N. R. Adawiyah N. Zulkifeli, Haniza Hanim Mohd Zain, Ismail Zainol, Nur Hidayat Che Musa
N. R. Adawiyah N. Zulkifeli, Haniza Hanim Mohd Zain*, Ismail Zainol, Nur Hidayat Che Musa
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science and Mathematics, Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris, 35900 Tanjung Malim, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2020
The purpose of this study was to determine the properties of hydrolysed collagen from Orechromis mossambicus’s scales. The properties determination includes pH measurement, macronutrient evaluation, and molecular weight determination. Meanwhile, the effect of hydrolysed collagen at various concentrations on the viability of normal skin fibroblast primary cells has also examined. The pH value of this hydrolysed collagen was in the vicinity of 5. The moisture content, ash content, fat content, and protein content showed 3.65%, 0.79%, 0.22% and 63.1%, respectively. The polypeptide profile obtained in the SDS-PAGE analysis was between 17.75 to 23.50 kDa. Besides, 4mg/mL until 10mg/mL of hydrolysed collagen concentrations increased the viability of normal skin fibroblast primary cells.
Cite this article:
N. R. Adawiyah N. Zulkifeli, Haniza Hanim Mohd Zain, Ismail Zainol, Nur Hidayat Che Musa. The properties of Hydrolysed Collagen from Oreochromis mossambicus’s scale and their effect towards Cell viability. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12):5855-5860. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.01020.3
1. Acharya C, Ghosh SK, and Kundu SC. Silk fibroin protein from mulberry and non-mulberry silkworms: Cytotoxicity, biocompatibility and kinetics of L929 murine fibroblast adhesion. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. 2008; 19(8): 2827–2836.
2. Amaral M, Gomes PS, Lopes MA, Santos, JD, Silva RF, and Fernandes MH. Cytotoxicity evaluation of nanocrystalline diamond coatings by fibroblast cell cultures. Acta Biomaterialia. 2009; 5(2): 755–763.
3. Arifin A. 2013. Effect of Electron Beam Irradiation on Molecular Weight of Hydrolysed Collagen. Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris.
4. Bhat R, and Sridhar KR. Nutritional quality evaluation of electron beam irradiated lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) seeds. Food Chemistry. 2008 ; 107(1): 174–184.
5. Chi CF, Cao ZH, Wang B, Hu FY, Li ZR, and Zhang B. Antioxidant and functional properties of collagen hydrolysates from Spanish mackerel skin as influenced by average molecular weight. Molecules. 2014; 19(8): 11211–11230.
6. Christynal OR. Production of ecofriendly silver nanoparticle and evaluation of its potential antimicrobial activity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(10): 1374-1378.
7. Huang CY, Kuo JM, Wu SJ, and Tsai HT. Isolation and characterization of fish scale collagen from tilapia (Oreochromis sp.) by a novel extrusion–hydro-extraction process. Food Chemistry. 2016; 190: 997–1006.
8. Jamilah B, Umi Hartina MR, Mat Hashim D, Sazili AQ. Properties of collagen from barramundi (Lates calcarifer) skin. International Food Research Journal. 2013; 20(2): 835–842.
9. Leena K. Pappachen KS. Sreelakshmi. Phytochemical screening and in vitro cytotoxicity studies of Mussaenda frondosa Linn leaves. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(12): 4227-4230.
10. Liu D, Liang L, Regenstein JM, and Zhou P. Extraction and characterisation of pepsin-solubilised collagen from fins, scales, skins, bones and swim bladders of bighead carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis). Food Chemistry. 2012; 133(4): 1441–1448.
11. Magan N and Lacey J. Ecological determinants of mould growth in stored grain. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 1998; 7(3): 245–256.
12. Matmaroh K, Benjakul S, Prodpran T, Encarnacion AB, and Kishimura H. Characteristics of acid soluble collagen and pepsin soluble collagen from scale of spotted golden goatfish (Parupeneus heptacanthus). Food Chemistry. 2011; 129(3): 1179–1186.
13. Mohd Nazri AR, Shariffah Azzainurfina SK, and Azlan J. Extractions, physicochemical characterizations and sensory quality of chicken feet gelatin. Borneo Science. 2012; (1): 1–13.
14. Mohd Yaqub K, Poonam G, Bipin B, Vineet KS, Irfaan A. A reveiw- miracle of nanotechnology in cosmetics. Asian Journal Pharm Research. 2014; 4(1): 16-23.
15. Muyonga JH, Cole CGB, and Duodu KG. Characterisation of acid soluble collagen from skins of young and adult Nile perch (Lates niloticus). Food Chemistry. 2004; 85(1): 81–89.
16. Nagai N, Yunoki S, Suzuki T, Sakata M, Tajima K, and Munekata M. Application of cross-linked salmon atelocollagen to the scaffold of human periodontal ligament cells. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering. 2004; 97(6): 389–394.
