Vijayalakshmi N, Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao
Vijayalakshmi N1, Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao2*
1Student, Department of Industrial Biotechnology, Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai-600073.
2Professor, Department of Industrial Biotechnology, Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai-600073.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2020
The present report deals with the phytochemical and antioxidant activities of various extracts of the leaves of one medicinal plant of importance, Arkaraga (Vitex negundo). In Ayurveda Vitex negundo is known as Nirgundi, meaning “protects the body from all diseases”. The water, ethanol, methanol and hexane extracts of leaves were subjected to phytochemical analysis. Flavonoids and cardiac glycosides were present in all the extracts whereas amino acids and proteins were absent in all of them. Alkaloids and triple sugars were present in methanol and hexane fractions whereas triterpenoids were present in all but water extract. Saponins and Tanins were observed in ethanol, methanol and water extracts and Anthraquinones were observed in ethanol and water extracts. Steroids were present in methanol and hexane fractions and absent in ethanol and water fractions. The DPPH antioxidant assay of water extracts indicated moderate activity with IC50 value of 111.16 as compared to Ascorbic acid, which were 348.275. The FRAP antioxidant assay four all the four extracts indicated that the water extract showed better activity compared to standards, Ascorbic acid and Quercetin (70.563, 85.162, 79. 647, respectively). The ethanol and methanol extract also showed promising antioxidant activities which were nearer to the values of the standards (80.67 and 84.57). It is concluded that this plant has promising antioxidant potential which could be attributed to as one of its roles as medicine.
Cite this article:
Vijayalakshmi N, Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao. Preliminary Phytochemical and Antioxidant Studies of Leaf extracts of one Medicinal plant, Vitex negundo. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(5): 2167-2173. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00390.X
Vijayalakshmi N, Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao. Preliminary Phytochemical and Antioxidant Studies of Leaf extracts of one Medicinal plant, Vitex negundo. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(5): 2167-2173. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00390.X Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-5-20
1. Nair AK, Chandrasekhar MJN, Shiji Kumar PS. Phytochemical and pharmacological aspects of Strobilanthes ciliatus: A Review. Int J Res Ayur Pharma. 2016; 7(4):72-77.
2. Dineshkumar G, Rajakumar R. GC-MS evaluation of bioactive molecules from the methanolic leaf extract of Azadirachta indica (A.JUSS). Asian J of Pharmaceutical Science and Tech; 2015; 5(2), 64.
3. Suh SJ, Kwak CH, Chung TW, Park SJ, Cheeeei M, Park SS, Seo CS, Son JK, Chang YC, Park YG, et al. Pimaric acid from Aralia cordata has an inhibitory effect on TNF-α-induced MMP-9 production and HASMC migration via down-regulated NF-κB and AP-1. Chem Biol Interact. 2012;119:112–119. doi:10.1016/j.cbi.2012.06.003.
4. Kumaravelu C, Gopal A, Ram Krishna Rao M, Ravi A, Sanjay Kumar Singh, Sampad Shil. Authentication of Ayurvedic Medicine Trikatu Churna Using Near Infrared Spectroscopy - A Novel Approach. Indo American J of Pharmaceutical Res, 2017; 7(11), 947-953.
5. Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao, Selva Kumar S. Preliminary phytochemical analysis of herbal plant Hygrophila auriculata. Indo Amrican Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2017; 4 (12): 4580-4583
6. Praveen Kumar P, Rao MRK, Arul Amutha Elizabeth, Prabhu K, Lakshmi Sundaram R, Shruthi Dinakar. “The GC MS Analysis of One Ayurvedic Medicine Sahacharadi Kashayam. Int J of Pharmacy and Technology, 2017; 10(1): 31214-31230
7. Jayakumari S, Prabhu K, Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao, B h u p e s h, Kumaran D, Aishwariya Ramesh. The GC MS Analysis of a Rare Medicinal Plant Aloe barbadensis. J. Pharm. Sci. and Res. 2017; 9(7): 1035-1037
8. Selva Kumar Sivagnanam, Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao, Saintani Choudhury. In vitro antibacterial efficacy of Mucuna pruriens and Vetiveria zizanoides on selected human pathogens. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2018; 8(1):b1281-1286
9. Rao MRK, Vijaya Lakshmi N. Preliminary phytochemical and GC MS analysis of different extracts of Sphaeranthus indicus leaves. Indo American J of Pharmaceuical Sciences, 2018; 5(3): 1511-1520
10. Rao MRK, Vijaya lakshmi N, Lakshmi Sundaram R. Preliminary phytochemical and GC MS analysis of different extracts of Psophocarpus tetragonolobus leaves. Indo American J of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2018; 5(3):1649-1656.
11. Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao, Anisha G. Preliminary phytochemical and GC MS study of one medicinal plant Carissa spinarum. Indo American J of Pharmaceutical Research, 2018; 8(3): 414-421
12. Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao, Balasubramanuam M. TLC, GC MS and antibacterial study of methanol extracts of Tribulus terrestris thorns and Morinaga oleifera flowers. Indo American J of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 5(5): 3300-3308.
13. Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao, Sampad Shil. Thin Layer Chromatography - As a tool for standardization of Ayurvedic medicine, Triphala churna. Indo American J of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2018; 5(05): 3804-3817
14. Sampad Shil, Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao, Prabhu K, Amuthvalli K. Thin Layer Chromatography - As a tool for standardization of Ayurvedic medicine, Trikatu churna. Indo American J of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 5(6): 5039-5046.
15. Kotteswari M, Rao MRK, Siva Kumar, Prabhu K, Lakshmi Sundaram R, Shruthi Dinakar.. GC MS analysis of one Ayurvedic preparation, Aswagandharishtam. Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, 2018; 11(2):1061-1072.
16. Edel Queen Z, Rao MRK, Jacintha Anthony, Prabhu K, Kavimani M, Shanthi Balasubramanian B, Lakshmi Sundaram R, Shruthi Dinakar. Antioxidant study of one ayurvedic preparation, Amrithamehari churnam. IJPT, 2018; 10(2):31312-31318
17. Ganesan A, Rengasundari R, Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao, Raguram Ganesan. Screening of analgesic activity of Kodasuri veervaiuppu by tail immersion method. IJPT, 2018:10(2):31342-31349
18. Ganesan A, Rengasundari R, Mudiganti Ram Krishna Rao, Raguram Ganesan. Some toxicological studies of one sidha formulation “Kodasuri veeravaippu”. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2018; 8(7):1407-1411.
19. Nautiyal R, Suresh Chaubey, Meenakshi Pandey, Chityanand Tiwari. A versatile plant: Nirgundi (Vitex negundo linn.) w.s.r to its medicinal use and pharmacological activity. European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018, 5(8): 226-232
20. Ladda PL, Magdum CS. Vitex negundo Linn.: Ethnobatany, Phytochemistry and Pharmacology-A Review: International Journal of Advances in Pharmacy, Biology and Chemistry. 2012; 1(1): 111-120.
21. Anita Rani, Anupam Sharma. The Genus Vitex: Review. Pharmacogn. Rev. 2013; 7(14):188-198.
22. Tandon VR, Gupta RK. Vitex negundo Linn. (VN) leaf extract as an adjuvant therapy to standard anti-inflammatory drugs. Indian J Med Res. 2006; 124: 447–50.
23. Jignesh P, Samir S, Shrikalp D, Gaurang S. Evaluation of the anti-asthmatic activity of leaves of Vitex negundo. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2009; 2: 81–6.
24. Eazhisaivallabi D, Ambika R, Venkatalakshmi P. Preliminary phytochemical analysis and antimicrobial screening of Hygrophila spinosa. International Journal of PharmTech Research, 2012; 4(1): 466-468.
25. Adetuyi AO, Popoola AV. Extraction and Dye ability potential studies of the colourant in Zanthoxylum zanthosxyloides Plant on cotton fabric. J Sci Eng Tech, 8(2), 2001, 3291-3299.
26. Trease GE, Evans WC. Pharmacognosy 11th Edn. 1989; Brailliar Tirida canb Macmillian Publishers
27. Solver-Rivas C, Juan Carlos Espín, Harry J. Wichers. An easy and fast test to compare total free radical scavenger capacity of foodstuffs. Phytochemical Analysis. 2000; 11 (5): 330-338
28. Braca A, Sortino C, Politi M. Antioxidant activity of flavonoids from Licania licaniaeflora. J Ethnopharmacol, 2002; 9:379-381
29. Yen GC, Duh PD. Scavenging effect of methanolic extracts of peanut hulls on free-radical and active-oxygen species. J Agric Food Chem, 1994; 42: 629-632.
30. Oyaizu M. Studies on product of browning reaction prepared from glucose amine. Jpn J Nutr. 1986; 7:307‐15.