T. Uma Maheswari, M. Karuppaiya, S. Subhagar, R. Rahul
T. Uma Maheswari*, M. Karuppaiya, S. Subhagar, R. Rahul
Department of Horticulture, Faculty of Agriculture, Food Processing Laboratory, Department of Chemical Engineering, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, India -608 002.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 11,
Year - 2020
Banana is a staple starchy food consumed all over the world. It helps to prevent asthma, cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and digestive problems. The cell line studies were carried out with the banana wine prepared from the cultivar Dwarf Cavendish to determine the anti-cancer properties. The anti-cancer activity determination was carried over the HCT-15 colon cancer cell line. Banana wine had capability of inhibiting the cell viability of the cancerous cells. Banana wine showed its anti-cancer properties at the 10% concentration whereas the cell viability was low when compared to other concentration and control.
Cite this article:
T. Uma Maheswari, M. Karuppaiya, S. Subhagar, R. Rahul. Potent inhibitory action of Banana wine polyphenols on colon cancer cells (HCT -15). Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5387-5390. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00942.7
1. Athina D, Efstathia B, Marilenna K, George N, Anastassia H, Claudia G, Elias K, Elias C. Potent inhibitory action of red wine polyphenols on human breast cancer cells. Journal of Cell Biochemistry. 2000; 78:429–441.
2. Chen KC, Peng CC, Chiu WT, Cheng YT, Huang GT, Hsieh CL. Action mechanism and signal pathways of Psidium guajava L. aqueous extract in killing prostate cancer LNCaP cells. Nutr. Cancer. 2010; 62:260–70.
3. Dahham S, Taleb A, Mohamad T, Yasser AM, Shah AM. Antioxidant activities and anticancer screening of extracts from banana fruit (Musa sapientum). Academic Journal of Cancer Research. 2015; 8. 28-34.
4. Iwasawa H. and Yamazaki M. Differences in Biological Response Modifier-like Activities According to the Strain and Maturity of Bananas. Food Science Technology Research. 2009; 15 (3), 275 – 282.
5. Panda SK., Swain MR, Singh S, Ray RC. Proximate compositions of a herbal purple sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.) wine. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 2013; 37: 596-604.
6. Praveena M, Surya Prabha M, Ravi I. and Mayil Vaganan M. Anti-Colorectal Cancer Properties of Hill Banana (cv. Virupakshi AAB) fruits: An in vitro assay. Indian Journal of Natural Sciences. 2018; 8 (47): 13226-13233.
7. Seo MY, Chung SY, Choi WK, Seo YK, Jung SH. Anti-aging effect of rice wine in cultured human fibroblasts and keratinocytes. Journal of Bioscience Bioeng. 2009; 107: 266-271.
8. Sun J, Chu YF, Wu X, Liu RH. Antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of common fruits. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry.2002; 50:7449–54.