armigera (Hübner) is a pest to pulse crops, which damaged pods and ultimately decrease its productivity. The vermiwash and garlic based biopesticides used as an alternative of chemical fertilizers and pesticides. The aim of present study was to observe the gram seed germination, growth productivity, as well as infestation of H. armigera after foliar spray of liquid biofertilizer vermiwash of animal dung and MSW with combination of garlic leaf (GL) and bulb (GF) aqueous extract. The significant germination, growth and productivity (g/m2) was observed after the foliar spray of vermiwash with aqueous extract of garlic (Allium sativum L.) leaf (GL) with respect to control. The lowest pest infestation of gram (Cicer arietinum) was observed after 70, 85 and 100 days sowing and foliar spray to VW+GL, VW+GF respectively. Whereas, the use of vermiwash with biopesticides is an alternative of chemical fertilizers and synthetic pesticides because it is eco-friendly and boon for farmers.
Cite this article:
Keshav Singh, Deepak Kumar Bhartiya. Effect of liquid biofertilizer with Herbal Insecticide Garlic (Allium sativum L.) on productivity of Gram (Cicer arietinum) and Infestation of Helicoverpa armigera (Hübner). Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6):2567-2572. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00457.6
1. Gupta, P.K.,. Vermicomposting for sustainable agriculture. Bharat Printing Press., Jodhpur, India. 2005; 11-14.
2. Mahdi SS, Hassan GI, Samoon SA, Rather HA, Dar SA, Biofertilizers in organic agriculture, J. phytol. 2010; 2: 42-54.
3. Ravikumar SS, Kulkarni G. G, Basavanagoud K, Mallapur CP. Insecticidal property of some indigenous plant extracts against lepidopteron pests of safflower. Annals of Agro- Bioresearch. 1999; 4:49-52.
4. Rosaiah R. Evaluation of different botanicals against the pest complex in Okra. Pestology. 2001; 25(4):17-19.
5. Tian, C, X. Zhou, Q.Liu, J. Peng, W. Wang, Z Zhang,Y. Yang, H. Song, and Ch. Guan Effects of a controlled-release fertilizer on yield, nutrient uptake, and fertilizer usage efficiency in early ripening rapeseed (Brassica napus L.). J. Zhejiang Univ Sci. B. 2016; 17(10): 775–786.
6. Sucharita K. Reveiw on biopesticides: An environment friendly approach. National Seminar on Impact of Toxic Metals, Minerals and Solvents leading to Environmental Pollution 2014 Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 3: 141-142.
7. Kurian, J.C. Plant that Heal (1 Ed.). Orienta I Watchman Publishing House, Pune -India. 1995; 31.
8. Purseglove, J.W. Tropical Crops: Monocotyledons, ELBS Longman, London.1975; 52-56.
9. Bhatt, N. J. and Patel, R. K., Biology of chickpea pod borer, Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner), Indian Journal of Entomology. 2001; 63(3): 255-259
10. Wakil, W., m. Ashfaq and S.Ahmed.Trend in integrated pest management strategy for the control of Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner) caterpillar on chickpea (Cicer aritenium L.) Entomological Research , 2009; 1:84-88
11. Singh V, Pande PC, Jain DK. A Text Book of Botany Angeosperms. Rastogi Publication, Meerut, India. 2005; 33-34.
12. Fenemore P. G. and Thanee, N. Oviposition preference and larval food quality in Helicoverpa armigera Symp.Biol. Hung. 1990; 39: 461–462.
13. Subramanian, S. and Mohankumar, S., Genetic variability of the bollworm, Helicoverpa armigera, occurring on different host plants. Journal of Insect Science. 2006; 6: 26
14. Hossain, A., Haque, A., Ahmad, M., Prodhan, M. Z. H., Development of an integrated management approach for pod borer, Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner) on chickpea, Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research.2010; 35(2): 201-206
15. Sharma H.C. Cotton bollworm/legume pod borer, Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner) (Noctuidae: Lepidoptera): Biology and management. Crop Protect. Compend. CAB International, Wallingford. 2001; 70.
16. Garg p., Gupta, A and Satya, S. Vermicomposting of different types of wastes using Eisenia foetida: A comparative study .Biores. Technol. 2006; 97:391-395.
17. Bhartiya, D.K. and Singh, K., Heavy metals accumulation from municipal solid wastes with different animal dung through vermicomposting by earthworm Eisenia fetida. World ApplSci J. 2012; 17: 133-139
18. Chauhan, H.K. and Singh, K., Effect of binary combinations of buffalo, cow and goat dung with different agro wastes on reproduction and development of earthworm Eisenia foetida. World Journal of Zoology. 2012; 7(1): 23-29
19. Chauhan, H.K. and Singh, K., Effect of tertiary combinations of animal dung with agro wastes on the growth and development of earthworm Eisenia fetida during organic waste management. J Recy Orga Wast Agri., doi. 2013; 10.1186/2251-7715-2-11
20. Nath, G., Singh, K. and Singh, D.K.,Chemical analysis of Vermicomposts/ Vermiwash of different combinations of animal, agro and kitchen wastes. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Science. 2009 ; 3(4): 3672–3676
21. Singh, K. and Chauhan, H.K.,Potancy of Vermiwash with Neem plant parts on the Infestation of Earias vittella (Fabricius) and Productivity of Okra (Abelmoschuse sculentus) (L.) Moench . Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2015; 5(1): 36-40
22. Sundaravadivelan C, Isaiarasu L, Manimuthu M, Kumar P, Kuberan T and Anburaj J. Impact analysis and confirmative study of physico-chemical, nutriotonal and biochemical parametrs of vermiwash produced from different leaves litters by using two earthworms specis Journal of Agricultural Technology. 2011; 7: 144301457.
