Shah V. V., Doijad R. C., Shah N. V.
Shah V. V.1*, Doijad R. C.2, Shah N. V.3
1Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Krishna Institute of Pharmacy, Karad.
2 Department of Pharmaceutics, Krishna Institute of Pharmacy, Karad.
3Krishna College of Pharmacy, Karad.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2020
Coumarins are naturally occurring oxygen containing compounds used as lead compounds for designing new potent analogs. They are having various medicinal properties. Present paper involves the synthesis of some novel coumarin analogs which are characterized and screened for their anti-inflammatory activity. All compounds were synthesized by conventional as well as microwave assisted synthesis. The newly synthesized compounds were characterized by IR, 1H NMR. Various coumarin derivatives are directly prepared by reaction of ortho amino phenol and beta keto ester by using titanium chloride dehydrates as catalyst. Later these are converted to Schiff’s bases. This method describes the direct introduction of amino group to the coumarin ring. Synthesized derivatives are screened for the anti-inflammatory activity at two different doses 10 mg/kg and 20 mg/kg. Diclofenac Sodium was utilized as standard.
Cite this article:
Shah V. V., Doijad R. C., Shah N. V. Microwave assisted synthesis of novel Coumarin derivatives for its Anti-Inflammatory applications. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2906-2911. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00518.1
Shah V. V., Doijad R. C., Shah N. V. Microwave assisted synthesis of novel Coumarin derivatives for its Anti-Inflammatory applications. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2906-2911. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00518.1 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-6-68
1. Raev, L.; E. Voinov; I. Ivanov, and D. Popov, Antitumor activity of some coumarin derivatives, Pharmazie, 45 :696.; Chem. Abstr., 1990,114, 74711 B.
2. Gummudavelly Sandeep, Y Sri Ranganath, S Bhasker, N Rajkumar. Synthesis and Biological Screening of Some Novel Coumarin Derivatives. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(1): Jan.-March,2009; 46-48.
3. Merlin NJ, Parthasarathy V, Manavalan R, Devi P, Meera R. Phyto-Physico chemical evaluation, Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-microbial activities of Aerial parts of Gmelina asiatica. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(1): Jan.-March, 2009; 76-82.
4. VA Navale, SS Mokle, Archana Y Vibhute, KG Karamunge, SV Khansole, SB Junne, YB Vibhute. Microwave-Assisted Synthesis and Antibacterial Activity of Some New Flavones and 1, 5-Benzothiazepines.Asian J. Research Chem. 2(4): Oct.-Dec. 2009 472-475.
5. Nofal, Z.M.; M. El-Zahar, and S. Abd El-Karim, Novel Coumarin derivatives with expected biological activity, Molecules, 2000, 5: 99-113.
6. El-Agrody, A.M., M.S. Abd El-Latif, N.A. El-Hady, A.H. Fakery, and A.H. Bedair, Heteroaromatisation with 4-hydroxycoumarin part 2, Molecules, 2001, 6, 519-527.
7. Pratibha, S. and P. Shreeya, Synthesis, Characterization and antimicrobial studies of some novel 3-arylazo-7-hydroxy-4-methyl-coumarin, Indian J. Chemistry, 1999, 38B, 1139-1142.
8. Patonay, T., G. Y. Litkei, R. Bognar, J. Erdei and C. Misztic, Synthesis, antibacterial and antifungal activity of 4- hydroxy-coumarin derivatives, Analogues of Novobiocin, Pharmazie, 1984, 39 :2, 86-91.
9. Shaker, R. M., Synthesis and reactions of some new 4H-pyrano[3,2-c] benzopyran-5-one derivatives and their potential biological activities, Pharmazie, 1996, 51,148.
10. Ram Kumar Sahu, Devendra Dewangan, Amit Roy, K. P. Namdev. Anti-inflammatory Action of Ougeinia oojeinensis (Roxb.) Hochr. Bark by HRBC Membrane Stabilization. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 1(1): Jan.-Mar. 2008; 57-58.
