A novel series of substituted 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivative were synthesized by condensing different amine with 2-(5-thioxo-4,5-dihydro-1,3,4-oxadiazol-2-yl) phenyl acetate (III) in presence of formaldehyde. The structure of these novel synthesized compounds was characterized on the bases of physicochemical, spectral and elemental analysis. All newly synthesized compounds were tested in vivo for their anti-inflammatory activity by carrageenan induced rat paw oedema model. The compounds, which showed good anti-inflammatory activity further screened for their analgesic, antipyretic and ulcerogenic activity. Results of acute anti-inflammatory studies showed compounds IVa, IVb, IVd and IVe showed promising activity and in analgesic studies compound IVa, and IVb showed better activity as compared to standard drug aspirin. Compound IVa showed good antipyretic activity and less ulcerogenic activity as compared to standard drug aspirin.
Cite this article:
Anuj Singhai, M. K. Gupta. Synthesis and Characterization of 1,3,4-Oxadiazole Derivatives as Potential Anti-inflammatory and Analgesic agents. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12):5898-5902. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.01029.X
1. Talley JJ, Bertenshaw SR, Brown DL, Carter JS, Graneto MJ, Kellogg MS, et al. N-[[(5-methyl-3-phenylisoxazol-4-yl)- phenyl]sulfonyl] propanamide, sodium salt, parecoxib sodium: A potent and selective inhibitor of COX-2 for parenteral administration. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2000; 43: 1661-1663.
2. Kalgutkar AS, Marnett AB, Crews BC, Remmel RP, Marnett LJ. Ester and Amide Derivatives of the Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug, Indomethacin, as Selective Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibitors. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.2000; 43(15): 2860-2870.
3. Boschelli DH, Connor DT, Bornemeier DA, Dyer RD, Kennedy JA, Kuipers PJ, Okonkwo GC, Schrier DJ, Wright CD. 1,3,4-Oxadiazole, 1,3,4-thiadiazole, and 1,2,4-triazole analogs of the fenamates: in vitro inhibition of cyclooxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase activities. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 1993; 36(13): 1802-1810.
4. Unangst PC, Connor DT, Cetenko WA, Sorenson RJ, Kostlan CR, Sircar JC, Wright CD, Schrier DJ, Dyer RD. Synthesis and biological evaluation of 5-[[3,5-bis(1,1-dimethylethyl)-4-hydroxyphenyl] methylene] oxazoles, -thiazoles, and -imidazoles: novel dual 5-lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase inhibitors with anti-inflammatory activity. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 1994; 37(2): 322-328.
5. Unangst PC, Shrum GP, Connor DT, Dyer RD, Schrier DJ. Novel 1,2,4-oxadiazoles and 1,2,4-thiadiazoles as dual 5-lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase inhibitors. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 1992; 35(20): 3691-3698.
6. Mullican MD, Wilson MW, Connor DT, Kostlan CR, Schrier DJ, Dyer RD. Design of 5-(3,5-di-tert-butyl-4-hydroxyphenyl)-1,3,4-thiadiazoles, -1,3,4-oxadiazoles, and -1,2,4-triazoles as orally-active, nonulcerogenic anti-inflammatory agents. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 1993; 36(8): 1090-1099.
7. Nargund LVG, Reddy GRN, Hariprasad VJ. Anti-inflammatory Activity of Substituted 1,3,4-Oxadiazoles. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1994; 83: 246- 248.
8. Mohammad A, Oberoi A, Shah A. Synthesis and antiinflammatory activity of some new 6-methoxy- -methyl-2- naphthalene acetic acid derivatives. Indian Journal of Chemistry. 1999; 38B: 237-239.
9. Tozkoparan B, Gokhan N, Aktay G, Yesilada E, Ertan M. 6-Benzylidenethiazolo[3,2-b]-1,2,4-triazole-5(6H)-onessubstituted with ibuprofen: synthesis, characterization and evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2000; 25: 743-750.
10. Palkar MB, Singhai AS, Ronad PM, Vishwanathswamy AHM, Boreddy TS, Veeresh P. Veerapur VP, Shaikh MS, Rane RA, Karpoormath R. Synthesis, pharmacological screening and in silico studies of new class of Diclofenac analogues as a promising anti-inflammatory agents. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry. 2014; 22: 2855- 2866.
11. Furniss B, Hannaford AH, Smith PW, Tachell AR. Vogel’s Text book of Practical Organic Chemistry, London Prentice Hall, 1998; 5th ed: pp 1077.
12. Winter CA, Risley EA, Nuss GW. Carrageenin-induced edema in hind paw of the rat as an assay for anti-inflammatory drugs. Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. 1962; 111: 544-547.
13. Koster R, Anderson M, Debeer E. Acetic acid for analgesic screening. Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology. 1959; 18: 412.
14. Loux JJ, Palma PD, Yanksell SL. Antipyretic testing of aspirin in rats. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 1972; 22: 672-676.
15. Alich AA, Welsh VJ, Wittmers LE. Comparison of Aspirin and Copper Aspirinate with Respect to Gastric Mucosal Damage in the Rat. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1983; 72: 1457-1461.