Yuvarani. G, Chengi Kousalya, Kamatchi. K, Tharani. G, Vaishnavi. G
Yuvarani. G1*, Chengi Kousalya2, Kamatchi. K1, Tharani. G1, Vaishnavi. G1
1Assistant Professor, Faculty of Physiotherapy, Dr. MGR Educational and Research Institute University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
2Student, Faculty of Physiotherapy, Dr. MGR Educational and Research Institute University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2020
Aim :The aim of this study is to compare the effectiveness of Laser, Biofeedback and assisted Core Stability Exercise versus Laser, Core Stability Exercise alone on pain and disability in patients with Non-Specific Low Back Pain. BACKGROUND: Non-specific Low Back Pain is the most common type of Back pain. It affects nearly 80% of the population. This is the type of pain that most people will have at some point in their life. Non-Specific Low Back Pain is not due to any specific or underlying disease. Laser therapy is effective in relieving pain , both acute as well as chronic. It reduces swelling and enhances the healing process. It helps to relieve the pain. EMG Biofeedback must be relevant accurate and rapid to enhance motor learning. It provides a feedback by display of force produced by the contracting muscle thus helps to strengthen the muscle further. Core stability exercise improves the range of motion, increase in strength and endurance. Thus the purpose of the study is to find out the efficacy of LASER, EMG Biofeedback Assisted Core Stability Exercise versus Laser and Core Stability Exercise alone in patients suffering from Non-Specific Low Back Pain and Disability. METHODOLOGY: After obtaining the ethical clearance from the Institutional Review Board, this experimental study was conducted at Out patient Physiotherapy department, ACS medical college & Hospital. Subjects who fulfilled the inclusion and exclusion criteria were selected and divided into GroupA and GroupB. 40 to 50 years of age and study sampling methods convenient sampling, duration of study 6 session/ 3 weeks, material used Laser, EMG Biofeedback, Couch, Pen, Assessment sheet. Outcome measures Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) and Oswestry Disability Index (ODQ). . RESULT: A Total number of n=30 patients with non-specific low back pain were taken with an age of 40- 50 years both males and females were taken with non-specific low back pain. Group A -was given LASER and Core Stability Exercise. Group B – was given LASER, EMG Biofeedback, Assisted Core Stability Exercise for 4 weeks. Pre and posttest were taken and compared from VAS and ODQ and after 4 weeks of treatment Group -B proved better improvement than GROUP A.
Cite this article:
Yuvarani. G, Chengi Kousalya, Kamatchi. K, Tharani. G, Vaishnavi. G. To compare the effectiveness of Laser, EMG biofeedback assisted core stability exercise versus Laser and Core stability exercise alone on pain and disability in patients with non-specific low back pain. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6):2563-2566. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00456.4
1. Manchikanti L. Epidemiology of low back pain. PainPhysician. 2000:3(2):167-92.
2. Richardson CA, Jull GA, Hodges P Hides. Therapeutic sciences for spinal segmental stabilization in low back pain scientific basis and clinical approach. Edinburg, Churchill Livingstone.1999; 61-76.
3. Akuthota V, Ferreiro A, Moore T. Core stability exercise principles. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008 Feb;7(1):39-44.
4. Ahmed H, Iqbal A, shaphe MA. Efficacy of EMG biofeedback training on trunk stability in chronic low back pain. India Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy. 7(3):81-8.
5. Rabebold A, Cholwicki J, Panjabi MM ,2000, ‘Muscle response pattern to sudden trunk loading in healthy individuals and in patients with chronic low back pain.’ Spine, vol.25, pp.947-54.
6. Ozdermir F, Birtane M, Kokino S (2001), The clinical efficacy of low power laser therapy on pain and function in cervical osteioarthritis. Clin Rheumatol 20:181-184.
7. S.Veena Krithika et al, Effect of combining slump stretching with conventional physiotherapy in treatment of sub-acute non radicular low back pain. TJPRC; IJPOT Dec 2016.
8. Waldhelm A. Assessment of core stability: developing practical models. A dissertation submitted to graduate faculty of the Louisiana state. 2011; etd.lsu.edu/docs/ available/etd-04262011-110012/unrestricted/WaldhelmDiss. pdf
9. Hamblin M, Huang YY, eds. Handbook of photomedicine. Talor and Francis, 2013. Chapter 51, Low-Level Laser therapy in treatment of pain, 591-601.
10. 10.Basford JR. Low intensity laser therapy: still not an established clinical tool. Laser surg Med 1995; 16:331-42.
11. Khan S, Shamis S, Abdelkader S. Comparative study of shortwave diatheramy and exercise together and exercise along in the management of chronic back pain.
12. Geisser, M. E., Ranavaya, M., Haig, A. j., Roth, R. S., Zucker, R., Ambroz, C., et al. (2005). A meta-analytic review of surface of surface electromyography among persons with low back pain and normal, healthy control journal of pain, 6, 711-726.s