Uttam Prasad Panigrahy, K. Naga Vishnu Kumari, T. Ram Mohan Reddy, K. Abbulu
Uttam Prasad Panigrahy*, K. Naga Vishnu Kumari, T. Ram Mohan Reddy, K. Abbulu
Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance, CMR College of Pharmacy, Kandlakoya, Medchal, Hyderabad-501401, Telangana, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
A new isocratic RP-HPLC method was developed and validated for simultaneous estimation of Prazosin and Polythiazide in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form with stability studies as per ICH guidelines. In this method Symmetry C18 column (150mm×4.6mm, 5?m particle size), Waters Alliance e2695 HPLC system with PDA detector and the mobile phase contained a mixture of 0.01M Potassium dihydrogen orthophosphate buffer (pH adjusted to 3.48 with orthophosphoric acid) and Acetonitrile (50:50, v/v) was used. The flow rate was set to 1mL/min with the responses measured at 265nm. The retention time of Prazosin and Polythiazide was found to be 2.989min and 2.134min respectively with resolution of 5.1. Linearity was established for Prazosin is 25-150µg/mL and for Polythiazide is 6.25-37.5µg/mL with correlation coefficients (r2=0.999). The percentage recoveries for Prazosin are 100.34% and Polythiazide is 100.32% respectively. Prazosin and Polythiazide are more sensitive towards acidic, basic and oxidative degradation condition. The developed method was successfully applied for the quantification of Prazosin and Polythiazide in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form.
Cite this article:
Uttam Prasad Panigrahy, K. Naga Vishnu Kumari, T. Ram Mohan Reddy, K. Abbulu. RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Prazosin and Polythiazide in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4):1779-1787. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00321.2
1. Reid JL. Alpha-adrenergic receptors and blood pressure control. Am J Cardiol. 1986; 57(9):6E-12E.
2. O'Brien ET, MacKinnon J. "Propranolol and polythiazide in treatment of hypertension". British Heart Journal.1972; 34 (10): 1042–1044.
3. William JB. High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Determination of Diuretic-Antihypertensive Combination Products. I. Prazosin and Polythiazide. Journal of Liquid Chromatography. 1986; 9(5):1033-1049.
4. Shrivastava A, Gupta VB. Stability-Indicating RP-HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Prazosin, Terazosin, and Doxazosin in Pharmaceutical Formulations. Sci Pharm. 2012; 80(3): 619–631.
5. Tenjarla SN, Tseggai A. High-performance liquid chromatographic assay of prazosin for transdermal screening studies. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics.1992; 17(1): 37–42.
6. Shrivastava A, Gupta VB. Simultaneous determination of two alpha¬one adrenoreceptor blockers Terazosin and Prazosin using Tamsulosin as internal standard. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2012; 4(3):752-756.
7. Moskalyk RE, Locock RA, Chatten LG, Veltman AM, Monique FB. Determination of polythiazide in pharmaceutical dosage forms by high‐pressure liquid chromatography. 1975; 64(8):1406-1408.
8. Bakshi M, Ojha T, Singh S. Validated specific HPLC methods for determination of prazosin, terazosin and doxazosin in the presence of degradation products formed under ICH-recommended stress conditions. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2004; 34(1):19-26.
9. Sultana N, Saeed MA, Shah SN. Liquid Chromatographic Analysis of Prazosin in API, Dosage Form and Serum: Application to Drug-Metal Interaction Studies. J Chromatograph Separat Techniq. 2013; 4(7):1-5.
10. Bakshi M, Ojha T, Singh S. Validated specific HPLC methods for determination of prazosin, terazosin and doxazosin in the presence of degradation products formed under ICH-recommended stress conditions. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2004; 34(1):19-26.
11. Ramolia C, Dedania Z, Dedania R, Sheth NR, Vidya sagar G, Patel B, Bhatt KK. Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin Hydrochloride, Rosiglitazone Maleate and Glimepiride in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms by RP-HPLC Method. Asian J. Research Chem.2010; 3(1): 83-86.
12. Patil S, Ramesh B, Hareesh AR, Patil K, Dhokane A. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for the Estimation of Sitagliptin Phosphate in Tablet Dosage Form. Asian J. Research Chem. 2010; 3(3): 653-655.
13. Maste MM, Parate AN, Bhat AR. Validation and Application of a High-Performance Liquid Chromatography Method for Estimation of Sitagliptin Phosphate from Bulk Drug and Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian J. Research Chem.2011; 4(9):1466-1468.
14. Dighe NS, Shinde GS, Vikhe JJ. Simultaneous Estimation, Validation and Force Degradation Study of Metformin Hydrochloride and Empagliflozin by RP-HPLC Method. Research J. Science and Tech. 2019; 11(2):135-147.
15. Baokar SB, Mulgund SV, Ranpise NS. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Vildagliptin and Metformin. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2013; 5(2): 95-98.
16. Kalyankar TM, Kakde RB. Reversed-Phase Liquid Chromatographic Method for Simultaneous Determination of Metformin and Repaglinide in Pharmaceutical Preparations. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2011; 3(5): 233-237.
17. More SS, Sonawane SS, Chhajed SS, Kshirsagar SJ. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Saxagliptin and Dapagliflozin in Tablets. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2018; 8(3):145-148.
18. Panigrahy UP, Reddy ASK. A novel validated RP-HPLC-DAD method for the estimation of Eluxadoline in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(11):1469-1476.
19. Lobhe GA, Shah A, Singhvi I. Development and Validation of a Stability-Indicating RP-HPLC Method for the Determination of Sitagliptin Phosphate and Simvastatin in the Presence of their Degradation Products in Bulk and Binary Mixture. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2016; 6(3): 191-197.
20. Panigrahy UP, Panda SP, Sudhakar M. Colorimetric Analysis of Raltegravir in Pharmaceutical Formulation and Human Biological Fluids through Oxidative Coupling Reaction using 3-Methyl-2-Benzothiazolinone Hydrazone Reagent. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(5):1788-1793.
21. Mahmure U, Sungur S. A Spectrophotometric Method for the Determination of Prazosin Hydrochloride in Tablets. Turk J Chem. 2002; 26: 691 – 696.
22. Nikam P, Baokar S, Undare S, Patil RN. Spectrophotometric Method Development and Validation of Prazosin. Research J. Science and Tech.2016; 8(1): 1-4.
23. Biljana P, Miroslava I, Gordana T, Bogdan B. Simultaneous determination of polythiazide and prazosin in tablets by second-order derivative UV spectroscopy. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 1991; 70 (1–2): 187-190.
24. Jie L, Bi-kui Z, Ben-mei C, Huan-de L. HPLC-MS determination of prazosin in the human plasma and its bioequivalence. Chinese Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2006; 26(5): 621-624.
25. Ning MA, Wen-ying L, Huan-de L, Ben-mei C, Bi-kui Z. HPLC-MS/ESI determination of terazosin hydrochloride, prazosin hydrochloride and doxazosin mesyllate in human plasma. Chinese Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2007; 27(10):1548-1552.
26. Shabir GA. Validation of high-performance liquid chromatography methods for pharmaceutical analysis. Understanding the differences and similarities between validation requirements of the US food and drug administration, the US Pharmacopeia and the International Conference on Harmonization. J Chromatogr A. 2003; 987: 57-66.