Sidra Choudhary, Sanket Dharashivkar, Chetan Mahajan, Madhuri Gaikwad
Sidra Choudhary1, Sanket Dharashivkar1, Chetan Mahajan2, Madhuri Gaikwad3
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Dr. L. H Hiranandani College of Pharmacy, Ulhasnagar.
2Scientist-B, Wool Research Association, Thane.
3Department of Pharmaceutics, AIKTC School of Pharmacy, Panvel.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2020
In the present work polymeric nano-fiber patches were developed for the effective treatment of skin infection using cephalexin as model drugs. The nano-fibers were prepared by electro spinning technique by using polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) as a polymer and fibers were characterized on the basis of entrapment efficiency, fiber diameter, morphology, x-ray diffraction analysis, drug release behavior and in vitro antimicrobial test. The entrapment efficiency of the optimized formulation was 95%. The % cumulative release of drug from nano-fiber patch across the dialysis membrane was 96% at the end of 24h. The ex-vivo release of drug through nano-fiber patch across the goat skin was 81% at the end of 24 h.
Cite this article:
Sidra Choudhary, Sanket Dharashivkar, Chetan Mahajan, Madhuri Gaikwad. Formulation and Evaluation of Nano-fiber-based Transdermal patch of Cephalexin. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2787-2791. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00495.3
1. Shin S.H, Purevdorj, O Castano, O Planell, J.A. and Kim H.W; A short review.Recent advances in electrospinning for bone tissue regeneration. J of Tissue Eng; 3(1) 2012; 1-11.
2. Koombhongse S, Liu WX, Reneker DH. Flat polymer ribbons and other shapes by electrospinning. J of Polymer Sci: Part B: Polymer Physics, 39; 2001; 2598–606.
3. Hersh, A.L, Chambers, H.F, Maselli, J.H. and Gonzales, R.National trends in ambulatory visits and antibiotic prescribing for skin and soft-tissue infections. Archives of Internal Medicine, 168(14), 2008;1585-1591.
4. Zhao, J, Si, N, Xu, L. Experimental and theoretical study on the electrospinning nanoporous fibers. Chem. Phys. 2016; 294–302.
5. Zidan, A.S, Rahman, Z and Khan, M.A; Product and process understanding of a novel pediatric anti-HIV tenofovir niosomes with a high-pressure homogenizer. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 44(1-2), 2011; 93-102.
6. Sharma, R, Garg, T, Goyal, A.K and Rath, G. Development, optimization and evaluation of polymeric electrospun nanofiber. A tool for local delivery of fluconazole for management of vaginal candidiasis. Artificial Cells, Nanomedicine, and Biotechnology, 44(2), 2016; 524-531.
7. P.M. Louis. Cephalexin Analytical Profiles of Drug Substances. vol. 4, Florey, Academic Press, An imprint of Elsevier, 1975; 21-46.
8. Sun, Z.; Fan, C.; Tang, X.; Zhao, J.; Song, Y.; Shao, Z.; Xu, L. Characterization and antibacterial properties of porous fibers containing silver ions. Appl. Surf. Sci. 2016, 828–838.
9. Pharmacopoeia, I; The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission. Central Indian Pharmacopoeia Laboratory, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt of India, Sector, 23. 2007,93-106.
10. Felmingham D; Robbins M. J., Sangharajkam., Leakey A. and Ridgway G. L;Invitro activity of some 14, 15-, and 16- membered macrolides against Staphylococcus spp., Legionella spp., Mycoplasma spp. and Ureaplasma urealyticum. Drugs under Experimental and Clinical Research 17, 1991, 9-91.