The objective of this work is to determine the plasma concentrations of Moxinidine by liquid chromatography coupled with triple quad mass spectrometer (LC-MS/MS) using internal method. Method development was conducted in such way that sufficient sensitivity achieved and no short term and long term matrix effects effect the method performance. Sensitivity found superior in positive ionization than negative ionization. Sum of multiple daughter ions were used as mass transactions for Moxonidine are 242.05/206.1 and 242.05/199.05 where as single mass transaction was used for Clonidine are 230.1/213.1. Chromatography was optimized using Acetonitrile: Buffer (10mmol Ammonium Acetate) (85:15) on Hypurity C8, 100 x 4.6 mm analytical column. Calibration curve found linear over the range 5.004 to 10345.023 pg/ml using 1/x2 as weighting factor. Method validation was conducted as per international method validation guidelines. The method is successfully applied to analyze 360 clinical study samples collected after administration of 25mg of Moxonidine in a IEC approved two phase clinical study. Incurred sample reanalysis was conducted and found method is reproducible.
Cite this article:
Sambasiva Rao Puram, Nithya G. A Sensitive, Rapid Determination of Moxonidine in Plasma by LC-MS/MS, Application to Bioequivalence Study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12):5773-5776. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.01006.9
1. http://wikipedia\moxonidine, encyclopedia, 2016 [Accessed: 20 Dec 2019).
2. http://EMA, Note for guideline on the investigation of BA/BE, 2000 [Accessed: 20 Dec 2019).
3. http://emc, Moxonidine Specific product characteristics, 2012 [Accessed: 20 Dec 2019).
4. Minxia M. He, Trent. Abraham, Thomas J. Lindsay, Hans C. Schaefer, Isabelle J. Pouliquen, Chris Payne: The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Vol.31, no.3, 2003, 334-342.
5. Stephen D Wise, Clark Chan, Hans G Schaefer, Minxia M He, Isabelle J Pouliquen, Malcolm I Mitchell: Br J Clin Pharmacol, 2002, 54(3), 251–254.
6. Luhua Zhao, Li Ding, Xin Wei: Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 2006, 40(1):95-9.
7. Milovanović S, Otašević B, Zečević M, Zivanović L, Protić A: J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2012, 5(59), 151-6.
8. Rajendra Kakde, Kamlesh Gadpayale, M. Obaid Qureshi: International Journal of PharmTech Research, Vol.4, No.1, 2012, 358-363.
9. http://EMA, Moxonidine, public assessment report, 2009 [Accessed: 20 Dec 2019).
10. CUI, Han-ming, SUN, Hui-min, WANG, Wei, TIAN, Song-jiu: HPLC Determination of Dissolution of Moxonidine Hydrochloride Tablets, Chinese, Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis, Volume 23, Number 4, July 2003 pp. 315-316(2).
11. Milovanović S, Otašević B, Zečević M, Zivanović L, Protić A: Development and validation of reversed phase high performance liquid chromatographic method for determination of moxonidine in the presence of its impurities, J Pharm Biomed Anal, Feb 2012, 59:151-6.
12. Lena Brynne, John L McNay, Hans G Schaefer, Karl Swedberg, Curtis G Wiltse, and Mats O Karlsson: Pharmacodynamic models for the cardiovascular effects of moxonidine in patients with congestive heart failure, Br J Clin Pharmacol, Jan 2001, 51(1): 35–43.
13. Rudolph M, Janssen W, Strassner M: Determination of moxonidine (BDF 5895) in plasma by gas chromatography-negative ion chemical ionization mass spectrometry, J Pharm Biomed Anal, May 1992,10(5):323-8.
14. Chazova I, Almazov VA, Shlyakhto E: Moxonidine improves glycaemic control in mildly hypertensive, overweight patients: a comparison with metformin, Diabetes Obes Metab, Jul 2006, 8(4):456-65.
15. Slavica Filipic, Milica Elek, Marija Popović, Katarina Nikolic, and Danica Agbaba: Development of Hydrophilic Interaction Liquid Chromatography Method for the Analysis of Moxonidine and Its Impurities, Journal of Analytical Methods in Chemistry, Volume 2016 (2016).