New, simple, selective and cost-effective method has been developed for the determination of Vildagliptin in bulk and in pharmaceutical dosage forms. The method is based on the formation of a Schiff base with p-dimethylaminobenzaldehyde (PDAB) in acidic ethanol; the reaction of drug with reagent gives a bright yellow colour. The formed coloured species absorbance was measured at its absorption maximum ?max 446 nm. All the variables were studied to optimize the reaction conditions. The Beer’s law has been obeyed in the concentration range 75-175 µg/ml with correlation coefficient (R2= 0.9977). The LOD and LOQ of the proposed method were calculated 10.633 (µg/ml), 32.223 (µg/ml) respectively. No interference was observed in the presence of common pharmaceutical excipients.
Cite this article:
Loujain Anis Dayoub, Fida Amali. Development of a new visible Spectrophotometric analytical method for determination of Vildagliptin in bulk and Pharmaceutical dosage forms. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2807-2810. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00499.0
Loujain Anis Dayoub, Fida Amali. Development of a new visible Spectrophotometric analytical method for determination of Vildagliptin in bulk and Pharmaceutical dosage forms. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2807-2810. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00499.0 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-6-49
1. Biag FA, Khan S, Naeem MA, khan GJ, Ansari M.T, Vildagliptin Loaded Triangular DNA Nanospheres Coated With Eudragit for Oral Delivery And Better Glycemic Control In Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Biomedicine &. Pharmacotherapy, 2018, 24:1250-1258.
2. Kleppinger EL, Helms K. The role of vildagliptin in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Annals Pharmacotherapy. 2007; 41(5): 824–832.
3. Baggio LL, Drucker DJ. Biology of incretins: GLP-1 and GIP. Gastroenterology. 2007; 132(6): 2131–2157.
4. Idris I, Donnelly R. Dipeptidyl peptidase-IV inhibitors: a major new class of oral antidiabetic drug. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. 2007; 9(2) :153–165.
5. Younes OM, Al-Zehouri J, Abboud H. Spectrophotometric Method for the Determination of Vildagliptin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2015; 29(1): 33-36.
6. El-BagaryRI, Elkady EF, Ayoub BM. Spectrophotometric methods for the determination of Sitagliptin and Vildagliptin in bulk and dosage forms. International Journal of Biomedical Science. 2011; 7(1): 55–61.
7. Moneeb MS. Spectrophotometric and spectrofluorimetric methods for the determination of saxagliptin and vildagliptin in bulk and pharmaceutical preparations. Bulletin of faculty of pharmacy, Cairo University. 2013; 51(2): 139-150.
8. Patwari A, Suhagia B, Solanki R. Extractive Spectrophotometric Method For Determination Of dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 Inhibitors In bulk And Their Pharmaceutical dosage Forms. Indo American Journal Of Pharmaceutical Research. 2013; 3(11): 9059-9066.
9. Sultana R, Bachar SC, Rahman F. Development and validation of stability indicating assay method of Vildagliptin in bulk and tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC. International journal of pharmacy and life sciences. 2013; 4(4): 2530-2534.
10. Pharne AB, Santhakumari B, Ghemud AS, Jain HK, Kulkarni MJ. A novel bioanalytical method development and validation of Vildagliptin dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor by RP-HPLC method. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2012; 3(4): 119-123.
11. Gundala U, Bhuvanagiri CS, Nayakanti D. Simultaneous Estimation of Vildagliptin and Metformin in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations by UV Spectrophotometry. American Journal of PharmTech Research. 2013; 3(1): 338-345.
12. Moneeb MS. LC-UV determination of Vildagliptin either alone or simultaneously with metformin in pharmaceutical preparations. AZ Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011; 44: 90–99.
13. Siddappa K and Hanamshetty PC. Spectrophotometric quantitative determination of Ambroxol hydrochloride in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms using PDAB reagent. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research. 2014; 5(10): 4188-4194.
14. K. Siddappa, M. Mallikarjun, P. T. Reddy and M. Tambe. Spectrophotometric determination of metronidazole through Schiff’s base system using vanillin and PDAB reagents in pharmaceutical preparations. Ecletica Química, São Paulo. 2008; 33(4): 41-46.
15. Gurupadayya B.M., Vishwajith V and Srujana N. Spectrophotometric Methods for the Estimation of Pramipexole Dihydrochloride in Pharmaceutical Formulations. World Journal of Chemistry. 2009; 4(2): 157-160.
16. Prakash S. Sarsambi, G.K. Kapse and S. Appala Raju. Visible Spectrophotometric Determination of Terazosin Hydrochloride from Bulk Drug and Formultion. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 2002; 14(1): 545-547.