To investigate the anticancer effect of methanolic leaf and elicitor treated callus extracts of Baliospermum montanum against Hep-2 and PC-3 cells. Different doses (320µg/ml to 10µg/ml) of extracts were treated and viability of cells was measured by MTT assay. The cell cycle arrest were analyzed by flow cytometry. Apoptosis was evaluated using annexin V apoptosis detection kit and AO/EB staining. The methanolic extract of elicitor treated callus showed dose dependent inhibition against Hep-2 and PC-3 cells compared to leaf extract. The flow cytometry analysis showed that leaf extract induced apoptosis and arrest the cell cycle in the G0/G1 phase against Hep-2 cells. Whereas in PC-3 cells, methanolic extracts of leaf and treated callus showed significant results by arresting the cells in S and G2/M phase. Our study suggest that the methanolic extracts of treated callus showed potential anticancer activity through cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in Hep-2 and PC-3 cells.
Cite this article:
Sushma B. K, Raveesha H. R. Effect of Elicitors treated callus of Baliospermum montanum (Willd.) Muell. Arg. on cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in HEP-2 and PC-3 cells. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5443-5450. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00950.6
Sushma B. K, Raveesha H. R. Effect of Elicitors treated callus of Baliospermum montanum (Willd.) Muell. Arg. on cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in HEP-2 and PC-3 cells. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5443-5450. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00950.6 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-11-65
1. American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures. Atlanta: American Cancer Society. 2015.
2. Yin-Quan T, Jaganat, IB and Sekaran SD. Phyllanthus spp. Induces Selective Growth Inhibition ofPC-3 and Me Wo Human Cancer Cells through Modulation of Cell Cycle and Induction of Apoptosis. PLoS ONE | www.plosone.org. 2010. 5(9); 1-11.
3. Prasannaraj G and Venkatachalam P. Green engineering of biomolecule-coated metallic silver nanoparticles and their potential cytotoxic activity against cancer cell lines. Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2017. 8; 1-11.
4. Kastan MB and Bartek J. Cell-cycle checkpoints and cancer. Nature.2004. 432; 316–23.
5. Kasibhatla S and Tseng B. Why target apoptosis in cancer treatment. Mol Cancer Ther.2003. 2;573–80.
6. Youssef FS, Ashour ML, Sobeh M, El-Beshbishy HA, Singab AN and Wink M. Eremophila maculata- Isolation of a rare naturally-occurring lignin glycoside and the hepatoprotective activity of the leaf extract. International Journal of Phytotherapy and Phytopharmacology. 2016. 23(12); 1484-1493.
7. Asadi-Samani M, Kafash-Farkhad N, Azimi N, Fasihi A, Alinia-Ahandani E and Rafieian-Kopaei M. Medicinal plants with hepatoprotective activity in Iranian folk medicine. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed.2015. 5(2); 146-157.
8. Johnson M, Wesely EG, Hussain Z and Selvan N. In vivo and in vitro phytochemical and antibacterial efficacy of Baliospermum montanum (Willd.) Muell. Arg. Asian Pacific J. Tro. Med. 2010.3;894-897.
9. Namdeo AG. Plant cell elicitation for production of secondary metabolites: a review. Pharmacognosy Reviews. 2007. 1(1); 69-79.
10. Ram M, Prasad KV, Singh SK, Hada BS and Kumar S. Influence of salicylic acid and methyl jasmonate elicitation on anthocyanin production in callus cultures of Rosa Hybrid L. Plant Cell Tiss Organ Cult. 2013. 113; 459-467.
11. Bulgakov VP, Tchernoded GK, Mischenko NP, Khodakovskaya MV, Glazunov VP, Radchenko SV et al. Effect of salicylic acid, methyl jasmonate, ethephon and cantharidin on anthraquinone production by Rubia cardifolia callus cultures transformed with the rolB and rolC genes. Journal of Biotechnology.2002.97; 213-221.
12. Samydurai P and Saradha M. Effects of various solvent on the extraction of antimicrobial, antioxidant, phenolic from the stem bark of Decalepis hamiltonii Wight and Arn. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2016. 6; 129-133.
13. Zavareh VA, Hossein G and Janzamin E. Effect of lithium chloride and anti neoplastic drugs on survival and cell cycle of androgen-dependent prostate cancer LNCap cells. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 2012. 44(6): 714-721.
14. Vermes I, Haanen C, Steffens-Nakken H and Reutelingsperger C. A novel assay for apoptosis. Flow cytometric detection of phosphatidylserine expression on early apoptotic cells using fluorescein labelled Annexin V. J. Immunol. Methods. 1995. 184(1);39-51.
15. Seethalaxmi R and Sarvanakumari BS. In-vitro anticancer activity of Baliospermum montanum on T cell leukemia - Jurkat cell line and Human Breast cancer - MCF-7. Iaetsd Journal for Advanced Research in Applied Sciences. 2018.5(1); 173-179
16. Shalabi M, Khilo KH, Zakaria MM, Elsebaei GM, Adbo W and Awadin W. Anticancer activity of Aloe vera and Calligonum comosum extracts separately on hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2015. 5(5); 375-381.
17. Sun choi E, Sung Kim J, Kwon KH, Seop Kim H, Pyo Cho N andDae Cho. Methanol extract of Sanguisorba officinalis L. with cytotoxic activity against PC3 human prostate cancer cells. Molecular Medicine Reports. 2010. 6; 670-674.
18. Di-Wen Shou and Yue-Lin Zheng. Antitumor activity, cell cycle arrest and apoptosis induction in human colon cancer cell line by Primula macrophylla extracts. A Journal of the Bangladesh Pharmacological Society. 2017. 12; 101-106.
19. Curcic MG, Stankovic MS, Mrkalic EM, Matovic ZD, Bankovic DD, Cvetkovic DM, Dacic SD and Markovic SD. Antiproliferative and Proapoptotic activities of methanolic extracts from Ligustrum vulgare L. as an individual treatment and in combination with Palladium complex. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2012. 13; 2521-2534.
20. Munari CC, Oliveir FD, De Souza lima IM, Lima Martins SP, Da Costa JC, Bastos JK and Tavares DC. Evaluation of cytotoxic, genotoxic and antigenotoxic potential of Solanum lycocarpum fruits glicoalkaloid extract in V79 cells. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2012. 50; 3696-3701.