Osamah Tahir Muslim, Abbas Sabbar Dakhil, Mohammed Abdlmohsin Abdlmajed
Osamah Tahir Muslim1, Abbas Sabbar Dakhil2*, Mohammed Abdlmohsin Abdlmajed3
1,3Gasteroenterolgy Center, AL-Diwaniyah Teaching Hospital, Al-Qadisiyah, Iraq.
2Faculty of Medicine, University of Al-Qadisiyah, Iraq, 58001.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2020
Background: Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is a diagnostic and therapeutic procedure that use both of endoscopy and fluoroscopy for of the biliary or pancreatic ductal systems. Objective: To describe the indications and results of ERCP in Al-Diwaniyah Gastroenterology Center at Al-Diwaniyah Province, Iraq and compare it with international results. Patients and Method: A Retrospective observational study was conducted on 545 patients (274 and 180 males) underwent ERCP in the Gastroenterology and Hepatology Center in Al-Diwaniyah (Central Iraq) in 3 years (2016-2018) included in the Study; the indications, procedure details and the results were studied. Results: The main indications for referral to ERCP were: Common Bile Duct Stones (68.94%) followed by biliary complications of Liver Hydatid Cyst (7.26%) and Pancreatic Carcinoma (5.50%). The Success Rate of Deep Biliary Cannulation in the First Session was (80.17%) without Needlknife Fistulotomy and raised to ((90.08%) with Needlknife Fistulotomy. The Success of Complete Extraction of CBD Stone in the First session was (77.31%) and the Overall Extraction Success in more than one Session (80.06%). Conclusions: CBD Stones and Biliary Complications of Hydatid Cysts were the two most common indications of referral to ERCP; The Success rates in Biliary Cannulation and Stone Extraction was Comparable to the International Figures.
Cite this article:
Osamah Tahir Muslim, Abbas Sabbar Dakhil, Mohammed Abdlmohsin Abdlmajed. Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography in Central Iraq: A Retrospective Single- Center Study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2681-2684. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00476.X
Osamah Tahir Muslim, Abbas Sabbar Dakhil, Mohammed Abdlmohsin Abdlmajed. Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography in Central Iraq: A Retrospective Single- Center Study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(6): 2681-2684. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00476.X Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-6-26
1. Freeman ML, Nelson DB, Sherman S, et al. Complications of endoscopic biliary sphincterotomy. N Engl J Med. 1996; 335(13): 909–918
2. Wang P, Li ZS, Liu F, et al. Risk factors for ERCP-related complications: a prospective multicenter study. Am J Gastroenterol. 2009;104(1):31–40.
3. Williams EJ, Taylor S, Fairclough P, et al. Risk factors for complication following ERCP; results of a large-scale, prospective multicenter study. Endoscopy. 2007;39(9):793–801.
4. Andriulli A, Loperfido S, Napolitano G, et al. Incidence rates of post-ERCP complications: a systematic survey of prospective studies. Am J Gastroenterol. 2007;102(8):178I–1788.
5. Elmunzer BJ, Scheiman JM, Lehman GA, et al. A randomized trial of rectal indomethacin to prevent post-ERCP pancreatitis. N Engl J Med. 2012;366(15):1414–1422.
6. Pahk A, Rigaux J, Poreddy V, et al. Prophylactic pancreatic stents: does size matter? A comparison of 4-Fr and 5-Fr stents in reference to post-ERCP pancreatitis and migration rate. Dig Dis Sci. 2011;56(10):3058–3064.
7. Cheng CL, Sherman S, Watkins JL, et al. Risk factors for post-ERCP pancreatitis: a prospective multicenter study. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101(1):139–147.
8. Amol Sonyabapu Dahale, Amarender Singh Puri, Sanjeev Sachdeva, Siddharth Srivastava and Ajay Kumar. Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreaticography in Children: A Single-center Experience From Northern India.Indian Pediatrics volume 56, pages196–198(2019)
9. Gregory A. Coté, Sanjeev Singh, Lois G.Bucksot, Laura Lazzell–Pannell .Association Between Volume of Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography at an Academic Medical Center and Use of Pancreatobiliary Therapy. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology Volume 10, Issue 8, August 2012, Pages 920-924
10. R J Farrell 1, N Mahmud, N Noonan, D Kelleher, P W Keeling.Diagnostic and Therapeutic ERCP: A Large Single Centre's Experience Ir J Med Sci. Jul-Sep 2001;170(3):176-80.
11. Rahman MM , Sharif MSB , Rahman A , Khan MR , Mandal MA. Success and Limitations of ERCP in the Management of Obstructive Jaundice KYAMC Journal Vol. 8, No.-1, July 2017 5.
12. Johannes Eckert 1, Peter Deplazes. Biological, Epidemiological, and Clinical Aspects of Echinococcosis, a Zoonosis of Increasing Concern. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2004 Jan;17(1):107-35.
13. Mohamed Borahma, Rajaa Afifi, Imane Benelbarhdadi, Fatima Zahra Ajana, Wafaa Essamri, Abdellah Essaid. Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography in Ruptured Liver Hydatid Cyst Indian J Gastroenterol. 2015 Jul;34(4):330-4.
14. Sanjay Kumar Somani and Amit Prakash Srivastava. Case Report Resolution of Hepatic Hydatid Cyst with Biliary Communication with ERCP Journal of Gastrointestinal and Digestive System 2012.2:4 DIO:10.4172/2161-069X.1000114.
15. Sheppard DP, Craddock SJ, Warner BD, Wilkinson ML. ERCP Cannulation Success Benchmarking: Implications for Certification and Validation Frontline Gastroenterol 2015 Apr;6(2):141-146. doi: 10.1136/flgastro-2014-100473. Epub 2014 Sep 12.
16. V Cennamo, L Fuccio, RM Zagari, LH Eusebi, L Ceroni, L Laterza, C Fabbri, and F Bazzoli. Can early precut implementation reduce endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography-related complication risk? Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Endoscopy 42(05),381-388, 2010.
17. García-Cano Lizcano J, González Martín JA, Pérez Sola A, Morillas Ariño MJ Success Rate of Complete Extraction of Common Bile Duct Stones at First Endoscopy Attempt. Rev Esp Enferm Dig 2002 Jun;94(6):340-50.
18. Abdul Samad,Syed Zea ul Islam Farrukh,Syed Afzal Haqqi,Arif Rasheed Siddiqui,Saad Khalid Niaz,Muhammad Zahid Qadri. Success Rate of Common Bile Duct Stones Extraction on First ERCP Attempt Journal of the doe University of Health Sciences- Karachi 2018, Vol.12(3):81-85.