Nazira Sarkis, Saad Antakli, Rita Keshishian
Nazira Sarkis*1, Saad Antakli2, Rita Keshishian1
1Department of Analytical and Food Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Aleppo University, Syria.
2Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Aleppo University, Syria.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2020
An accurate, precise, sensitive and direct extraction-free simple spectrophotometric method has been developed and applied to determine Pitavastatin calcium (PTV) in raw material and tablets preparations. This Spectrophotometric method is based on the formation of yellow colored ion-pair complex in chloroform by Bromocresol Green (BCG). The complex has maximum absorptivity at 416 nm. The variable factors affecting the reaction such as solvents, time, and temperature and reagent concentration were studied and optimized to achieve the best results. Beer's law is obeyed over concentration ranges (2 – 24) µg/mL. Regression analysis showed a good correlation coefficient R2 = 0.9994. The limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantification (LOQ) were to be 0.19µg/mL and 0.59µg/mL respectively and the molar absorptivity coefficient 61706 L/mole/cm. The average percent recovery was calculated and it was in range 98.59-101.97% for Pitavastatin calcium. All studied samples showed that the drug levels were confirmed due to Japanese pharmacopeia legislation.
Cite this article:
Nazira Sarkis, Saad Antakli, Rita Keshishian. Development of Simple Spectrophotometric method to Determinate Pitavastatin Calcium in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Preparations. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12):6206-6211. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.01082.3
Nazira Sarkis, Saad Antakli, Rita Keshishian. Development of Simple Spectrophotometric method to Determinate Pitavastatin Calcium in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Preparations. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12):6206-6211. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.01082.3 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-12-97
1. Japanese Pharmacopoeia 17th Edition,2016, 1424-1425.
2. Kajinami K, Takekoshi N, Saito Y. Pitavastatin: Efficacy and Safety Profiles of a Novel Synthetic HMG CoA Reductase Inhibitor. Cardiovascular. Drug Reviews. 21(3): 2003; 199-215.
3. Fazio S. The Role of Statin Therapy in Primary Hyperlipidemia and Mixed Dyslipidemia. US Endocrinology. 7(1):2011; 23-32.
4. Vamsikrishna M, Sankar D. G. Adaptation of Color Reactions for Spectrophotometric Determination of Pitavastatin Calcium in Bulk Drugs and in Pharmaceutical Formulations. 4(2): 2007; 272-278.
5. Virupaxappa B. S, Shivaprasad K. H, Latha M. S. Novel Spectrophotometric Method for The Assay of Pitavastatin Calcium in Pharmaceutical Formulations. Der Chemica Sinica. 2(4):2011;1-5.
6. Ergin G, Aglar S, Onal A, Toker E. Spectrophotometric Determination of 3-Hydroxy-3-Methylglutaryl Coenzyme-A Reductase Inhibitors in Pharmaceutical Preparations. Turkish Journal of Chemistry.37: 2013;171-181.
7. Tuljarani G, Chethana G, Rasheeda, Archana CH. Application of Visible Spectrophotometric for Estimation of Pitvastatin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulation. International Journal of Current Research in Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences.2(5): 2015; 56-62.
8. Niranjani S, Venkatachalam K. Spectrophotometric Determination of Atorvastatin Calcium and Pitavastatin Calcium Through Ion-Pair Complex Formation Using Acid Dyes in Pharmaceutical Formulations and Human Urine Samples. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 11(6): 2019; 171-180.
9. Niranjani S, Venkatachalam K. Simple Titrimetric, Spectrophotometric and Gravimetric Methods for the Assay of Pitavastatin Calcium in a Green Manner. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research.11(5): 2019; 1766-1774.
10. El-Bagary R, ElKady E. F, Kadry A. M. Spectrofluorometric Determination of Certain Antihyperlipidemic Agents in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Preparations. Spectroscopy: An International Journal. 27(2): 2012; 83-92.
11. Aglawe K. V, Kharat U. P, Dongaonkar C. C, Chavan V. A. Development and Validation of Stability Indicating UV Spectrophotometric Method for The Determination of Pitavastatin Calcium. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 5(7): 2016; 1773-1787.
12. Satheesh N.K, Baghyalakshmi J. Determination and Quantification of Pitavastatin Calcium in Tablet Dosage Formulation by HPTLC Method, Analytical Letters. 40: 2007; 2625-2632.
13. Hiral J.P, Bhanubhai N.S, Natvarlal J.P, Bhavesh H.P. A Simple and Sensitive HPTLC method for estimation of Pitavastatin Calcium in Tablet Dosage Form, J. Planar Chrom.21: 2008; 267-270.
14. Panchal H. J, Suhagia B. N, Patel M.M, Patel B.H..Estimation of Pitavastatin Calcium in Tablet Dosage Forms by Liquid Chromatography and Ultraviolet Spectrophotometry, AOAC Int. 92(1): 2009; 158-164.
15. Gomas A. R, Ram P.R, Srinivas N, Sriramulu J. Degradation Pathway for Pitavastatin Calcium by Validated Stability Indicating UPLC Method. American Journal of Analytical Chemistry.2: 2010; 83-90.
16. Satheesh N.K, Narayanan N, Jayabalan N, Narayanan S, Bagyalakshmi J. HPLC Determination of Pitavastatin Calcium in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms, Pharmaceutica Analytica Acta. 2(2): 2011; 1-4.
17. Janagiraman S, Raju T, Giribabu K. Simple Titrimetric Analysis for Determination of Pitavastatin Calcium in Bulk and Formulation Dosage. International Journal of Modern Chemistry, 2014:6(1); 18-27
18. Janagiraman S, Raju T, Giribabu K, Narayanan V. Electrochemical Determination of Pitavastatin Calcium as Bulk Drug by Voltammetry Techniques. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science and Engineering. 2014.
19. Pandit U.J, Naikoo G.A, Sheikh M.U, Khan G.A, Raj K.K. Electrochemical Determination of an Anti-Hyperlipidimic Drug Pitavastatin at Electrochemical Sensor Based on Electrochemically Pre-Treated Polymer Film Modified GCE. Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 7(4): 2017; 258-264.
20. Sakur A. A, Obaydo R. Sensitive Spectrophotometric Methods for Determination of Zolmitriptan in Bulk Form and in Tablets Via Complex Formation with Two Sulphonphtalein Acid Dyes. International Journal of academic and Scientific Research. 3(4); 2015:106- 114.
21. Ramadan A. A, Mandil H, Alsayed-ali R. Spectrophotometric Determination of Rosuvastatin in Pure Form and Pharmaceutical Formulations through Ion-Pair Complex Formation Using Bromocresol Green. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 7(11):2015; 191-198.
22. Sakur A. A, Affas S. Direct Spectrophotometric Determination of Sildenafil Citrate in Pharmaceutical Preparations Via Complex Formation with Two Sulphonphthalein Acid Dyes. Research journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 10(4): 2017;1191-1196.
23. Mandil H, Sakur AA, Allaban AA. Development and Validation Spectrophotometric Method for The Determination of Lansoprazol in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulation through Ion- Pair Complex Formation Using Bromocresol Green. Research journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 10(5): 2017; 1417-1425.
24. ICH Q2(R1). Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology. International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use. 2005.