Suma M S, Jamuna K S, Ramesh C. K, Riaz Mahmood
Suma M S1, Jamuna K S1, Ramesh C. K1, Riaz Mahmood2
1Molecular Biomedicine Laboratory, PG Dept. of Studies and Research in Biotechnology, Sahyadri Science College, Kuvempu University, Shivamogga - 577203, Karnataka, India.
2Department of Postgraduate Studies and Research in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, Jnana Sahyadri, Kuvempu University, Shivamogga 577451, Karnataka, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2020
Development of ex vivo cell culture models that adequately recreate in vivo conditions is useful in improved drug screening. Acetaminophen (APAP), well-known as paracetamol. Overdoses of APAP can induce hepa-totoxicity which in turn results severe liver injury. There is a constant demand for in vitro high-throughput hepatic experimental platforms for measuring the hepatotoxicity. The purpose of this work is to provide a simple, easy-to-fabricate 3D hexagonal, hexa-channel micromachined scaffolds for studying liver cell line (Huh-7) and to provide a 3D scaffold culture system as an in vitro model for APAP induced hepato-toxicity studies on Huh-7cell line. A silicon mould based template was used to cast out polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) hexagonal scaffolds. Cells are cultured in the scaffolds which are placed inside a well plate. RNA isolated on day 3 and day 7 of culture, gene expression on these two different time points were analyzed by qPCR. Cytoskeletal assessment is done by rhodamine-phalloidin staining and cytotoxicity was performed by MTT assay. The difference in the mRNA levels of cytochrome P450 2E1 (CYP2E1) expressions was demonstrated through qRT-PCR technique. This work shows the effects of using Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) hexagonal scaffolds of 50um height as a three-dimensional model to study Huh-7.
Cite this article:
Suma M S, Jamuna K S, Ramesh C. K, Riaz Mahmood. Expression of Drug-metabolizing genes and Acetaminophen drug toxicity studies on 3D scaffold culture of Huh-7 cell line. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(5):2399-2406. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00431.X
Suma M S, Jamuna K S, Ramesh C. K, Riaz Mahmood. Expression of Drug-metabolizing genes and Acetaminophen drug toxicity studies on 3D scaffold culture of Huh-7 cell line. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(5):2399-2406. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00431.X Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-5-61
1. Potter SM, DeMarse TB. A new approach to neural cell culture for long-term studies. Journal of neuroscience methods. 2001;110(1-2):17-24.
2. Hausen P, Riebesell M. A simple flow-through micro-chamber for handling fragile, small tissue explants and single non-adherent cells. Methods in cell science. 2002; 24(4):165-8.
3. Tan GD, Toh GW, Birgersson E, Robens J, van Noort D, Leo HL. A thin‐walled polydimethylsiloxane bioreactor for high‐density hepatocyte sandwich culture. Biotechnology and bioengineering. 2013; 110(6):1663-73.
4. Saumya S, Anbuselvan A, Poorva S, Priya G. A review on 3D printing techniques and scaffolds for auricular cartilage reconstruction. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(9):4179-86.
5. Aswin KS, Jothishwar S, Nayagam VC, Priya G. Scaffolds for biomolecule delivery and controlled release - A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(10):4719-30.
6. Young RJ. Dextropropoxyphene overdosage. Drugs. 1983; 26(1):70-9.
7. Ennis ZN, Dideriksen D, Vaegter HB, Handberg G, Pottegård A. Acetaminophen for chronic pain: a systematic review on efficacy. Basic & clinical pharmacology & toxicology. 2016;118(3):184-9.
8. Zainuddin HZ, Zainuddin LR. Paracetamol induced liver morphological changes after acute dosing. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2015; 8(4):382.
9. Manov I, Hirsh M, Iancu TC. Acetaminophen hepatotoxicity and mechanisms of its protection by N-acetylcysteine: a study of Hep3B cells. Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology. 2002; 53(6):489-500.
10. Manov I, Hirsh M, Iancu TC. N‐acetylcysteine does not protect HepG2 cells against acetaminophen‐induced apoptosis. Basic & clinical pharmacology & toxicology. 2004; 94(5):213-25.
11. Latchoumycandane C, Goh CW, Ong MM, Boelsterli UA. Mitochondrial protection by the JNK inhibitor leflunomide rescues mice from acetaminophen‐induced liver injury. Hepatology. 2007; 45(2):412-21.
12. Manokaran S, Jaswanth A, Sengottuvelu S, Nandhakumar J, Duraisamy R, Karthikeyan D, Mallegaswari R. Hepatoprotective activity of Aerva lanata Linn. against paracetamol induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Research journal of pharmacy and technology. 2008; 1(4):398-400.
13. Conover CA, Lee PD. Insulin regulation of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein production in cultured HepG2 cells. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 1990; 70(4):1062-7.
14. Sassa S, Sugita O, Galbraith RA, Kappas A. Drug metabolism by the human hepatoma cell, Hep G2. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 1987; 143(1):52-7.
