Mostafa Hoseini, Alireza Negahi, Farnaz Vosough, Borna Farazmand, Fereshteh Vosough, Behnood Farazmand, Masoud Haghighi Kian
Mostafa Hoseini1, Alireza Negahi2, Farnaz Vosough3, Borna Farazmand4, Fereshteh Vosough5, Behnood Farazmand6, Masoud Haghighi Kian7*
1Professor of Surgery, Head and Neck Surgery, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
2Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
3Medical Doctor, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
4Department of Radiation Oncology, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
5Medical Doctor, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
6Resident of Surgery, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
7Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran Iran.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Solitary fibrous tumor (SFT) is a rare, spindle-cell neoplasm, which is classified as mesenchymal neoplasm emanating from ubiquitous dendritic interstitial cells. SFTs are benign tumor with a low rate of malignancy developed in intrathoracic areas and its growth is rarely observed in extrapleural locations. Based on to the rarity of malignant SFT, there is no certain treatment to the inoperable malignant. This case study is a report of a man with SFT of the pelvis, transverse mesocolon, and peritoneum. So far, more than 58 patients with SFT of the pelvic have been reported in the literature, out of which 26% of them were malignant either clinically or histologically. The female/male ratio was equal within the age range of 27-83 years. The size of reported tumors were ranged 1-33 cm. Malignancy were reported in 26% of cases.
Cite this article:
Mostafa Hoseini, Alireza Negahi, Farnaz Vosough, Borna Farazmand, Fereshteh Vosough, Behnood Farazmand, Masoud Haghighi Kian. Solitary Fibrous Tumor in Pelvis Extended to Transverse Mesocolon and Peritoneum. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4):1941-1948. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00350.9
1. Kawamura S, Nakamura T, Oya T, Ishizawa S, Sakai Y, Tanaka T, et al. Advanced malignant soli-tary fibrous tumor in pelvis responding to radiation therapy. Pathology international. 2007;57(4):213-8.
2. Rosado-de-Christenson ML, Abbott GF, McAdams HP, Franks TJ, Galvin JR. From the archives of the AFIP: localized fibrous tumors of the pleura. Radiographics. 2003;23(3):759-83.
3. Sung SH, Chang J-W, Kim J, Lee KS, Han J, Park SI. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura: surgical outcome and clinical course. The Annals of thoracic surgery. 2005; 79(1):303-7.
4. Thorgeirsson T, Isaksson HJ, Hardardottir H, Alfredsson H, Gudbjartsson T. Solitary fibrous tu-mors of the pleura: an estimation of population incidence. Chest. 2010; 137(4):1005-6.
5. Okike N, Bernatz P, Woolner L. Localized mesothelioma of the pleura: benign and malignant variants. The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. 1978;75(3):363-72.
6. Ishihara H, Omae K, Iizuka J, Kobayashi H, Fukuda I, Kondo T, et al. Late recurrence of a malig-nant hypoglycemia‑inducing pelvic solitary fibrous tumor secreting high‑molecular‑weight insu-lin‑like growth factor‑II: A case report with protein analysis. Oncology letters. 2016; 12(1):479-84.
7. Ando R, Kobayashi D, Naiki T, Kawai N, Sasaki S, Kohri K. Pelvic solitary fibrous tumor originally diagnosed as prostatic in origin. Clinical imaging. 2012; 36(3):243-5.
8. Briselli M, Mark EJ, Dickersin GR. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura: eight new cases and re-view of 360 cases in the literature. Cancer. 1981; 47(11):2678-89.
9. Shrivastava1 Sh, Akasapu A, and Sharma L. Knowledge Discovery in Spatial Databases. International Journal of Technology. 2011; 1(1): 23-28
10. Verma R, Nanda V. A Novel Approach For Public key Infrastructure. Int. J. Tech. 2011;1(2):112-6.
11. Kumar TK, Pillai AR. Ethical Principles and Decision Making. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management. 2015;3(1):52-3.
12. Soni R, and Burje S. Tumor Detection Algorithm Using Boundary Based Approach, International Journal of Technology. 2011; 1(2):101-106
13. Shekar P, Devi GK, Kumar KS. Analysis of Lymphoma Neoplasm and their Phenotypes. Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2013 Oct 1;4(4):5.
