I Lakshmi Prasanna, G. T. Naidu, Nuzhath Fathima, G. Abdul Huq
I Lakshmi Prasanna, G. T. Naidu, Nuzhath Fathima, G. Abdul Huq
1Department of Physics, Vignana Bharathi Institute of Technology, Hyderabad.
2Department of Physics, Rayalaseema University, Kurnool.
3Department of Sciences & Humanities, Al-Habeeb college of Engineering & Technology, Hyderabad.
4Department of Chemistry, School of Sciences, Maulana Azad National Urdu University, Hyderabad.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
A simple, precise, versatile and a new spectrophotometric method is proposed for the estimation of microgram quantities of the drug Clopidogrel in the presence of Aspirin. It is also known as Clopin-A, The drug forms an Ion – pair complex with Bromo Cresol Green (BCG), the stoichiometry of which is established as 1:1 by Job's continuous variation method. The wavelength of the maximum absorbance of the Ion – pair complex is found to be 440nm. The absorbance values of the Ion – pair complex increased linearly with the increase in the amount of the drug Clopidogrel in the presence of Aspirin. This suggests the suitability of the method for the determination of the drug in the range 10µg/ml to 250µg/ml. This also indicates the verification of the Beer-Lambert’s Law in this range. This method is successfully employed to evaluate the assay of commercial tablets in pharmaceutical formulations for Clopidogrel in the presence of Aspirin and the results agreed very well. The molar absorptivity and Sandell Sensitivity of the method are found to be 1.860×104 lit/mole/cm and 0.0225 µg/ml/cm2 respectively.
Cite this article:
I Lakshmi Prasanna, G. T. Naidu, Nuzhath Fathima, G. Abdul Huq. A New Spectrophotometric Method for the Micro Determination of Clopin-A with Bromo Cresol Green and its Application to Evaluate the Assay of the Drug. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4):1725-1729. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00311.X
1. Chinmaya Keshari Sahoo, K. Satyanarayana, et al, Formulation and Evaluation of Controlled Release tablets of Aspirin P: Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2017, Vol 7(4):229-233
2. Umapathi P, Parimoo P, et al, Spectrometric estimation of Aspirin and Dipyridamole in pure admixture and in dosage forms. Analysis Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical 1997, 15: 1703-1708.
3. Saurabh Chaturvedi, Rakesh Saini, et al, Synthesis and Evaluation of Pyrrole Derivative Conjugates of Aspirin as Anti-Platelet Agents, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 2010, Vol 3(1):22-25.
4. R.K. Nanda, S.E. Potawale, et al, Simultaneous Estimation of Aspirin and Atorvastatin Calcium in Capsule Dosage Form by Spectrophotometric Method, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 2010: Vol 3(4):1041-1043.
5. Choudhari V.P. et al, Development and Validation of Ratio Spectra Derivative Spectrophotometric Method for Determination of Ternary Mixture of Aspirin, Atenolol and Amlodipine Besylate in Formulation, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 2010: Vol 3(3): 562-565.
6. R.K. Nanda, S.E. Potawale, et al, Development and Validation of a HPLC method for Simultaneous Analysis of Aspirin and Atorvastatin Calcium as the Bulk Drugs and in the capsule Dosage Form, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 2010: Vol 3(4):961-964.
7. Jane J, Jasminkumar M.V. et al, Estimation of Clopidogrel in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 2010: Vol 3(4):1086-1089.
8. S. D. Wiviott, E. Braunwald, C. H. McCabe et al., “Prasugrel versus Clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, 2007, Vol. 357, No. 20, pp. 2001–2015,
9. Koradia V, Bansal AK. Quantitative and qualitative analysis of Clopidogrel bisulphate polymorphs. Acta Pharma. 2004; 54:193–5.
10. Mishra P, Dolly A. Spectrophotometric methods for determination of Clopidogrel in tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2006; 68: 491–2.
11. Mitkos A, Panderi I A Validation LC method for the determination of Clopidogrel in pharmaceutical preparation. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 2002, 28: 431-438.
12. Kample N S, Venkatachalan A Estimation of Clopidogrel from tablet dosage form by gas chromatography method, Indian J Pharm Sci 2005, 67: 128-129.
13. Agrawal H, Kaul N, et al.., Stability indicating HPTLC determination of Clopidogrel bisulphate as bulk drug and in pharmaceutical dosage form. Talanta 2005, 61: 581-589.
14. Gomes Y, Adams E, Analysis of purity in 19 drug product tablets containing Clopidogrel: 18 copies versus the original brand. J Pharma Biomed Anal 2004, 34: 341-348.
15. Taubert D, Kastrati A, et al., Pharmacokinetics of Clopidogrel after administration of a high loading dose. Thromb Haemost, 2004, 92: 311-316.
16. Fayed AS, Weshahy SA, et al., Separation and determination of Clopidogrel and its impurities by capillary electrophoresis. J Pharma Biomed Anal 2009, 49: 193-200.
17. Karazniewicz M, Glowka F, et al, Capillary zone electrophoresis method for determination of Clopidogrel carboxylic acid metabolite in human plasma and urine designed for biopharmaceutical studies. J Chromatography B 2010, 878: 1013-1018.
18. Reist M, Roy-de Vos M, Montseny, et al. Very slow chiral inversion of Clopidogrel in rats: a pharmaceutical and mechanistic investigation. Drug Metab Dispos, 2000, 28: 1405-1410.
19. Pankaj Savani, Vineet Jain, et al, A Review: Determination of Clopidogrel Bisulphate in Biological Fluid and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology, 2016, Vol 8(1):66-70.
20. B. Anupama, V. Jagathi et al, Determination of Clopidogrel Bisulphate in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms by RP- HPLC, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry,2011: Vol 4(2):254-256.
21. Devika G.S. M. Sudhakar, et al, A New Simple RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Asprin, Atorvastatin and Clopidogrel in Capsule Dosage Form, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 2011: Vol 4(5):795-799.
22. Sunil Singh, Nitin Dubey, et al, Simultaneous Estimation of Atorvastatin, Clopidogrel and Aspirin in Capsule Dosage forms using UV-Spectroscopy, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 2010: Vol 3(4):885-887.
23. Maheswari R. K., Chandrawanshi H. K., et al, Quantitative estimation of aspirin in tablets and bulk sample using metformin hydrochloride as hydrotropic agent, International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2010, Vol. 2, Issue 1, 20-23.