Helicobacter pylori are implicated in the pathogenesis of several human gastric diseases and lead to significant morbidity and mortality worldwide. This study aimed to estimate serum levels of vitamin B12 in Iraqi individuals infected with H. pylori and comparing them with healthy individuals. This case–control study was performed between January and June 2019 on eighty-four participants (41 female and 43 male) distributed evenly into patients and control groups. Serum vitamin B12 was measured and complete blood count was performed. The results revealed that patients group had decreased levels of hemoglobin, hematocrit, mean corpuscular volume, mean corpuscular hemoglobin, and mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration, red blood cell, white blood cells and platelet compared to healthy individuals. Moreover vitamin B12 level of patients (females and males) was significantly lower than that of control group (396.2±101.3 vs. 706±269pg/ml) for females and (253±100 vs. 629±151 pg/ml) for males. Vitamin B12 might be used as a valuable indicator for anemic patients having gastritis since it is strongly correlated to Hb, HCT, MCV, MCH, MCHC and PLT level in infected patients.
Cite this article:
Namir I. A. Haddad, Nadia A. Abdulrahman. Correlation of Vitamin B12 deficiency with H. pylori infection and other Biochemical parameters in Iraqi patients. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5451-5454. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00951.8
1. Mansour KB, Fendri C, Battikh H, Garnier M, Zribi M, Jlizi A, Burucoa C. Multiple and mixed Helicobacter pylori infections: comparison of two epidemiological situations in Tunisia and France. Infection, Genetics and Evolution. 2016 1; 37:43-8.
2. Burkitt MD, Duckworth CA, Williams JM, Pritchard DM. Helicobacter pylori-induced gastric pathology: insights from in vivo and ex vivo models. Disease models and mechanisms. 2017; 10(2):89-104.
3. Khatoon J, Rai RP, Prasad KN. Role of Helicobacter pylori in gastric cancer: Updates. World journal of gastrointestinal oncology. 2016; 8(2):147.
4. Rangaswamy P, Rubby SA. A clinical study of prevalence of helicobacter pylori in patients with gastritis. International Surgery Journal. 2016; 3(4):1979-82.
5. AL-Ezzy AI. Evaluation of Clinicopathological and Risk Factors for Nonmalignant H. Pylori Associated Gastroduodenal Disorders in Iraqi Patients. OA Maced J Med Sci. 2015; 3 (4): 645-654.
6. Amini N, Movahedi M, Abolfathi AA, Majd A. The Effects of L-Arginine on Oxidative and Nitrosative Stress and Inflammation Factors in Patients Infected with Helicobacter pylori. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal. 2018; 20(6).
7. Al-Obeidy ES, Saeed BN. Helicobacter pylori infection in Iraq patients with ischemic heart disease. Fac Med Baghdad. 2011; 53:29-31.
8. Vareki SM, Zarkesh-Esfahani H, Behjati M. Helicobacter pylori's evasion of the immune system could establish an inflammatory environment that potentially induces the development of coronary artery disease. Jundishapur Journal of Microbiology. 2013; 6(3):242.
9. Mwafy SN, Afana WM. Hematological parameters, serum iron and vitamin B12 levels in hospitalized Palestinian adult patients infected with Helicobacter pylori: a case–control study. Hematology, Transfusion and Cell Therapy. 2018; 40(2):160-5.
10. Kadhim G, Maidin MS, Omar H, Ismail A. Identification of Vitamin B12 Deficiency in Helicobacter pylori Infected Patients. Journal of Bioengineering and Biomedical Sciences. 2015; 5(3):1.
11. Tamura A, Fujioka T, Nasu M. Relation of Helicobacter pylori infection to plasma vitamin B12, folic acid, and homocysteine levels in patients who underwent diagnostic coronary arteriography. The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2002; 97(4):861-6.
12. Kaptan K, Beyan C, Ural AU, Cetin T, Avcu F, Gülşen M, Finci R, Yalçín A. Helicobacter pylori—is it a novel causative agent in vitamin B12 deficiency?. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2000; 160(9):1349-53.
13. Sarari AS, Farraj MA, Hamoudi W, Essawi TA. Helicobacter pylori, a causative agent of vitamin B12 deficiency. The Journal of Infection in Developing Countries. 2008; 2(05):346-9.
14. Ravi K, Joseph J, Thomas DM. Helicobacter pylori infection and vitamin B-12 deficiency-A cross sectional study. Asian Journal of Medical Sciences. 2017; 8(4):16-20.
15. Akçam M. Helicobacter pylori and micronutrients. Indian Pediatrics. 2010; 47(2):119-26.
16. Devrajani BR, Zaman SM, Shah SZ, Devrajani T, Lohana RK, Das T. Helicobacter pylori: a cause of vitamin B12 deficiency (a hospital based multidisciplinary study). World Applied Sciences Journal. 2011; 12(9):1378-81.
17. Gumurdulu Y, Serin E, Ozer B, Kayaselcuk F, Kul K, Pata C, Guclu M, Gur G, Boyacioglu S. Predictors of vitamin B~ 1~ 2 deficiency: Age and helicobacter pylori load of antral mucosa. Turkish Journal of Gastroenterology. 2003; (1):44-9.
18. Martínez‐Macías FJ, Bobadilla‐Morales L, González‐Cruz J, Quiles‐Corona M, Corona‐Rivera A, Peña‐Padilla C, Orozco‐Vela M, Silva‐Cruz R, Velarde‐Rivera F, Corona‐Rivera JR. Descriptive study of the complete blood count in newborn infants with Down syndrome. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A. 2017; 173(4):897-904.
19. Kibru D, Gelaw B, Alemu A, Addis Z. Helicobacter pylori infection and its association with anemia among adult dyspeptic patients attending Butajira Hospital, Ethiopia. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2014; 14(1):656.
20. Mwafy SN, Afana WM. Hematological parameters, serum iron and vitamin B12 levels in hospitalized Palestinian adult patients infected with Helicobacter pylori: a case–control study. Hematology, Transfusion and Cell Therapy. 2018; 40(2):160-5.
21. Ciacci C, Sabbatini F, Cavallaro R, Castiglione F, Di Bella S, Iovino P, Palumbo A, Tortora R, Amoruso D, Mazzacca G. Helicobacter pylori impairs iron absorption in infected individuals. Digestive and Liver Disease. 2004; 36(7):455-60.
22. Annibale B, Capurso G, Martino G, Grossi C, Delle Fave G. Iron deficiency anaemia and Helicobacter pylori infection. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. 2000; 16(4):515-9.