14. Jain N.K. Vibration Analysis of Fibrous Composite Plates with Central Circular Hole. International J. Technology. 2014; 4.
15. Dev AN, Sarma J. Solitary Wave Solution of Higher order Kadomstev-Petviashvili Equation for Complex Plasma. International J. Technology. Jan.–June. 2014;4(1).
16. Khande AM, Udapi G. A Comparative Study to Assess the Level of Depression among the Elderly Residing in Old Age Home and with the Family. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2014 Jun 28;2(2):104-12.
17. Tian T-T, Wu J-T, Hu X-H, Yang G-M, Sun J, Chen W-X, et al. Imaging findings of solitary fibrous tumor in the abdomen and pelvis. Abdominal imaging. 2014;39(6):1323-9.
18. Baldi GG, Stacchiotti S, Mauro V, Dei Tos AP, Gronchi A, Pastorino U, et al. Solitary fibrous tu-mor of all sites: outcome of late recurrences in 14 patients. Clinical sarcoma research. 2013;3(1):4.
19. Park M, Patel S, Ludwig J, Trent J, Conrad C, Lazar A, et al. Combination therapy with te-mozolomide and bevacizumab in the treatment of hemangiopericytoma/malignant solitary fibrous tumor. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2008;26(15_suppl):10512-.
20. Hasegawa T, Hirose T, Seki K, Yang P, Sano T. Solitary fibrous tumor of the soft tissue: an im-munohistochemical and ultrastructural study. American journal of clinical pathology. 1996;106(3):325-31.
21. Goodlad J, Fletcher C. Solitary fibrous tumour arising at unusual sites: analysis of a series. His-topathology. 1991;19(6):515-22.
22. Trastour C, Piche M, Bafghi A, Checchi-Guichard C, Bongain A. Solitary fibrous tumor of the pel-vis. European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology. 2006;124(2):254-5.
23. Guo G, Zhang X, Zhou ZH. Clinical characteristics of malignant solitary fibrous tumors of the kid-ney with thoracic vertebral metastasis. International Journal of Urology. 2012;19(2):177-8.
24. Tanaka M, Sawai H, Okada Y, Yamamoto M, Funahashi H, Hayakawa T, et al. Malignant solitary fibrous tumor originating from the peritoneum and reviewof the literature. Medical science monitor. 2006;12(10):CS95-CS8.
25. Young R, Clement P, McCaughey W. Solitary fibrous tumors ('fibrous mesotheliomas') of the peritoneum. A report of three cases and a review of the literature. Archives of pathology & laboratory medicine. 1990;114(5):493-5.
26. Fukunaga M, Nikaido T. Solitary fibrous tumour of the renal peripelvis. Histopathology. 1997;30(5):451-6.
27. Yoshida R, Takada H, Iwamoto S, Uedono Y, Kawanishi H, Yoshioka K, et al. A solitary fibrous tumor in the perianal region with a 13-year follow-up: report of a case. Surgery today. 1999;29(7):642-5.
28. Lasota J, Carlson JA, Miettinen M. Spindle cell tumor of urinary bladder serosa with phenotypic and genotypic features of gastrointestinal stromal tumor: a clinical report with documentation of KIT expression and mutation. Archives of pathology & laboratory medicine. 2000;124(6):894-7.
29. Yazaki T, Satoh S, Iizumi T, Umeda T, Yamaguchi Y. Solitary fibrous tumor of renal pelvis. Inter-national Journal of Urology. 2001;8(9):504-8.
30. Wiessner D, Dittert D-D, Manseck A, Wirth MP. Large solitary fibrous tumor of the seminal ves-icle. Urology. 2003;62(5):941.
31. Madhuvrata P, Jayachandran M, Edmonds D, Agarwal S, El-Bahrawy M. Retroperitoneal solitary fibrous tumour arising from the pelvis in women–A case report and review of literature. Journal of ob-stetrics and gynaecology. 2005;25(2):189-92.