11. A Saravana Kumar, NM Ramaswamy. Anti-Inflammatory activity of Sesbania Grandiflora (Fabaceae). Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2(1): Jan.-Mar. 2009; 214-215.
12. El-Farargy, A.F. Synthesis and some reactions of 8-teri-butyl-6-hydroxy-4-methylcoumarin, Egypt J. Pharm. Sci, 1991 32, 625.
13. B. J. Donnelly, D. M. X. Donnelly, A. M. O’ Sullivan, Dalbergia Species—VI: The occurrence of melannein in the genus dalbergia,Tetrahedron, 1968, 24, 2617–2622.
14. S. M. Sethna, R. Phadke, Pechmann Condensation, Org. React., 19537, 1–58.
15. F. Bigi, L. Chesini, R. Maggi, G. Sartori, Montmorillonite KSF as an Inorganic, Water Stable, and Reusable Catalyst for the Knoevenagel Synthesis of Coumarin-3-carboxylic Acids, J. Org. Chem., 1999, 64, 1033–1035.
16. R. L. Shirner, Org. React., The Reformatsky Reaction,1942, 1, 1–37.
17. I. Yavari, R. Hekmat-Shoar, A. Zonuzi, A new and efficient route to 4-carboxymethylcoumarins mediated by vinyl triphenyl phosphonium salt, Tetrahedron Lett., 1998, 39,2391–2392.
18. D. Subhas Bose, A. P. Rudradas and Mereyala Hari Babu, The indium(III) chloride-catalyzed von Pechmann reaction: a simple and effective procedure for the synthesis of 4-substituted Coumarins Tetrahedron Letters, 43, 2002, 9195–9197.
19. Antigoni Kotali, Ioannis S. Lafazanis, Athanassios Papageorgiou, Synthesis, Characterization and Antileucemic Activity of 7-Hydroxy-8-acetylcoumarin Benzoylhydrazone, Molecules, 2008, M574.
20. Hai Jian YANG, Wen Hua SUN*, Zi Long LI, Zhi MA, The Rapid Synthesis of Schiff-Base without Solvent under Microwave Irradiation, Chinese Chemical Letters, 2002, 13, 1, 3 – 6.
21. Khan, M. S. Y.; Akhtar, M. Ind. J. Chem. 2003, 42B, 900.
22. Ramesh, R.; Sivagamasundari, M. Synth. React. Inorg. Met. Org. Chem. 2003, 33, 899.
23. Walsh, O. M.; Meegan, M. J.; Prendergast, R. M.; Nakib, T. A. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 1996, 31, 989.
24. Sridhar, S. K.; Saravan, M.; Ramesh, A. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2001, 36, 615.
25. RA Hajare, RM Gaurkhede, PP Chinchole, AV Chandewar, AS Wandhare, SS Karki. Synthesis, Structure and Spectral Charectarization of Friedal Craft N-Benzylation of Isatin and Their Novel Schiff’s Bases. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(3): July-Sept., 2009, 289-291.
26. Tripti Jain, V Jain, R Pandey, A Vyas, SS Shukla. Microwave assisted extraction for phytoconstituents – An overview. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(1): Jan.-March, 2009; 19-25.
27. M. Srinivas, Y. Rajendra Prasad, S. Chandrashekaran. Microwave Assisted Synthesis and Antibacterial Activity of Some Bicyclic Pyrrolidines. Asian J. Research Chem. 2(3): July-Sept., 2009, 357-359.
28. Velingkar VS, Dandekar VD. Microwave-Assisted Synthesis and Evaluation of Anticancer Activity of Substituted Acridone Analogues. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2 (2): April. -June.2009; 366-370.
29. Joshi Uttara, Mane Vijaya, Joshi SV. Comparative Study of Conventional and Microwave Assisted Extraction of Some Indigenous Drugs. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2(2): April. -June. 2009, 417-418.