Aim: To compare the effect with or without the physiotherapy intervention following the platelet Rich plasma therapy in subjects with grade 3 OA knee. Background: Osteoarthritis is a chronic degenerative conditions that results from breakdown of joint cartilage and underlying bone showing symptoms like pain, joint stiffness, swelling, joint deformity. Platelet Rich plasma is a concentrate of platelets obtained from one's own blood. Platelets have great potential in enhancing healing of muscles, tendon and ligaments. The growth factors released by platelets recruit reparative cells and may augment tissue repair and accelerate soft tissue healing. Methodology: 30 subjects were selected based on the inclusion and exclusion criteria and the subjects were divided into 2 groups with 15 each as group A and group B. Physiotherapy treatment (stretching and strengthening exercises for quadriceps)was given after the PRP procedure to Group A from the day of procedure. Group B are treated medically(acetaminophen) without physiotherapy exercises after the PRP procedure. Outcome Measures: Visual analog scale(VAS) and WOMAC scale were used as outcome measures. Results: Group A who have undergone physiotherapy treatment after PRP procedure is more significant(p value <0.0001) than the group B people who are treated medically without physiotherapy exercises. Conclusion: The study concluded that the physiotherapy interventions are more effective when it i given after the PRP procedure by decreasing pain, stiffness and improving the patient's physical functions.
Cite this article:
Sowmya M. V, Mangayarkarasi. M. Effect of Physiotherapy Intervention after Platelet Rich Plasma Procedure in Subjects with Grade 3 Osteoarthritis Knee. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(5):2065-2068. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00371.6
Sowmya M. V, Mangayarkarasi. M. Effect of Physiotherapy Intervention after Platelet Rich Plasma Procedure in Subjects with Grade 3 Osteoarthritis Knee. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(5):2065-2068. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00371.6 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-5-1
1. Bowel SG, Cole BJ,Sundman EA,et.al.Platelet rich plasma;a milieu of bioactive factors.Arthroscopy.2012; 28(3):429-39.
2. Andriolo L, Di Matteo B,Kon E,et al.Platelet rich plasma augmentation for ACL reconstruction Biomed Res Int.2015; 2015: 371746.
3. Di Matteo B,Filardo G,Kon E,et al.Platelet rich plasma;evidence for the treatment of patellar and achilles tendinopathy-a systemic review Musculoskeletal surg.2015; 99(1):1-9.
4. Maheux CJ,Me Culloch PC,Lintner DM,et al.Efficacy of intra-articular platelet rich plasma injection in knee osteoarthritis;a systemic review arthroscopy. 2015.
5. Filardo G,Kon E,Roffi A,et al.Platelet rich plasma;why intra articular?A systemic review of preclinical studies and clinical evidence on PRP for joint degeneration.Knee surg sports traumated arthroscopy.2015; 23(9): 2459-74.
6. Riddle DL,Stratford PW.Unilateral vs bilateral symptomatic knee OA,associations between pain intensity and function Rheumatology (oxford).2013; 52(12):2229-39.
7. Kon E,Filardo G,DI Matteo B,et al.PRP for the treatment of cartilage pathology.Open Orthop J.2013; 7:120-8.
8. Gulls Kavadar, Demet Tekdos Demircioglu, Memet Yusuf Celik, Tuluhan Yunus Emre.Effectiveness of platelet rich plasma in the treatment of moderate knee osteoarthritis:a randomized prospective study.2015; 27(12): 3863-7.
9. Chang KV, Hung CY, Aliwarga F, et al. Comparitive effectiveness of platelet rich plasma injections for treating knee joint cartilage degenerative pathology;a systemic review and meta-analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil.2014; 95(3): 562-75.
10. Steinert AF, Middleton KX, Axeuyo PH, et al.Platelet rich plasma in orthopedic surgery and sports medicine pearls,pitfalls and new trends in research Oper Tech Orthop.2012.
11. Interventional procedure overview of platelet rich plasma injections for osteoarthritis of the knee. NICE International Procedure Guidance.2014.
12. Misso ML, Pitt VJ, Jones KM, et al. Quality and consistency of clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis and management of osteoarthritis of the hip and knee:a descriptive overview of published guidelines. Med J Aust.2008; 189(7):394-9.
13. Kijowski R, Blankenbaker D,Stanton P, et al. Arthroscopic validation of radiographic grading scales of osteoarthritis of the tibofemoral joint. AJR Am J Roentgenol.2006; 187(7):794-9.
14. Ayhan E, Kesmezacar H, Akgun I. Intrarticular injections for the knee osteoarthritis.World J orthod.2014;5(3): 351-61.
15. Castillo TN, Pouliot MA, Kim HJ, et al. Comparison of growth factor and platelet concentration from commercial platelet rich plasma seperation systems.Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39(2): 261-77.