32. Ishikawa T, Kawabata G, Terakawa T, Kamidono S, Fujisawa M. Solitary fibrous tumor in the pelvic space. Urological research. 2004;32(1):49-50.
33. Nagase T, Adachi I, Yamada T, Murakami N, Morita K, Yoshino Y, et al. Solitary fibrous tumor in the pelvic cavity with hypoglycemia: report of a case. Surgery today. 2005;35(2):181-4.
34. Vossough A, Torigian DA, Zhang PJ, Siegelman ES, Banner MP. Extrathoracic solitary fibrous tumor of the pelvic peritoneum with central malignant degeneration on CT and MRI. Journal of Mag-netic Resonance Imaging: An Official Journal of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2005;22(5):684-6.
35. Yi B, Bewtra C, Yussef K, Silva E. Giant pelvic solitary fibrous tumor obstructing intestinal and urinary tract: a case report and literature review. The American Surgeon. 2007;73(5):478-80.
36. Chu P-W, Liu J-Y, Peng Y-J, Yu M-H. Solitary fibrous tumor of the uterus. Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2006;45(4):350-2.
37. Kawamura M, Izawa K, Hosono N, Hirano H. Solitary fibrous tumor of the spinal cord: case re-port and review of the literature. Neurosurgery. 2004;55(2): E433-E8.
38. Sano T, Nishiyama H, Kanematsu A, Takahashi T, Nakamura E, Kamoto T, et al. Solitary fibrous tumor in the pelvic space: a case report. Hinyokika kiyo Acta urologica Japonica. 2007;53(12):897-901.
39. Wat SYJ, Sur M, Dhamanaskar K. Solitary fibrous tumor (SFT) of the pelvis. Clinical imaging. 2008; 32(2):152-6.
40. Joe BN, Bolaris M, Horvai A, Yeh BM, Coakley FV, Meng MV. Solitary fibrous tumor of the male pelvis: findings at CT with histopathologic correlation. Clinical imaging. 2008;32(5):403-6.
41. Xue X, Chen J, Ma W, Zhu D, Zhang W, Chen G, et al. Mediastinal solitary fibrous tumor with right diaphragm invasion: report of a case. Surgery today. 2009;39(4):332-4.
42. Wagner S, Greco F, Hamza A, Hoda RM, Holzhausen HJ, Fornara P. Retroperitoneal malignant solitary fibrous tumor of the small pelvis causing recurrent hypoglycemia by secretion of insulin-like growth factor 2. European urology. 2009; 55(3):739-42.
43. Katsuno H, Maeda K, Hanai T, Sato H, Masumori K, Koide Y, et al. Trans-sacral resection of a solitary fibrous tumor in the pelvis: report of a case. Surgery today. 2011;41(11):1548.
44. Hata T, Tsuruta Y, Takamori S, Shishikura Y. Non-islet cell tumor hypoglycemia at the second recurrence of malignant solitary fibrous tumor in the retroperitoneum and pelvis: a case report. Case reports in oncology. 2012;5(2):420-7.
45. Kurisaki-Arakawa A, Akaike K, Hara K, Arakawa A, Takahashi M, Mitani K, et al. A case of dedif-ferentiated solitary fibrous tumor in the pelvis with TP53 mutation. Virchows Archiv. 2014;465(5):615-21.
46. Hosaka S, Katagiri H, Wasa J, Murata H, Takahashi M. Solitary fibrous tumor in the pelvis: in-duced hypoglycemia associated with insulin-like growth factor II. Journal of Orthopaedic Science. 2015;20(2):439-43.
47. Schutt RC, Gordon TA, Bhabhra R, Cathro HP, Cook SL, McCartney CR, et al. Doege-Potter syn-drome presenting with hypoinsulinemic hypoglycemia in a patient with a malignant extrapleural soli-tary fibrous tumor: a case report. Journal of Medical case reports. 2013;7(1):11.
48. Wang H, Chen P, Zhao W, Shi L, Gu X, Xu Q. Clinicopathological findings in a case series of ab-dominopelvic solitary fibrous tumors. Oncology letters. 2014;7(4):1067-72.
