The privilege of delivering the Fluoxetine (SSRI) drug intra nasaly through citosan Nanocarrier Systems in order to enhance the drug efficacy in terms of dose, frequency and patient compliance over its oral dosage form. These nanocarrier was Synthesis and were evaluated by studying their drug loading and entrapment efficiency, in vitro release and characterization including particle size and morphology, pH range and viscosity measurements. Nanocarrier Systems possessed optimum droplet size, polydispersity and viscosity with a promising release and permeation properties and characterized by their patient friendly nonirritant property due to their compatible pH values with human tissue. Such results shed a beam of light on the opportunity of the nasal delivery of Synthesised citosan Nanocarrier Systems in providing a more sustainable controlled delivery of the drug for longer periods, over two weeks, in contrast to the oral dosage form, citosan Nanocarrier Systemhelped in limiting the inconvenient drawbacks accompanied with the oral dosage form.
Cite this article:
Noopur Dixit, Aditya Trivedi, Dheeraj Ahirwar. Synthesis of Citosan Nanocarrier Systems for Improving SSRI-Fluoxetine Efficacy in MDD. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(5): 2387-2392. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00429.1
1. Perinatal Nutrition and Programmed Risk for Neuropsychiatric Disorders: A Focus on Animal Models DeCapo M., Thompson J.R., Dunn G., Sullivan E.L.(2019) Biological Psychiatry, 85 (2),pp. 122-134.]
2. Gelenberg AJ. The prevalence and impact of depression. J Clin Psychiatry 2010;71:e06.
3. Bondy B. Pathophysiology of depression and mechanisms of treatment,Dialogues. Clin Neurosci 2002;4:7–20.
4. Millan MJ. The role of monoamines in the actions of established and“novel” antidepressant agents: a critical review. Eur J Pharmacol 2004;500:371–384.
5. Skolnick P. Beyond monoamine-based therapies: clues to new approaches. J Clin Psychiatry 2002;63 Suppl 2:19–23.
6. Ammar HO, Badawi AA, Mostafa DM and Abou-Taleb SA: Novel microemulsions as transdermal delivery systems for enhanced efficacy of fluoxetine hydrochloride. AJPSR, 2012; 2 (4): 1-16.
7. Kranz H, Brazeau GA, Napaporn J, Martin RL, Millard W and Bodmeier R: Myotoxicity studies of injectable biodegradable in-situ forming drug systems. Int J Pharm, 2001; 212: 11-18.
8. Calvo P, Gouritin B, Chacun H, Desmaele D, D’Angelo J, Noel JP et al. Long-circulating PEGylated polycyanoacrylate nanoparticles as new drug carrier for brain delivery. Pharm Res 2001;18:1157–1166.