The purpose of the study is to evaluate the effect of Levetiracetam and Clobazam combination on seizure parameters and to detect additive effect of the combination in MES model of epilepsy in rats. Activity in MES model represents action on spread of seizure discharge. Levetiracetam, Clobazam as well as their combination were administered to three groups of animals for 15 days with intermittent administration of electroshock once in every 5 days (150mA, 0.1secs). Parameters like seizure type, phases of seizure, phases of seizure, duration and recovery were noted. The significance of effect was compared using one-way annova. The recovery time data of Clobazam and the combination was found to be significant. Combination of Levetiracetam and the Clobazam lowers seizure recovery time and has additive effect in MES model of epilepsy.
Cite this article:
Ratna. B, Krishna. B, K. Bhavani. Investigation on the effect of the Drug Levetiracetam combined with Clobazam on MES Model of Epilepsy. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2792-2796. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00496.5
Ratna. B, Krishna. B, K. Bhavani. Investigation on the effect of the Drug Levetiracetam combined with Clobazam on MES Model of Epilepsy. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2792-2796. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00496.5 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-6-46
1. Harlon E. Shannon, Elizabeth Lutz Eberie, Steven C Peters, Comparison of the effects of anticonvulsant drugs with diverse mechanisms of action in the formalin test in rats. Journal of Neuropharmacology, June 2005; 48(7):1012-1020
2. Wolfgang Loscher, Chris Rundfeldt, Development of tolerance to clobazam in fully kindled rats: Effects of intermittent flumazenil administration, European Journal of Pharmacology, 16 May, 255- 271.
3. J-M Rigo, G Hans, L Nguyen, V Rocher, S Belachew, B Malgrange, P Leprince, G Moonen, I Selak, A Matagne and H Klitgaard The anti-epileptic drug levetiracetam reverses the Inhibition by negative allosteric modulators of neuronal GABA- and glycine-gated currents, British Journal of Pharmacology, July 2002; 136(5): 659–672.
4. Monika Dudra-zastrzebska Marta M.Andres –Mach, Marcin Sielski, Neville ratnaraj Philip N Patsalos, Stanislaw J Czuczwar, Jarogniew J Luszczki Pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic interaction profiles of levetiracetam in combination with gabapentin, tiagabine and vigabatrin in the mouse pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure model: An isobolographic analysis, European Journal of Pharmacology, march 2009; 605:87-94
5. Savithasri V Eranti, Declan M Mc Loughlin, Electroconvulsive therapy – state of the art, British Journal of Psychiatry, 2003; 182:8-9.
6. C. Anthony Altar, pascal Laeng, Linda W etal. Electroconvulsive seizures Regulate Gene Expression of Distinct Neurotrophic signaling pathways. J Neurosci. 2004 24(11):2667-2677.
7. Anst J, Angst K, Baruffol I, Meinherz –Surbeck R-ECT-induced and drug-induced hypomania. Convuls Ther. 1992; 8:179-85.
8. Grogan R, Wagner DR, Sullivan T, Labar D. Generalized nonconvulsive status epilepticus after electroconvulsive therapy. Convuls Ther. 1993; 9:128-129.
9. Hill GE, Wong KC, Hodges MR, Lithium carbonate and neuromuscular blocking agents. Anesthesiology. 1977; 46:122-126.
10. ECT review group.Efficacy and safety of electroconvulsive therapy in depressive disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2003; 361: 799-808.
11. Mohd Moshahid Khan, Ajmal Ahmad, Tauheed Ishrat, Gulrana Khuwaja, Pallavi Srivastawa, M. Badruzzamn Khan etal, Rutin protects the neural damage induced by transient focal ischemia in rats. Brain Research 2009; 1292 : 123-135.
12. Graeme J. Sills, Elaine Butler, George G. Thompson, Martin J.Brodie, Pharmacodynamic interaction studies with topiramate in the pentylenetetrazol and maximal Electroshock seizure models, Seizure 2004; 13:287-295. Beppe Micallef-Trigona and Joseph Spiteri, maintenance electroconvulsive Therapy in a patient with treatment resistant paranoid Schizophrenia and comorbid epilepsy. Case Reports in Psychiatry, 2012; 1-3.
13. A.J.R. Finlayson, W.V.R.Vieweg, W.D.Wilkey, A.J.Cooper, Hyponatraemic seizure following ECT, Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 463-464.
14. Cody mayo, Alan D.Kaye, Erich Conrad, Amir Baluch, Elizabeth Frost, Update on anaesthesia considerations for Electroconvulsive therapy, MEJ Anaesth. 2010; 20(4):493-498.
15. Allan I.F. Scott, Mode of action of electroconvulsive therapy: an update, Advances in psychiatric treatment, 2011; 17:15-22.
16. Guidance on the use of electroconvulsive therapy, National Institute of Clinical Excellence. Technology Appraisal Guidance 59, April 2003.
17. Lorena Rami, Miquel Bernardo, Teresa Boget, Jose Ferrer, Maria J. Portella, Jose A. Gil-Verona, Manel Salamero, Cognitive Status of Psychiatric Patients Under Maintenance Electroconvulsive Therapy: A One-Year Longitudinal Study. J of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosci, Fall 2004; 16(4):465-71.
18. Sudheerkumar Yanpallewar, Colleen A Barrick, Mary LN Palko, Gianluca fulgenzi, Lino Tessarollo, Tamalin is a Critical Mediator of Electroconvulsive shock induced Adult Neuroplasticity, Journal of Neuroscience February 15, 2012; 32(7):2252-2262.
19. Lakshmi N Yatham, Peter F.Riddle, Raymond W Lam, Athanasios P.Zis, Jon Stoessi, vesna Sossi etal, Electroconvulsive therapy on brain 5-HT2 receptors in Major depression, British Journal of Psychiatry 2010; 196:474-479
20. Linda Jansson, Studies on cellular changes and amnesia in a rat model of electroconvulsive therapy, Molecular Psychiatry Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, 2011; 1-54.
21. Disorders: An historical overview and future directions. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences 2010; 64: 341–357 Lee E Watchtel, DirkM.Dhossche, Max Fink, Richard Jaffe, Charles H Kellner, Howard Weeks, Edward Shorter, ECT for Developmental Disability and Severe Mental Illness, American Journal of Psychiatry 2013; 170:1498-1499. doi:10.1176/appi.ajp.2013.13070983c
22. Electroconvulsive Therapy, the Patient Education Institute, 1995-2012
23. Jarogniew J. Luszczki1, Ewa Marzeda1, Dominika Podgorska, Dariusz Durmowicz et al, Isobolographic characterization of interaction of Levetiracetam with Clobazam in the mouse 6 Hz psychomotor seizure model. J Pre-Clinical and Clinical Research, 2012; (6) 1:25-30
24. Charles H. Kellner, Robert M. Greenberg, James W. Murrough, Ethan, O. Bryson, Mimi C. Briggs, Rosa M. Pasculli, ECT in Treatment-Resistant Depression, Am J Psychiatry 2012; 169:1238–1244.