49. Kim MY, Jeon S, Choi SD, Nam KH, Sunwoo JG, Lee J-H. A case of solitary fibrous tumor in the pelvis presenting massive hemorrhage during surgery. Obstetrics & gynecology science. 2015;58(1):73-6.
50. Tsushimi T, Yagi T, Tomozawa N, Ohnishi H. Retroperitoneal solitary fibrous tumor of the pelvis with pollakiuria: a case report. BMC research notes. 2012;5(1):593.
51. Yokoyama Y, Hata K, Kanazawa T, Yamaguchi H, Ishihara S, Sunami E, et al. Giant solitary fibrous tumor of the pelvis successfully treated with preoperative embolization and surgical resection: a case report. World journal of surgical oncology. 2015;13(1):164.
52. Soda H, Kainuma O, Yamamoto H, Nagata M, Takiguchi N, Ikeda A, et al. Giant intrapelvic soli-tary fibrous tumor arising from mesorectum. Clinical journal of gastroenterology. 2010;3(3):136-9.
53. Dozier J, Jameel Z, McCain DA, Hassoun P, Bamboat ZM. Massive malignant solitary fibrous tu-mor arising from the bladder serosa: a case report. Journal of medical case reports. 2015;9(1):46.
54. Lee JH, Lee SH, Kim JH, Park SH, Park JT, Kim SI, et al. Solitary fibrous tumor of the renal peripelvis. Korean Journal of Urology. 2007;48(7):748-50.
55. Zerón-Medina J, Rodríguez-Covarrubias F, García-Mora A, Guerrero-Hernandez M, Chablé-Montero F, Albores-Saavedra J, et al. Solitary fibrous tumor of the pelvis treated with preoperative embolization and pelvic exenteration. The American Surgeon. 2011;77(1):112.
56. Shoji S, Nakano M, Yamamoto S, Okada N, Nagata Y, Sekido Y, et al. Surgical resection using retroperitoneal approach for solitary fibrous tumor in the pelvis. Oncology letters. 2011;2(4):675-7.
57. Boe J, Chimpiri AR, Liu CZ. Solitary fibrous tumor originating in the pelvis: a case report. Journal of radiology case reports. 2010;4(7):21.
58. Jarlot C, Michalak S, Verriele V, Ridereau-Zins C, Chautard D, Lorimier G, et al. Solitary fibrous tumors of the pelvis: Report of two cases with radio-pathological correlation. European Journal of Ra-diology Extra. 2008;65(1):25-8.
59. Pata F, Orsini V, Lucisano AM, Pafundi DP, Sacco R. Solitary fibrous tumor of the pelvis: an un-common soft-tissue tumor. Ann Ital Chir. 2010;81(6):457-60.
60. Gao C, Zhang Y, Li Y-Y, Yu Y-H, Qu W, Gao Y-S, et al. Postoperative recurrence solitary fibrous tumor of the pelvic with malignant transformation. International journal of clinical and experimental medicine. 2015;8(9):16827.
61. Sueblinvong T, Judson PL, Downs LS, Argenta PA. Solitary fibrous tumors arising from the fe-male pelvis. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;118(2):470-4.
62. Suster S, Fisher C, Moran CA. Expression of bcl-2 oncoprotein in benign and malignant spindle cell tumors of soft tissue, skin, serosal surfaces, and gastrointestinal tract. The American journal of sur-gical pathology. 1998;22(7):863-72.
63. Mussak EN, Tu JJ, Voigt EP. Malignant solitary fibrous tumor of the hypopharynx with dyspha-gia. Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery. 2005;133(5):805-7.
64. Vallat-Decouvelaere A-V, Dry SM, Fletcher CD. Atypical and malignant solitary fibrous tumors in extrathoracic locations: evidence of their comparability to intra-thoracic tumors. The American journal of surgical pathology. 1998;22(12):1501-11.
65. England DM, Hochholzer L, McCarthy MJ. Localized benign and malignant fibrous tumors of the pleura. A clinicopathologic review of 223 cases. The American journal of surgical pathology. 1989;13(8):640-58.
