Shaikh Siraj N, Irshad Ahmad Mohd. Salim, G. J. Khan, Shahid Raza Mohd Aslam Ansari
Dr. Shaikh Siraj N1*, Irshad Ahmad Mohd. Salim2, Dr. G. J. Khan2, Shahid Raza Mohd Aslam Ansari2
1Associate Professor and Head Department of Pharmaceutics, Ali-Allana College of Pharmacy, Akkalkuwa, Nandurbar, Maharashtra, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutics, Ali-Allana College of Pharmacy, Akkalkuwa, Nandurbar, Maharashtra, India-425415.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2020
The present study involves fabrication chararacterization of mucoadhesive microspheres with piroxicam as model drug for prolongation of gastric residence time of Piroxicam. The Microspheres were prepared by solvent evaporation method using polymers HPMC K4M and Ethyl cellulose. The formulated Mucoadhesive Microspheres were characterized for shape and surface morphology of scanning electron microscopy, flow property, DEE, DLE, Particale size in vitro drug release, mucoadhesion test and stability studies. FTIR, DSC study indicates no drug-excipients interaction in the prepared Microspheres. SEM study shows fabricated Microspheres are sphericale in shape and have sufficient DEE, DLE. Optimized formulation B4 has shown 96.43 % drug release at the end of 12 h study. Stability study indicate that there are no significant changes found in all parameters so Mucoadhesive Microspheres were stable. Finally we concluded that fabricated Microsphere of Piroxicam will be very effective for management of Arthritis.
Cite this article:
Shaikh Siraj N, Irshad Ahmad Mohd. Salim, G. J. Khan, Shahid Raza Mohd Aslam Ansari. Fabrication and Characterization of Mucoadhesive Microspheres of Piroxicam for Management of Arthritis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2690-2694. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00478.3
1. V Sirisha, M Chinna Eswariah and A Sambasiva Rao. A novel approach of locust bean gum microspheres for colonic delivery of Mesalamine: International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2018; (10): 86-93.
2. Shaikh S, Khan G J, Shaikh S, Fakir H, Shaikh S and Shaikh M F. Microspheres as a multiparticulate drug delivery system. World Journal Of Pharmacy And Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; (5): 274-292.
3. Gada S, Kumar AY.Formulation and Evaluation of Glipizide Mucoadhesive Microspheres, International Journal of Pharma Research and Health Sciences2016; 4 (6):1483-1488.
4. Tahsin Akhtarali Shaikh, Dattatraya Monohar Shinkar and Ravindra Bhanudas Saudagar. Polymers used in the mucoadhesive drug delivery system. May 2016; (5): 45-53.
5. Zein EE, Gizawy SE and SaniaEk.Preparation, Characterization And In-Vitro Evaluation Of Piroxicam Microspheres, European Journal Of Pharmaceutical And Medical Research, 2016, 3(3), 99-105.
6. Sandeep Kumar and Arun Nanda. Formulation optimization and in vitro evaluation of gastroretentive mucoadhesive microspheres of Furosemide. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; (8): 392-398.
7. Ramalingam Nethaji, Anjali Narayanan, Manikandan Palanivelu, N Subramaniam Surendiran and Babu Ganesan. Formulation and evaluation of Metformin hydrochloride loaded mucoadhesive microspheres. 2016; (6): 124132.