Aim: To evaluate the effect of delayed tooth brushing with different concentrations of carbamide peroxide on enamel surface roughness. Materials and Methods: Ninety extracted human permanent premolars were disinfected and the roots were cut at the cemento-enamel junction into 2mm thick enamel slabs measuring 6x4mm were prepared from the middle third of buccal and lingual aspects with the use of double sided diamond discs. One hundred eighty enamel slabs were prepared from ninety permanent extracted human premolars. These one hundred eighty enamel slabs were divided into 3 groups (n=60) based on 3 percentages of carbamide peroxide-15%, 25%, 35%. Every group was again divided into 3 subgroups (n=20)-A, B, C. The subgroup A served as control, subgroup B and subgroup C was based on the time interval of tooth brushing. The initial surface roughness was evaluated using stylus profilometer. For 21days the procedures involving bleaching, brushing and rinsing were continued in all the groups. Once again at the end of 21days, the surface roughness values for the specimens were measured. Results: Before the study was initiated the means of surface roughness in all the groups were evaluated. The non-parametric Kruskal Wallis test showed significant differences between the groups. The results that the differences in the means of the surface roughness values before and after intervention showed significant differences between the groups under study (p<0.001). The Mann Whitney U test revealed significant differences in the means of surface roughness values of immediately brushed group and the other groups. Group 1 showed least surface roughness were as Group 3 showed increased surface roughness. Conclusion: Among the different concentrations of bleaching agents available today it is always better and safer to use bleaching agents with lower concentrations. Also. delaying the oral hygiene procedures after bleaching should always be considered to help us in achieving better results.
Cite this article:
Arjun Hegde, Preethesh Shetty, Raksha Bhat. Effect of delaying Toothbrushing on Enamel surface Roughness during bleaching with different Concentrations of Carbamide peroxide: An In vitro study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4): 1871-1875. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00337.6
1. T. Attin, A.M. Kielbassa, M. Schwanenberg and E. Hellwig. Effect of Fluoride Treatment on Remineralization of Bleached Enamel. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 1997; 24:282-286.
2. Worschech CC, Rodrigues JA, Martins LRM, Ambrosano GMB. Brushing Effect of Abrasive Dentrifices During At-Home Bleaching with 10% Carbamide Peroxide on Enamel Surface Roughness. J Contempt Dent Pract 2006; 7(1):025-034.
3. Hiba Farooq, Syeda Humal Bukhari, Munaza Riaz. Prevalence of Erosive Tooth Sensitivity in Patients with GERD. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(3): 799-801.
4. M.R. Anulekha, Prasanna Neelakantan. Minimum Intervention Dentistry-An Overview. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 710: 1169-1174.
5. Rakhi Menon. A Review on Various Reasons for Teeth Discolouration. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7(7): 815-820.
6. S. Shreya, Vishnu Priya. A study on the Effect of Aerated Drinks on Enamel Surface of the Tooth. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2015; 8(8):1137-1143.
7. B. John Rozar Raj, Pradeep. Remineralising Agents in Dentistry. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2016; 9(10):1734-1736.
8. Amina Mehrin Bano, G. Kaarthikeyan. The Knowledge and the Extent of Execution of Oral Hygiene in Undergraduate Dental Students. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(6): 711-715 .
9. J. Lakshmi Prabha, Manish Ranjan. Effect of Total Etch on Enamel. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(6):2631-2633.
10. ADA Council of Scientific Affairs. Tooth Whitening/Bleaching: Treatment Considerations For Dentists And Their Patients. September 2009.
11. Watts A, Addy M. Tooth Discolouration And Staining: Review Of The Literature. Br Dent J 2001; 190:309-315.
12. Andrew Joiner. The Bleaching of Teeth: A Review of The Literature. Journal Of Dentistry 2006; 3(4): 412 – 419
13. Ralph H. Leotiard, Anita Shartna, A’an B. Use of Different Concentrations of Carbamide Peroxide for Bleaching Teeth: An In Vitro Study. Quintessence Int 1998; 29:503-507
14. J.E. Dahl U. Pallesen Tooth Bleaching—A Critical Review of The Biological Aspects. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 2003; 14(4):292-304
15. Kottke TE, Battista RN, Defriese Gh, Brekke Ml: Attributes of Successful Smoking Cessation Interventions In Medical Practice. A Meta-Analysis Of 39 Controlled Trials. JAMA 1988, 259(19):2883-9.
16. Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health Care Settings --- CDC Guideline 2003.
17. Rafael Francisco Lia Mondelli, Juliana Felipi David E Góes De Azevedo, Ana Carolina Francisconi, Cristiane Machado De Almeida, Sérgio Kiyoshi Ishikiriama. Comparative Clinical Study of The Effectiveness Of Different Dental Bleaching Methods - Two Year Follow-Up. J Appl Oral Sci. 2012;20(4):435-43.
18. Mohammed Q. Alqahtani. Tooth-Bleaching Procedures and Their Controversial Effects: A Literature Review. The Saudi Dental Journal 2014,26:33-46.
19. Mhd N Alkhatib, Ruth D Holt and Raman Bedi Smoking and Tooth Discolouration: Findings from A National Cross-Sectional Study. BMC Public Health 2005, 5:27
20. Andrew Joiner. The Bleaching of Teeth: A Review of The Literature. Journal of Dentistry 2006;3(4): 412 – 419
21. M Cadenaro, L Breschi, C Nucci F, Antoniolli, E Visintini, C Prati, Bamatis, R Di Lenarda. Effect of Two In-Office Whitening Agents On The Enamel Surface In Vivo: A Morphological And Non-Contact Profilometric Study. Operative Dentistry 2008,33(2):127-134.
22. M.S. Mccracken And V. B. Haywood. Demineralization Effect of 10% Carbamide Peroxide. Journal of Dentistry 1996;24(6):395-398.
23. Sahar Ahmed Mohamed Abd El Halim. Effect of Three Bleaching Agent on Surface Roughness of Enamel (In-Vivo Study). Dentistry 2012;2:133.
24. Powell, L.V., Bales, D.J. Tooth Bleaching: Its Effect on Oral Tissues. J. Am. Dent. Assoc 1991;122:50-54.
25. Pearson, H.H. Bleaching of The Discolored Pulpless Tooth. J. Am. Dent. Assoc 1958; 56: 64-68.
26. Y. Lit and L. Greenwell. Safety Issues of Tooth Whitening Using Peroxide-Based Materials. British Dental Journal 2013,215(1):29-34.
27. Taher, N.M. The Effect of Bleaching Agents on The Surface Hardness of Tooth Colored Restorative Materials. J. Contemp. Dent Pract 2005; 6:18-26.
28. Friedman S: Internal Bleaching: Long-Term Outcomes and Complications, J Am Dent Assoc 1997; 128: 26-30.
29. Faunce F: Management of Discolored Teeth. Dent Clin North Am 1978; 27: 657-670.
30. Divya. S1, Sujatha. S. An Insight on the Success of Various Pulpotomy Medicaments in Pediatric Dentistry–A Review of Literature. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(6): 2647-2655.
31. Karishma Ravinthar, Jayalakshmi. Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(2):785-787.