66. Ballo MT, Zagars GK, Cormier JN, Hunt KK, Feig BW, Patel SR, et al. Interval between surgery and radiotherapy: effect on local control of soft tissue sarcoma. International Journal of Radiation On-cology* Biology* Physics. 2004;58(5):1461-7.
67. Tepper JE, Suit HD. Radiation therapy alone for sarcoma of soft tissue. Cancer. 1985;56(3):475-9.
68. Clark MA, Fisher C, Judson I, Thomas JM. Soft-tissue sarcomas in adults. New England journal of medicine. 2005;353(7):701-11.
69. Guillou L. Extrapleural solitary fibrous tumour and hemangiopericytoma. Pathology and genet-ics of tumours of soft tissue and bone. 2002.
70. Jo VY, Fletcher CD. WHO classification of soft tissue tumours: an update based on the 2013 (4th) edition. Pathology. 2014;46(2):95-104.
71. Gold JS, Antonescu CR, Hajdu C, Ferrone CR, Hussain M, Lewis JJ, et al. Clinicopathologic corre-lates of solitary fibrous tumors. Cancer. 2002;94(4):1057-68.
72. Collini P, Negri T, Barisella M, Palassini E, Tarantino E, Pastorino U, et al. High-grade sarcoma-tous overgrowth in solitary fibrous tumors: a clinicopathologic study of 10 cases. The American journal of surgical pathology. 2012;36(8):1202-15.
73. Mosquera J-M, Fletcher CD. Expanding the spectrum of malignant progression in solitary fi-brous tumors: a study of 8 cases with a discrete anaplastic component—is this dedifferentiated SFT? The American journal of surgical pathology. 2009;33(9):1314-21.
74. Subramaniam MM, Lim XY, Venkateswaran K, Shuen CS, Soong R, Petersson F. Dedifferentiat-ed solitary fibrous tumour of the nasal cavity: the first case reported with molecular characterization of a TP53 mutation. Histopathology. 2011;59(6):1269-74.
75. Doyle LA, Vivero M, Fletcher CD, Mertens F, Hornick JL. Nuclear expression of STAT6 distin-guishes solitary fibrous tumor from histologic mimics. Modern Pathology. 2014;27(3):390.
76. Schweizer L, Koelsche C, Sahm F, Piro R, Capper D, Reuss D, et al. Herold− Mende C, Mechtersheimer G, Paulus W, König R, Wiestler OD, Pfister SM, von Deimling A: Meningeal hemangi-opericytoma and solitary fibrous tumors carry the NAB2− STAT6 fusion and can be diagnosed by nucle-ar expression of STAT6 protein. Acta Neuropathol. 2013; 125:651-8.
77. Yoshida A, Tsuta K, Ohno M, Yoshida M, Narita Y, Kawai A, et al. STAT6 immunohistochemistry is helpful in the diagnosis of solitary fibrous tumors. The American journal of surgical pathology. 2014;38(4):552-9.
78. Schweizer L, Koelsche C, Sahm F, Piro RM, Capper D, Reuss DE, et al. Meningeal hemangioperi-cytoma and solitary fibrous tumors carry the NAB2-STAT6 fusion and can be diagnosed by nuclear ex-pression of STAT6 protein. Acta neuropathologica. 2013;125(5):651-8.
79. Schirosi L, Lantuejoul S, Cavazza A, Murer B, Brichon PY, Migaldi M, et al. Pleuro-pulmonary solitary fibrous tumors: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular study of 88 cases con-firming the prognostic value of de Perrot staging system and p53 expression, and evaluating the role of c-kit, BRAF, PDGFRs (α/β), c-met, and EGFR. The American journal of surgical pathology. 2008;32(11):1627-42.
80. Boyd C, McCluggage WG. Low-grade ovarian serous neoplasms (low-grade serous carcinoma and serous borderline tumor) associated with high-grade serous carcinoma or undifferentiated carci-noma: report of a series of cases of an unusual phenomenon. The American journal of surgical pathol-ogy. 2012;36(3):368-75.
81. Soares P, Lima J, Preto A, Castro P, Vinagre J, Celestino R, et al. Genetic alterations in poorly differentiated and undifferentiated thyroid carcinomas. Current genomics. 2011;12(8):609-17.