17. Olatunji O, and Denloye A. Temperature - dependent extraction kinetics of hydrolyzed collagen from scales of croaker fish using thermal extraction. Food Science Nutrition. 2017; (5): 1015–1020.
18. Pan BQ, Su WJ, Cao MJ, Cai QF, Weng WY, and Liu GM. IgE reactivity to type I collagen and its subunits from tilapia (Tilapia zillii). Food Chemistry. 2012; 130(1): 127–133.
19. Pandey Rishabh, Singh AV, Pandey Awanish, Tripathi Poonam, SK Majumdar, Nath LK. Protein and peptide drugs: A brief review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2009; 2(2): 228-233.
20. Pati F, Adhikari B, and Dhara S. Isolation and characterization of fish scale collagen of higher thermal stability. Bioresource Technology. 2010; 101(10): 3737–3742.
21. Pati F, Datta P, Adhikari B, Dhara S, and Ghosh K. Collagen scaffolds derived from fresh water fish origin and their biocompatibility. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. 2012; 100(4): 1068–1079.
22. Pei Y, Yang J, Liu P, Xu M, Zhang X, and Zhang L. Fabrication, properties and bioapplications of cellulose/collagen hydrolysate composite films. Carbohydrate Polymers. 2013; 92(2): 1752–1760.
23. Puja K, Shatabdi S, Suneetha V. Production of glue from tannery effluent by physical, chemical and biological methods. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(8):1031-1035.
24. Rahamat U, Devaragattu BV, Naga SK, Chekalta S, Baddanapally SR. In vitro cytotoxicity of L-glutaminase against Hep-G2 cell lines. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(6): 2213-2216.
25. Rajesh AS, Vijay LG. A biosorption of heavy metal ions from effluent using waste fish scale. Asian J. Research Chem. 2018; 11(5): 775-777.
26. Ravi Kumar, Rajarajeshwari N, Narayana Swmay VB. Isolation and characterization of Borassus flabellifer mucilage. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2012; 5(8): 1093-1101.
27. Sajid Ali, Maryam Shabbir, Nabeel Shahid. The structure of skin and transdermal drug delivery system- a review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(2): 103-109.
28. Shahiri Tabarestani H, Maghsoudlou Y, Motamedzadegan A, Sadeghi Mahoonak AR, Rostamzad H. Study on some properties of acid-soluble collagens isolated from fish skin and bones of rainbow trout (Onchorhynchus mykiss). International Food Research Journal. 2012; 19(1): 251–257.
29. Shrivastava HY, Ravikumar T, Shanmugasundaram N, Babu M, and Nair BU. Cytotoxicity studies of chromium ( III ) complexes on human dermal fibroblasts. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2005; 38: 58–69.
30. Sibilla S, Godfrey M, Brewer S, Budh-Raja A, and Genovese L. (2015). An Overview of the Beneficial Effects of Hydrolysed Collagen as a Nutraceutical on Skin Properties: Scientific Background and Clinical Studies. The Open Nutraceuticals Journal. 2015; 8: 29–42.
31. Song E, Yeon Kim S, Chun T, Byun HJ, and Lee YM. Collagen scaffolds derived from a marine source and their biocompatibility. Biomaterials. 2006; 27(15): 2951–2961.
32. Soumya Verma, Vamshi Krishna T. A Review on the polymers for vegetarian soft gel capsule films. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(9): 3217-3222.
33. Wang B, Wang YM, Chi CF, Luo HY, Deng SG, Ma JY. Isolation and characterization of collagen and antioxidant collagen peptides from scales of croceine croacker Pseudosciaenia croceia. Marine Drugs. 2013; 11: 4641–4661.
34. Wang Y, Zhang C, Zhang Q, and Li P. Composite electrospun nanomembranes of fish scale collagen peptides/chito-oligosaccharides : antibacterial properties and potential for wound dressing, 2011; 667–676.
35. Younis AM. 2011. The Effect of Centella Asiatica Extract on Human Periodontal Ligament Fibroblast Cell Line. University of Technology Malaysia.
36. Zhang J, Duan R, Ye C, and Konno K. Isolation And Characterization Of Collagens From Scale Of Silver Carp (Hypophthalmichthys Molitrix). Journal of Food Biochemistry. 2010; 34(6): 1343–1354.
37. Zhang Y, Su B, Venugopal J, Ramakrishna S, and Lim C. Biomimetic and bioactive nano fibrous scaffolds from electrospun composite nano fibers. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2007; 1(9): 623–638.
38. Zhang Z, Li G, and Shi B. Physicochemical properties of collagen, gelatin and collagen hydrolysate derived from bovine limed split wastes. Journal of the Society of Leather Technologists and Chemists. 2006; 90(1): 23–28.