Yani Kresnawati, Rurie Ratna Shantiningsih, Ronny Martien
Yani Kresnawati1,3, Rurie Ratna Shantiningsih2, Ronny Martien1*
1Departement of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta 55281, Indonesia.
2Department of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, Faculty of Dentistry, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta 55281, Indonesia.
3Yayasan Pharmasi College of Pharmacy, Semarang 50193, Indonesia.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2020
Beta carotene in the form of patch gingival can reduce the number of micronucleus in rabbit gingival mucosa due to X-ray radiation. Beta carotene has water soluble properties and low bioavailability. One strategy to overcome this is to formulate it in the form of nanoemulsion. Optimization of beta carotene nanoemulsion formula with the composition of soybean oil, tween 80, PEG 400 is done by the D-Optimal method using Design Expert 10 software with response to drug loading, emulsification time, transmittance value. The optimum beta carotene nanoemulsion then is characterized in the form of zeta potential, droplet size, polydispersity index. The optimum formula of beta carotene nanoemulsion was obtained from a composition of 10% soybean oil, tween 80 79.06%, and PEG 400 10.94% with a drug loading value of 2.81±0.04mg, emulsification time of 51.33±3.21 seconds , percent of clarity 94.06 ± 0.06%, droplet size of 11.36±1.03nm, polydispersity index of 0.665±0.04, and potential zeta of -12.1 ± 1.04 mV. D-optimal could be proved as suitable method for determining the optimum conditions that was capable of produced drug loading response, emulsification time, percent clarity of beta carotene nanoemulsion.
Cite this article:
Yani Kresnawati, Rurie Ratna Shantiningsih, Ronny Martien. Optimization of Soybean Oil, Tween 80, PEG 400 in Formulation of Beta Carotene Nanoemulsion. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12):5692-5698. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00991.9
1. Ribeiro DA, de Oliveira G, de Castro G and Angelieri F. Cytogenetic Biomonitoring in Patients Exposed to Dental X-rays: Comparison Between Adults and Children. Dento Maxillo Facial Radiology. 2008; 37: 404–407.
2. Shantiningsih RR, Suwaldi, Mudjosemedi M and Astuti I. Formulasi Sediaan Patch Gingiva Mukoadesif Betacaroten untuk Radioprotektor Radiografi Panoramik. In: Proceedings Gadjah Mada Dentistry Scientific Conference The Comprehensive Approach For Excellent Dental Practice In Universal Health Coverage Era. Yogyakarta: Gadjah Mada; 2015; 6: 4–9.
3. Shantiningsih, RR and Diba SF. Efek Aplikasi Patch Gingiva Mukoadesif β-Carotene Akibat Paparan Radiografi Panoramik. Majalah Kedokteran Gigi Indonesia. 2015; 1: 186–192.
4. Jo YJ and Kwon YJ. Characterization of β-carotene nanoemulsions prepared by microfluidization technique. Food Science and Biotechnology. 2015; 23: 107–113.
5. Mishra VVBK, Bhanja SB, and Panigrahi BB. Development and Evaluation of Nanoemulsion Gel for Transdermal Delivery of Valdecoxib. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12: 600–610.
6. Lee MR, Chatterjee S, and Woo SH. Preparation of Micro- and Nano-emulsions of Soybean oil and Removal of Sorbed Phenanthrene from Sandys Oil. Desalination and Water Treatment. 2013; 51: 3207–3214.
7. Khedekar K and Mittal S. Self Emulsifying Drug Delivery System : A Review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2013; 4: 4494–4507.
8. Eid AM, El-Enshasy HA, Aziz R, and Elmarzugi NA. The preparation and evaluation of self-nanoemulsifying systems containing Swietenia oil and an examination of its anti Inflammatory Effects. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2014; 9: 4685–4695.
9. Obitte NC, Ofokansi KC, Nzekwe IT, Esimone CO, and Okoye IE. Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery Systems Based on Melon Oil and its Admixture with a Homolipid from Bos indicus for the Delivery of Indomethacin. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2011; 10: 299-307.
10. Ruan J, Liu J, Zhu D, Gong T, Yang F, Hao X, et.al. Preparation and Evaluation of Self-Nanoemulsified Drug Delivery Systems (SNEDDSs) of Matrine Based on Drug–Phospholipid Complex Technique. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2009; 386: 282–90.
11. Dubey A, Prabhu P, and Kamath. Nano Structured Lipid Carriers : A Novel Topical Drug Delivery System. International Journal of PharmTech Research. 2011; 4: 705–714.
12. Prasetyo BE, Karsono, Maruhawa SM, and Laila L. Formulation and Physical Evaluation of Castor Oil based Nanoemulsion for Diclofenac Sodium Delivery System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11: 3861–3865.
13. Ernoviya E, Masfria M, and Ramlan Sinaga K. Optimization And Evaluation Of Topical Ketoconazole Nanoemulsion. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2018; 11: 143-148.
14. Ujhelyi Z, Vecsernyés M, Fehér P, Kósa D, Arany P, Nemes D, et.al. Physico-Chemical Characterization Of Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems. Drug Discovery Today: Technologies Physicochemical Characterisation in Drug Discovery. 2018; 27: 81–86.
15. Zhao L, Wei Y, Huang Y, He B, Zhou Y, and Fu J. Nanoemulsion Improves The Oral Bioavailability of Baicalin in Rats: in Vitro And in Vivo Evaluation. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2013; 8: 3769–3779.