Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna, Raghu Raj Naik, Sistla Mounica Pratyusha
Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna*, Raghu Raj Naik, Sistla Mounica Pratyusha
Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, GITAM Institute of Pharmacy, GITAM (Deemed to be) University, Visakhapatnam-530045, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Teneligliptin and Metformin are antidiabetic drugs. Teneligliptin is a novel oral DPP-4 inhibitor classified as peptidomimetic and approved in Japan in September 2012 for the management of Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Type 2 diabetes mellitus is a chronic progressive disease and involves multiple systems. Metformin is biguanide derivative which decreases hepatic glucose production as well as intestinal absorption of glucose and improves insulin sensitivity by increasing peripheral glucose uptake and utilization. Teneligliptin has been systematically evaluated in as monotherapy with diet and exercise and in combination with metformin, glimepiride, pioglitazone, and insulin in short-term (12 weeks) and long-term (52 weeks) studies. In the present study three new spectrophotometric methods such as Dual wavelength method (Method A), Graphical absorbance ratio method (Method B) and First derivative (Method C) method were proposed for the simultaneous determination of Teneligliptin and Metformin tablets using hydrochloric acid. Linearity was observed 1-30 µg/ml and 1-80 µg/ml in both Method A and Method B and 1-30 µg/ml and 1-100 µg/ml in Method C for Metformin and Teneligliptin respectively. The methods were validated as per ICH guidelines and applied for the simultaneous determination of Teneligliptin and Metformin tablets.
Cite this article:
Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna, Raghu Raj Naik, Sistla Mounica Pratyusha. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of compounds: Application to an anti-diabetic formulation of Teneligliptin and Metformin. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4): 1936-1940. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00349.2
1. Maruthur NM, Tseng E, Hutfless S, Wilson LM, Suarez-Cuervo C, Berger Z, Chu Y, Iyoha E, Segal JB and Bolen S. Diabetes medications as monotherapy or Metformin-based combination therapy for Type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Annals of Internal Medicine 2016; 164(11): 740-751.
2. Surendra Kumar S, Panneerselvam A, Singh KP, Girish Parmar, Pradeep Gadge and Onkar CS. Teneligliptin in management of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 2016; 9: 251-260.Manish P, Harsha DJ, Suleman SK, Narmin AP and Shamim SK. A review on chemistry and pharmacological activity of Metformin hydrochloride and Teneligliptin hydrobromide hydrate in combined dosage form. Pharma Tutor 2017; 5(3): 24-30.
3. Hardi Joshi, Avani khristi. Absorbance ratio method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of Teneligliptin hydrobromide hydrate (TENE) and Metformin hydrochloride (MET) in tablet dosage form. Int. Res. J. Pharm. 2018; 9(1): 47-55.
4. Viral Patel A, Chintan Pandya, Adeeti Pandya, Jasmin Kumbhani, Dharamesh Patel, Zalak Pate. Concurrent determination of Teneligliptin hydrobromide hydrate and Metformin hydrochloride development and validation by UV-VIS spectrophotometry in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Technical Innovation in Modern Engineering & Science. 2019; 5(3): 2455-2585.
5. Shivlal, Surati Jasmina, Patel Vandana B. Development and validation of dual wavelength UV spectrophotometric method for estimation of Teneligliptin Hydrobromide hydrate and Metformin Hydrochloride in combined dosage form. Pharma Science Monitor. 2018; 9(2): 301-306.
6. Ashim Kumar Sen, Denish Hinsu N, Dhanya Sen B, Aarti Zanwar S, Rajesh Maheshwari A, Vikas Chandrakar R. Analytical method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of Teneligliptin hydrobromide hydrate and Metformin hydrochloride from it’s pharmaceutical dosage form by three different UV spectrophotometric methods. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2016; 6(09): 157-165.
7. Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna, Sistla Mounica Pratyusha and Raghu Raj Naik. New validated spectrophotometric methods for the combined dosage form of Teneligliptin and Metformin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2020, 13(1), 270-274
8. Patel JS, Shah DA. Estimation of Metformin hydrochloride and Teneligliptin in pharmaceutical formulation by high performance thin layer chromatography HPTLC. Indian Drugs. 2018; 55(10): 34-39.
9. Shah PA, Shrivastav PS, Vanol PG, Sanyal M. Mechanistic study for the simultaneous determination of Metformin and Teneligliptin in human plasma using hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography-MS/MS. Bioanalysis. 2018; 10(7): 475-488.
10. Mandal P, Dan S, Ghosh B, Barma S, Bose R and Pal TK. Simultaneous Determination and Quantitation of Metformin and Teneligliptin in human plasma by LC-ESI-MS/MS with an application to pharmacokinetic studies. Indian Drugs. 2018; 55(04): 27-38.
11. Neeraja T, Sridevi P, Vinutha K and Bhagavan Raju M. A stability indicating UPLC method for simultaneous determination of Teneligliptin hydrobromide hydrate and Metformin hydrochloride in bulk and tablet dosage form. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2018; 9(8): 3297-3306.
12. Maruthi R, Chandan RS and Prachi Raikar. Simultaneous estimation and analytical method development, validation for the Teneligliptin and Metformin by RP-UFLC. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2019; 10(4): 1811-1819.
13. Mrunal Chaitanya S, Mathrusri Annapurna M. Simultaneous. determination of Metformin and Teneligliptin by liquid chromatography in tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics 2018; 12(2): 736-739.
14. Manish Patil D, Mayank Bapna, Priyanka Shah, Suleman Khoja S. Development and validation of analytical method for simultaneous estimation of Metformin hydrochloride and Teneligliptin hydrobromide hydrate in pharmaceutical dosage form. J Pharm Sci Bioscientific Res. 2017; 7(2): 200-208.
15. Swetha A, Ramya Kuber B. A novel stability-indicating reverse phase liquid chromatographic method for the simultaneous estimation of Metformin and Teneligliptin in pure and pharmaceutical formulations. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics 2018; 10(5): 274-280.
16. Anwar Rafique Shaikh, Bakhshi Abdul Rahman Khalil Ahmed and Mohammad Ibrahim. A validated stability indicating RP – HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Metformin and Teneligliptin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2017; 9(4): 1705-1712.
17. Gopal Irache S, Nitin Bhajipale S, Lokesh Gandhi R. RP-HPLC method development and validation of Teneligliptin and Metformin in pharmaceutical dosage forms. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 2017; 8(8): 52-55.
18. Ramesh Dhani, Haribaskar V,Priyanka J. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of Metformin and Teneligliptin in pharmaceutical formulation. International Journal of Current Trends in Pharmaceutical Research 2018; 6(3): 60-65.
19. Gandla Kumaraswamy, Parashuram M, Pranay K, Sudheer Kumar K. Development of a novel stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Metformin hydrochloride and Teneligliptin hydrobromide and in bulk and combined tablet dosage forms. Innovat International Journal of Medical & Pharmaceutical Sciences 2017; 2(1): 39-42.
20. Anjani Mahesh Sharma, Vandana Jain and Vidhya Raghunath Prabhu. Stability-indicating RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of Teneligliptin hydrobromide hydrate and Metformin hydrochloride in a combined tablet dosage form. European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2018; 5(5): 453-462.
21. Vinutha Kommineni, Chowdary KPR and Prasad SVUM. Development of a new stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Metformin hydrochloride and Teneligliptin hydrobromide and its validation as per ICH guidelines Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 4(05): 1-11.
22. Deepak Patil, Sufiyan Ahmad, Shastry VM, Tabrej Mujawar, Lalit Thakare. Analytical method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of Metformin and Teneligliptin by RPHPLC in bulk and tablet dosage forms. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2017; 11(6): 676-681.
23. ICH Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology, Q2 (R1), International Conference on Harmonization, 2005.