15. Nakamura K, Mizutani R, Sanbe A, Enosawa S, Kasahara M, Nakagawa A, Ejiri Y, Murayama N, Miyamoto Y, Torii T, Kusakawa S. Evaluation of drug toxicity with hepatocytes cultured in a micro-space cell culture system. Journal of bioscience and bioengineering. 2011; 111(1):78-84.
16. Nakamura K, Kato N, Aizawa K, Mizutani R, Yamauchi J, Tanoue A. Expression of albumin and cytochrome P450 enzymes in HepG2 cells cultured with a nanotechnology-based culture plate with microfabricated scaffold. The Journal of toxicological sciences. 2011; 36(5):625-33.
17. Aritomi K, Ishitsuka Y, Tomishima Y, Shimizu D, Abe N, Shuto T, Irikura M, Kai H, Irie T. Evaluation of three-dimensional cultured HepG2 cells in a nano culture plate system: an in vitro human model of acetaminophen hepatotoxicity. Journal of pharmacological sciences. 2014;13135FP.
18. Domansky K, Inman W, Serdy J, Dash A, Lim MH, Griffith LG. Perfused multiwell plate for 3D liver tissue engineering. Lab on a chip. 2010;10(1):51-8.
19. LeCluyse EL. Human hepatocyte culture systems for the in vitro evaluation of cytochrome P450 expression and regulation. European journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2001; 13(4):343-68.
20. Kumar MS, Aanandhi MV. An Insight into the Therapeutic Potential of Pyridopyrimidines as Anticancer Agents. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(3):1259-69.
21. Nandhakumar L, Dharmamoorthy G, Chandrasekaran S. Hydrogels: A multifaceted contemporary approaches and advancements. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(11):1658-62.
22. Narayanan AV, Charyulu RN. Pharmacoelectronics and electropharmaceutics: the arts and science of electronic drug delivery. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(10):3544-8.
23. Senthilraja P, Kathiresan K. In vitro cytotoxicity MTT assay in Vero, HepG2 and MCF-7 cell lines study of Marine Yeast. J Appl Pharm Sci. 2015; 5(3):080-4.
24. Kumar S, Raj S, Sarkar K, Chatterjee K. Engineering a multi-biofunctional composite using poly (ethylenimine) decorated graphene oxide for bone tissue regeneration. Nanoscale. 2016; 8(12):6820-36.
25. Godoy P, Hewitt NJ, Albrecht U, Andersen ME, Ansari N, Bhattacharya S, Bode JG, Bolleyn J, Borner C, Boettger J, Braeuning A. Recent advances in 2D and 3D in vitro systems using primary hepatocytes, alternative hepatocyte sources and non-parenchymal liver cells and their use in investigating mechanisms of hepatotoxicity, cell signaling and ADME. Archives of toxicology. 2013; 87(8):1315-530.
26. Weaver VM, Petersen OW, Wang F, Larabell CA, Briand P, Damsky C, Bissell MJ. Reversion of the malignant phenotype of human breast cells in three-dimensional culture and in vivo by integrin blocking antibodies. The Journal of cell biology. 1997; 137(1):231-45.
27. Daus AW, Goldhammer M, Layer PG, Thielemann C. Electromagnetic exposure of scaffold‐free three‐dimensional cell culture systems. Bioelectromagnetics. 2011; 32(5):351-9.
28. Lin RZ, Chou LF, Chien CC, Chang HY. Dynamic analysis of hepatoma spheroid formation: roles of E-cadherin and β1-integrin. Cell and tissue research. 2006; 324(3):411-22.
29. Loessner D, Stok KS, Lutolf MP, Hutmacher DW, Clements JA, Rizzi SC. Bioengineered 3D platform to explore cell–ECM interactions and drug resistance of epithelial ovarian cancer cells. Biomaterials. 2010; 31(32):8494-506.
30. Noh JR, Kim YH, Hwang JH, Gang GT, Kim KS, Lee IK, Yun BS, Lee CH. Davallialactone protects against acetaminophen overdose-induced liver injuries in mice. Food and chemical toxicology. 2013; 58:14-21.
31. Fey SJ, Wrzesinski K. Determination of drug toxicity using 3D spheroids constructed from an immortal human hepatocyte cell line. Toxicological sciences. 2012; 127(2):403-11.
32. Samal PK, Dangi JS, Meena KP, Beck NR, Maheshwari G, Patel A. Hepatoprotective activity of Butea monosperma bark on liver damage caused by paracetamol in rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(5):771-4.
33. Bhavani R, Geetha G, Santhoshkumar J, Rajeshkumar S. Evaluation of Antibacterial action and Hepatoprotective efficiency of Solanum nigrum leaves extract on acetaminophen induced hepatotoxicity Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2015; 8(7):893900.
34. Manokaran S, Saravanan VS, Bhargavi Y. Hepatoprotective activity of Prunus persica peaches against paracetamol induced hepatotoxicity. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2011; 3(2): 75-76