23. Sobha R, Ganesh P, Mohan M, Saleem SS, Vijay Laxmi GS. Effect of vermiwash on the growth of black gram (Vigna mungo). 2003; 30: 77-79.
24. WeerasingheKLK, Mohotti KM, Herath CN, Sanarajeewa A, Liyangunawardena V and Hitinayake HMGSB. Biological and chemical properties of “Vermiwash” A natural plant growth supplement for tea, coconut and horticulture crops, Sri Lanka: 12 September Forestry and Environment Symposium, University of Jayewardenepura. 2006
25. Nath S and Singh K, Analysis of different nutrients status of liquid biofertilizer of different combinations of buffalo dung with gram bran and water hyacinth through vermicomposting by Eisenia fetida. Environment, Development and Sustainability. 2016; 18:645-656.
26. Jayashree, M.P. Vermiwash-The wonder tonic in agricultural. Kisan World. 2006; 6: 44.
27. Dhamu, K.P. and K. Ramamoorthy. Staistical Methods. Agrobios, Jodhpur, India. 2008.
28. Nath, G. and Singh. K, Effect of vermiwash of different vermicompost on the kharif crops. Journal of Central European Agriculture. 2012; 13(2):379-402
29. Subasashri, M. Vermiwash collection and, its pesticidal properties.The Hindu. 2003; 17: 1-2.
30. Lokanadhan, S., Muthukrishnan, P. and Jeyaraman, S. Neem products and their agricultural applications. J. Biopesticides. 2012; 5: 72-76.
31. Tripathi, G. and Bharadwaj, P. Comparative studies on biomass production, life cycles and composting effiency of Eisenia foetida (Savigny) and Lampito mauritii (Kingberg. Biores. Technol. 2004; 92: 275-278.
32. Varghese SM, Prabha ML. Biochemical characterization of vermiwash and its effect on growth of Capsicum frutescens. Malaya Journal of Biosciences. 2014; 1(2):8691.
33. Edwards C.A.,. Dominiguez J and Arancon N.Q. The influence of vermicompost on plant growt hand pest ncidence. (In: Shakir SH and Mikhail WZA eds. Soil Zoology for Sustainable Development in the 21st century). Self Publisher, Cairo, Egypt. 2004; 397-420
34. Gomathy M., Thangaraju M., Gunasekaran S, Gopal N O, and Gopal H. Method and quantity of liquid formulation of phospho bacteria required for seed inoculation. Pak. J. Biol. Sci. 2008; 11(1):86-91.
35. Krishnamoorthy RV and Vajranbhiah, SN. Biological activity of earthworm casts: an assessment of plant growth promoter levels in casts. Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Science (Animal Science). 1986; 95:341-350.
36. Edwards C. A, and Burrows I. (The potential of earthworm composts as plant growth media. In: Edwards CA, E Neuhauser (Eds.) Earthworms in Waste and Environmental Management. SPB Academic Press. The Hague, the Netherlands. 1988; 21-32.
37. Lalitha R, Fathima K and Ismail SA. The impact of biopesticides and microbial fertilizers on productivity and growth of Abelmoschus esculentus. Vasundara the Earth. 2000; 1: 4-9.
38. Ansari AA. Effect of Vermicompost and Vermiwash on the productivity of spinach (Spinacia oleracea), Onion (Allium cepa) and Potato (Solanum tuberosum). World J. Agric. Sci. 2008; 4: 554-557.
39. Rajput AA, Sarwar M, Bux M and Tofique M. Evaluation of Synthetic and Some Plant Origin Insecticides against Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner) on Chickpea Pak. J. Biol. Sci. 2003; 6: 496- 499.
40. Nath G, Singh DK and Singh K. Productivity Enhancement and Nematode Management through Vermicompost and Biopesticides in Brinjal (Solanum melongena L.)World App. Sci. J. 2011; 12: 404- 412.
41. Nath G and Singh K. Role of Vermicompost as Biofertilizer for the productivity of Cauliflower (Brassica oleracea) and Biopesticides against Nematode (Meloidogyne incognita) World App. Sci. J. 2011; 12:1676-1684.
42. Arora R, Sharma HC, Dreissche EV and Sharma KK. Biological activity of lectins from grain legumes and garlic against the legume pod borer, Helicoverpa armigera. International Chickpea and Pigeon pea Newsletter. 2005; 12: 50-52.
43. Manyuchi MM, Phiri A, Muredzi P, Chitambwe T. Comparison of vermicompost and vermiwash biofertilizers from vermicomposting waste corn pulp. In Proceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, World Acad. Sci. Engi. Technol. (WASET). 2013; 78:346.
44. Yatheesh, K., Rawgol P.P., Sharma, M. V. and Kale, R.D., Efficacy of vermiwash-smeared mulberry leaves on cocoon characters of multi voltine hybrid mulberry silkworm Bombyx mori L, Kolar Gold (K.G) Race ,IJRST., 1(II): 2011.
45. Ansari, A.A. and K. Sukhraj. Effect of vermiwash and vermicompost on soil parameters and productivity of okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) in Guana. African J. Agri. Res. 2010; 5(14): 1794-1798.
46. Mishra K, Singh K and Tripathi CPM. Management of Pod Borer (Helicoverpa armigera) Infestation and Productivity Enhancement of Gram Crop (Cicer aritenium) Through Vermiwash with Biopesticides. World J. Agri. Sci. 2013; 9: 401-408.
47. Mishra K, Singh K, Tripathi CPM. Journal homepage: http://www. Journal. IJAR. com, Int. J Adv. Res. 2014; 2(1):780-789.