In the present investigation, effort has been made to stabilize optimized nanosuspension of flurbiprofen through oral thin film formulation. To overcome the issue of stability of nanosuspension and poor bioavailability of flurbiprofen, nanosuspension loaded oral thin films were developed by solvent casting method. Oral thin films can be prepared by simple and scalable method easily. Nanosuspension loaded oral thin films were evaluated for thickness, % moisture absorption and loss, surface pH, weight variation, folding endurance, drug content, disintegration time, in vitro drug release and stability. The resultant oral thin films depicted that the particles size range was retained even after their stability study for three months. The dissolution rate of all flurbiprofen oral thin films were significantly increased compared with its marketed oral formulation. Thus it can be concluded that, oral thin films have potential for stabilization of nanosuspension with improved drug release.
Cite this article:
Pankaj A. Jadhav, Adhikrao V. Yadav. Polymeric Nanosuspension Loaded Oral Thin Films of Flurbiprofen: Design, Development and In Vitro Evaluation. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4): 1905-1910. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00343.1
1. Suresh S, Ahuja BK, Jena SK, Paidi SK, Bagri S. Formulation, Optimization and In Vitro–In Vivo Evaluation of Febuxostat Nanosuspension. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2015; 478: 540–552.
2. Verma S, Gokhale R, Burgess DJ. A Comparative Study of Top-down and Bottom-up Approaches for the Preparation of Micro/nanosuspensions. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2009; 380: 216–222.
3. Sievens-Figueroa L, Bhakay A, Jerez-Rozo JI, Pandya N, Romanach RJ, Michniak-Kohn B, et al. Preparation and Characterization of Hydroxypropyl Methyl Cellulose Films Containing Stable BCS class II Drug Nanoparticles for Pharmaceutical Applications. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2012; 423: 496–508.
4. Kumar MP, Rao YM, Apte S. Formulation of nanosuspensions of albendazole for oral administration. Current Nanoscience. 2008; 4: 53-58.
5. Susarla R, Sievens-Figueroa L, Bhakay A, Shen Y, Jerez-Roz, JI Engen, et al. Fast Drying of Biocompatible Polymer Films Loaded with Poorly Water-soluble Drug Nano-particles via Low Temperature Forced Convection. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2013: 455: 93–103.
6. Lai F, Franceschini I, Corrias F, Sala MC, Cilurzo F, Sinico C, et al. Maltodextrin Fast Dissolving Films for Quercetin Nanocrystal Delivery: A feasibility study. Carbohydrate Polymer. 2015; 121: 217–223.
7. Fuhrmann K, Fuhrmann G. Recent Advances in Oral Delivery of Macromolecular Drugs and Benefits of Polymer Conjugation. Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science. 2017; 31, 67–74.
8. Zhang X, Guan J, Ni R, Li LC, Mao S. Preparation and Solidification of Redispersible Nanosuspensions. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 103: 2166–2176.
9. Xie Y, Hong C, Dang Y, Lin G, Yao Y, Li G, et al. Effects of Stabilizing Agents on the Development of Myricetin Nanosuspension and its Characterization: An In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2014; 477, 251–260.
10. Kearney PM, Baigent C, Godwin J, Halls H, Emberson JR, Patrono C. Do Selective Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibitors and Traditional Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs Increase the Risk of Atherothrombosis? Meta-analysis of Randomised Trials. British Medical Journal. 2006; 332: 1302-1305.
11. Shen B, Shen C, Yuan X. Development and Characterization of an Orodispersible Film Containing Drug Nanoparticles. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2013; 85: 1348-1356.
12. Steiner D, Finke JH, Kwade A. Efficient Production of Nanoparticle-loaded Orodispersible Films by Process Integration in a Stirred Media Mill. Int J Pharm 2016; 511:804-813.
13. Reddy PS, Murthy KVR, Formulation and Evaluation of Oral Fast Dissolving Films of Poorly Soluble Drug Ezetimibe Using Transcutol Hp, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, 2018, 52 (3), 398-407.
14. Kilor V, Sapkal N, Daud A, Humne S, Gupta T, Development of stable nanosuspension loaded oral films of glimepride with improved bioavailability, International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2017; 9(2): 28-33.
15. Singh CK, Tiwari V, Shankar R, Mishra CP, Jain S, Jaiswal S, et al. A Short Review on Oral Fast Dissolving Film Containing Cefpodoxime Proxetil Nanoparticle. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 5(1): 1549-1577.
16. Mansoori S, Patel MK, Chatterjee DP, Formulation and Characterization of Oral Thin Film Containing Domperidone HCl. Panacea Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 6(1): 121-144.
17. Kevadiya BD, Barvaliya M, Zhang L, Anovadiya A, Brahmbhatt H, Paul P. Fenofibrate Nanocrystals Embedded in Oral Strip-Films for Bioavailability Enhancement. Bioengineering. 2018; 5: 1-17.
18. Sri KV, Rohini P, Reddy GK. Montelukast Sodium Oral Thin Films: Formulation and In Vitro evaluation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2012; 5(4): 266-270.
19. Lakshmi PK, Sreekanth J, Sridharan A. Formulation Development of Fast Releasing Oral Thin Films of Levocetrizine Dihydrochloride with Eudragit® Epo and Optimization through Taguchi Orthogonal Experimental Design. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2011; 5: 84-92.
20. Date AA, Patravale VB. Current Strategies for Engineering Drug Nanoparticles. Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science. 2004; 9: 222–235.
21. Lu Y, Tang N, Qi JP, Wu W. Phase Solubility Behavior of Hydrophilic Polymer/Cyclodextrin/Lansoprazole Ternary System Studied at High Polymer Concentration and by Response Surface Methodology. Pharmaceutical Development and Technology. 2012; 17: 236–241.
22. Shegokar R, Muller RH. Nanocrystals: Industrially Feasible Multifunctional Formulation Technology for Poorly Soluble Actives. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2010; 399: 129–139.
23. Srinivas A, Bhikshapathi DVRN. Fast Dissolving Oral Films of Pramipexole HCl Monohydrate: Preparation and In Vitro Evaluation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(3): 1001–1008.
24. Khushboo M, Naik K, Menezes A, Naha A, Koteshwara KB, Pai KG, et al. Formulation and Evaluation of Irbesartan nanosuspension for Dissolution Enhancement. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(9): 3043–3048.
25. Nawale RB, Deokate UA, Shahi SR, Lokhande PM. Formulation and Characterization of Efavirenz Nanosuspension by QbD approach. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(9): 2960–2972.