Rangisetty Spandana Yasaswini, Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna, Sistla Mounica Pratyusha
Rangisetty Spandana Yasaswini, Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna*, Sistla Mounica Pratyusha
Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, GITAM Institute of Pharmacy, GITAM (Deemed to be) University, Visakhapatnam-530045, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Tipiracil and Trifluridine are anticancer drugs used for third or fourth-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer. Trifluridine is an active antiviral drug used as ophthalmic solutions for the treatment of primary keratoconjunctivitis and recurrent epithelial keratitis due to herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2. It’s antiviral action is produced by incorporating in to viral DNA during replication, that results in defective proteins formation and increased mutation rate. Tipiracil is approved for the treatment of unresectable advanced or recurrent colorectal cancer in the form of combination drug trifluridine and tipiracil. Tipiracil is a thymidine phosphorylase inhibitor that inhibits degradation of trifluridine, thus increasing systemic exposure to trifluridine. In the present study three new spectrophotometric methods such as Dual wavelength method (Method A), Graphical absorbance ratio method (Method B) and First derivative method (Method C) were proposed for the simultaneous determination of Tipiracil and Trifluridine and phosphate buffer (pH 7.0). Linearity was observed over the concentration range1-80 µg/ml in all the three methods for borate buffer pH 9.0; phosphate buffer pH 7.0 and both the methods were validated as per ICH guidelines. These methods can be successfully applied for the simultaneous determination of Tipiracil and Trifluridine in tablets.
Cite this article:
Rangisetty Spandana Yasaswini, Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna, Sistla Mounica Pratyusha. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of Tipiracil and Trifluridine. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4): 1847-1852. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00333.9
Rangisetty Spandana Yasaswini, Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna, Sistla Mounica Pratyusha. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of Tipiracil and Trifluridine. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4): 1847-1852. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00333.9 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-4-43
1. De Clercq. Antiviral drugs in current clinical use. Journal of Clinical Virology 2004; 30(2):115-133.
2. Pavan Langston D, Nelson DJ. Intraocular penetration of trifluridine. American Journal of Ophthalmology 1979; 87(6); 814-818.
3. Nozawa C, Hattori LY, Galhardi LC. Herpes simplex virus: isolation, cytopathological characterization and antiviral sensitivity. The Journal Brazilian Annals of Dermatology 2014; 89(1): 448-452.
4. Beckman, A. O.; Gallaway, W. S.; Kaye, W.; Ulrich, W. F. History of spectrophotometry at Beckman Instruments, Inc. Analytical Chemistry 1977; 49(3): 280A-300A.
5. B B Hazra N.M. Vageesh, C.Kistayya , M Shahanaz. Analytical method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of Trifluridine and Tipiracil in pure and pharmaceutical dosage form. Innovat International Journal of Medical & Pharmaceutical Sciences 2018; 3(1): 55-58.
6. Phani R.S. Ch, K.R.S. Prasad, Useni Reddy Mallu. New Bio Analytical Method Development and Validation for the Simultaneous Estimation of Trifluridine and Tipiracil in spiked human plasma. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(12): 4264-4268.
7. Swaroop Kumar Sahu, Ganesh Akula. Development and Validation of a RP-HPLC-PDA Method for Simultaneous Determination of Trifluridine and Tipiracil in Pure and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. International Journal of Novel Trends in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 7(5): 145-151.
8. Mainaaz, S.H. Rizwan, Khatija Mohammed Bhameshan, Arshiya Sultana. Analytical method development and validation for the simultaneous determination of Tipiracil and Trifluridine in bulk and capsule dosage form by RP-HPLC method. International Journal of Innovative Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2017; 5(09): 32-42.
9. Swapna.Goday, S.K.Abdulrahaman & A.Prameelarani. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of combination drugs Trifluridine and Tipiracil in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. International Journal of Research in Applied, Natural and Social Sciences. 2017; 5(2): 93-104.
10. Prathap. B, V. Hari Baskar, B. Kumar, P.S.Raghu, S. Bharath Kumar Reddy. Method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of Trifluridine and Tipiracil in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC method. Global Trends Pharm Sci 2017; 8(4): 4514 - 4521.
11. Kusuma Jogi, Mandava Basaveswara Rao and Rundraraju Ramesh Raju. AN effective and sensitive stability indicating chromatographic approach based on RP-HPLC for Trifluridine and Tipiracil in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. International Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Chemistry 2017; 7(1): 63-70.
12. ICH validation of analytical procedures: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1), International Conference on Harmonization. 2005.