The aim of the current study was designed to evaluate the analgesic effect of Berberine and Asiatic acid alone, and in combination for their synergistic effect in animal models. The mice were used in the study, divided into seven groups with six animals in each group. The analgesic activity of Asiatic acid and Berberine alone, and in combination were evaluated by the acetic acid-induced writhing response, hot plate reaction time and heat conduction in mice. The mice treated with the standard drug (tramadol hydrochloride), test drug (Berberine and Asiatic acid) and in combinations drugs at different concentration demonstrated significantly analgesic activity. The present study showed that a combination of Berberine and Asiatic acid showed higher analgesic activity compared to the individual drug. The findings of the study suggested that the combination of Berberine and Asiatic acid exhibited synergistic analgesic activity.
Cite this article:
Deepshikha Verma, Pradeep Kumar Samal. Evaluation of Synergistic Analgesic Activity of Berberine and Asiatic Acid in Mice. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12):6081-6085. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.01060.4
Deepshikha Verma, Pradeep Kumar Samal. Evaluation of Synergistic Analgesic Activity of Berberine and Asiatic Acid in Mice. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12):6081-6085. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.01060.4 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-12-75
1. Ezeja MI, Omeh YS, Ezeigbo II, Ekechukwu A. Evaluation of the Analgesic Activity of the Methanolic Stem Bark Extract of Dialium guineense (Wild). Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2011; 1(1): 55–62.
2. Raquibul SM, Hossain MM, Aktar R, Jamila M, Mazumder MEH, Alam MA. Analgesic Activity of the Different Fractions of the Aerial Parts of Commenila benghalensis Linn. International Journal of Pharmacology. 2010; 6(1): 63–67.
3. Mate GS, Naikwade NS, Chowki CSA, Patil SB. Evaluation of Anti-nociceptive Activity of Cissus quadrangularis on Albino Mice. Int J Green Pharm. 2008; 2: 118–121.
4. Fan SH, Ali NA, Basri DF. Evaluation of Analgesic Activity of the Methanol Extract from the Galls of Quercus infectoria (Olivier) in Rats. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2014; 2014: 1-6.
5. Hewitt DJ, Hargreaves RJ, Curtis SP, Michelson D. Challenges in analgesic drug development. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2009; 86(4): 447–450.
6. Junwei L, Sharma A, Zhang T, Wu Y, Ding X. Pharmacological Review on Asiatic Acid and Its Derivatives: A Potential Compound. SLAS Technology. 2018; 23(2): 111–127
7. Nagoor Meeran MF, Goyal SN, Suchal K, Sharma C, Patil CR, Ojha SK. Pharmacological Properties, Molecular Mechanisms, and Pharmaceutical Development of Asiatic Acid: A Pentacyclic Triterpenoid of Therapeutic Promise. Front. Pharmacol. 2018; 9: 1-35.
8. Wang P, Long TF, Wang LP, Song J. Synergistic Effect of Asiatic Acid and Madecassic Acid against Antioxidant Deficit in Rat Peripheral Nervous System. International Journal of Pharmacology. 2019; 15: 837-843.
9. Jin Y1, Khadka DB1, Cho WJ. Pharmacological effects of berberine and its derivatives: a patent update. Expert Opin Ther Pat. 2016;26(2):229-43.
10. Neag MA, Mocan A, Echeverría J, Pop RM, Bocsan CI, Cri San G, Buzoianu AD. Berberine: Botanical Occurrence, Traditional Uses, Extraction Methods, and Relevance in Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Hepatic, and Renal Disorders. Front. Pharmacol. 2018; 9: 1-30.
11. Jin Y, Khadka DB, Cho WJ. Pharmacological effects of berberine and its derivatives: a patent update. Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents. 2016; 26(2): 229-243.
12. HG Akkamma, BS Vikram, T Srinivas Rao, D Baggiya Selvi. Synthesis and Screening of Biphenyl ether derivatives for their Anti-inflammatory and Analgesic activity. Asian J. Research Chem. 2010; 3(2): 308-311.
13. Pratap Y. Pawar, Manisha P. Chavan. Synthesis and Pharmacological Evaluation of 1, 3-Isoindolinedione Derivatives as Analgesic and Antiinflammatory Agents. Asian J. Research Chem. 2012; 5(1): 127-130.
14. Sukhen Som, Jayaveera K.N. Study of Synthesis and Analgesic Activity of some Benzopyrone Derivatives. Asian J. Research Chem. 2015; 8(3): 195-200.
15. Sudharshan SJ, Chinmaya A, Valleesha NC, Prashith Kekuda TR, Rajeshwara AN, Syed Murthuza. Central Nervous System Depressant and Analgesic Activity of Methanolic Extract of Drypetes roxburghii Wall in Experimental Animal Model. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2009; 2 (4): 854-857.
16. SG Killedar, HN More. Analgesic and Anti-Inflammatory Studies of Memecylon umbellatum Burm Roots in Experimental Animals. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2009; 2 (4): 858-861.
17. Karthikeyan M, Deepa Karthikeyan. The Analgesic Effect of Leucas aspera (Wild) Link Extract in Experimental Mice. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(1): 95-98.
18. Manpreet Kaur, Harinder Kaur. Analgesic Effects of Fruits of Silybum marianum L. Gaertn. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(1): 92-94.
19. KK Sivakumar, A Rajasekaran, I Ponnilavarasan, A Somasundaram, R Sivasakthi, Kamalaveni. Antiulcer and Analgesic Activity of the Ethanol Extract of Cleome gynandra Linn Leaves. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(3): 766-769.
20. Patel Jitendra, Qureshi Md Shamim, Kumar GS, Panigrahy Uttam Prasad. Phytochemical and Pharmacological activities of Eupatorium odoratum L. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4(2): 184-188.