Ifana Anugraheni, Sri Andarini, Dian Handayani, Titin Andri Wihastuti
Ifana Anugraheni1, Sri Andarini2, Dian Handayani3, Titin Andri Wihastuti4*
1Medical Sciences Doctoral Program, Faculty of Medicine, University of Brawijaya Malang.
2Departement of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Brawijaya Malang.
3School of Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, University of Brawijaya Malang.
4School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, University of Brawijaya.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2020
Obesity is defined as a condition of excessive fat accumulation in adipose tissue. Adipose hypertrophy stimulates the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and recruitment and polarization of M1 macrophages. To maintain homeostasis, there is an increase IL-33 expression and a decrease ST2s in obesity. IL-33 expression correlates with leptin expression in adipose tissue. Black yeast beta glucan decreases the pro-inflammatory modulator and increases anti-inflammatory factors, as well as decreases adipose macrophage tissue infiltration levels. This study aims to prove the effect of black yeast beta glucans on IL-33, ST2 and leptin levels. This research design is true experimental with post test only group design. The experimental animals used were male Sprague Dawley strain rats. Rats were divided into 5 (five) groups (normal feed, high fat feed and 3 high fat feed groups with black yeast beta glucan doses of 0.135grams, 0.270grams and 0.540grams). Elisa method is used to analyze IL-33, ST2 and Leptin levels. Statistical analysis used two way ANOVA and continued with the least significant difference test (LSD). There was an increase in IL-33 and leptin levels, and a decrease in ST2 levels. There was no difference in the effect of black yeast beta glucans on IL-33, ST2 and leptin levels. However, with further statistical tests, there is a difference in the effect of black yeast beta glucan on IL-33 and Leptin levels at a dose of 0.270grams. The conclusion of this study is black yeast beta glucan can increase IL-33 and leptin levels at a dose of 0.270grams.
Cite this article:
Ifana Anugraheni, Sri Andarini, Dian Handayani, Titin Andri Wihastuti. Black yeast beta glucan for insulin Resistance Prevention through IL-33, ST2 and Leptin Level: An In vivo Study of an Obesity model using Sprague dawley Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12):6077-6080. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.01059.8
1. Castro AVB, Kolka CM, Kim SP, Bergman RN. Obesidade, Resistência à insulina e comorbidades - mecanismos de associação. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2014;58(6):600-609. doi:10.1590/0004-2730000003223
2. WHO. Obesity. http://www.who.int/topics/obesity/en/. Published 2017. Accessed December 11, 2017.
3. Helble M and KF. The Upcoming Obesity Crisis in Asia and the Pacific: First Cost Estimates.; 2017. https://www.adb.org/sites/ default/files/publication/231516/adbi-wp679.pdf.
4. P. Shanmugasundaram, T. N. Uma Maheshwari, Praveen. D AH. A Comprehensive Review on natural ways to Lose Weight. Res J Pharm Tech. 2017;10(11):4030-4032.
5. Fatehi, Daryoush; Moayeri, Ardeshir ; Rostamzadeh, Omid ; Rostamzadeh, Ayoob ; Kebria MM. Reactive Oxygenated Species (ROS) in Male Fertility; Source, Interaction Mechanism and Antioxidant Therapy. Res J Pharm Tech. 2018;11(2):791-796.
6. Vaishali M. Antioxidants in Health and Diseases. Res J Pharm Tech. 2014;7(4):489-493.
7. Daharwal PKSAKSSJ. Role of free radicals in ocular diseases: An overview. Res J Pharm Technol. 2014;7(11):1330-1334.
8. Safa W. Azize. Study of Heavy Metals and their effects on Oxidant/Antioxidant Status in Workers of fuel Station in Hilla city-Iraq. Res J Pharm. 2018;11(1):312-316.
9. Kale MK; Bhusari KP; Umathe SN. Relationship between the Dynamics of Oxidative Stress and Thyroid State. Res J Pharm Tech. 2008;1(1):14-17.
10. Miller AM, Asquith DL, Hueber AJ, et al. Interleukin-33 induces protective effects in adipose tissue inflammation during obesity in mice. Circ Res. 2010;107(5):650-658. doi:10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.110.218867
11. Ye J. Mechanisms of insulin resistance in obesity. Front Med China. 2013;7(1):14-24. doi:10.1007/s11684-013-0262-6
12. Zeyda M, Wernly B, Demyanets S, et al. Severe obesity increases adipose tissue expression of interleukin-33 and its receptor ST2, both predominantly detectable in endothelial cells of human adipose tissue. Int J Obes. 2013;37(5):658-665. doi:10.1038/ijo.2012.118
13. Goh J, Goh KP, Abbasi A. Exercise and adipose tissue macrophages: New Frontiers in obesity research? Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2016;7(June):1-8. doi:10.3389/fendo.2016.00065
14. Heriansyah T, Nurwidyaningtyas W, Sargowo D, Tjahjono CT, Wihastuti TA. Polysaccharide peptide (PSP) ganoderma lucidum: A potential inducer for vascular repair in type 2 diabetes mellitus model. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2019; 15:419-427. doi:10.2147/VHRM.S205996
15. Mohan M. The Role of Leptin on Obesity: A Review. Res J Pharm Tech. 2014;7(12):1501-1505.
16. Hamed Mohsen, Haddad Shaden, AL Quobili Faiza HT. Correlation of serum leptin levels with insulin resistance in Syrian obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Res J Pharm Tech. 2013;6(10):1149-1151.
17. Monalisa R. Role of Leptin in obesity. Res J Pharm Tech. 2015;8(8):1073-1076.
18. Doaa Mahdi Omran, Saad Merza Alaraji, Ali Hussein Albayati WE. Relationship between Ghrelin and Leptin with Insulin Resistance in Obese Patients and Non-Obese Individuals. Res J Pharm Tech. 2018;11(1):281-283.
19. Kofuji K, Aoki A, Tsubaki K, Konishi M, Isobe T, Murata Y. Antioxidant Activity of β -Glucan. ISRN Pharm. 2012; 2012:1-5. doi:10.5402/2012/125864
20. Muramatsu D, Iwai A, Aoki S, et al. Β-Glucan Derived from Aureobasidium Pullulans Is Effective for the Prevention of Influenza in Mice. PLoS One. 2012;7(7):1-9. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0041399
21. LI W, ZHANG Y, CONG F. Effects of black yeast-derived β-1,3-1,6-glucan on serum cytokine and microRNA expression in transplanted sarcoma in mice. Biomed Reports. 2013;1(1):139-143. doi:10.3892/br.2012.30
22. Cao Y, Sun Y, Zou S, Duan B, Sun M, Xu X. Yeast β-Glucan Suppresses the Chronic Inflammation and Improves the Microenvironment in Adipose Tissues of ob/ob Mice. J Agric Food Chem. 2018;66(3):621-629. doi:10.1021/acs.jafc.7b04921
23. Hasan A, Kochumon S, Al-Ozairi E, Tuomilehto J, Ahmad R. Association between adipose tissue interleukin-33 and immunometabolic markers in individuals with varying degrees of glycemia. Dis Markers. 2019;2019. doi:10.1155/2019/7901062