A simple, effective, economic, less time consuming and reliable chromatographic method has been developed for the simultaneous estimation of Biotin and Folic acid in bulk and tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC and validated as per guidelines. This method involves an isocratic elution carried on C18 Sunfire (250 ? 4.5mm I.D, 5µm particle size) column by using mobile phase of 0.05M potassium dihydrogen orthophosphate buffer: methanol (70:30v/v).The flow rate was maintained at 0.6ml/min with the UV detection of 212nm at ambient temperature. Retention time of Biotin and Folic acid was found to be 6.4 min and 3.8 min respectively. Linearity was found to be in the concentration range of 10-50µg/ml and the correlation coefficient(r2) was greater than 0.996 for both the drugs. Limit of detection and Limit of quantification were found to be 0.07,0.2 and 0.03.0.9 for Biotin and Folic acid respectively. The method was accurate with 99-100.5% recovery. The method was precise with % RSD value of Biotin and Folic acid for intraday 0.8 and 0.9, for interday 0.81 and 0.83, for repeatability 1.43 and 1.2 respectively. Validation parameters met all specifications as per ICH Guidelines.
Cite this article:
K. Savitha, S. Ravichandran. Method Development and Validation for Simulataneous Estimation of Biotin and Folic Acid in Bulk and Tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5289-5292. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00925.7
1. Simultaneous analysis of water and fat soluble vitamins in beverages using an ODS modified metal doped column. Shimadzu corporation www.shimadzu.com/an/
2. Emaneula Pannia, Claria E. Cho, Ruslan kubant, Diana Sanchenz-Hernandez, Pedro S. P., Huot and G. Harvey Anderson Role of maternal vitamins in programming health and chronic disease. Nutr Rev.2016 ;74(3):166-80
3. Brendon D gill, Sheila Saldo, Jackie E Wood, Harvey E Indyk. A rapid method for the determination of Biotin and Folic acid in Liquid milk, milk powders, Infant formula and milk based nutritional products by liquid chromatography –Tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of AOAC International. 2018 ; 101(5):1578-83
4. Huang, Hsiang-Chi .Analysis of multivitamins in nutraceuticals by reverse phase HPLC with DAD ,ELSD and MS: All thesis at clemson university tiger prints. Available from: URL:https:// tigerprints.Clemson.edu/all theses/1736/2013
5. Megan Ware. Biotin: uses, sources and health benefits. Medical news today. Available from URL: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ 2017
6. Adam Felman. Folic acid: Importance, deficiencies, and side effects. Available from: URL:https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ 2017
7. Pena-Rosas JP, De-Regil, L.M, Malave HG, Flores-Urrutia MC, Dowswell T. Intermittent oral iron supplementation during pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.2015 ; (10).
8. A. Lebiedzinska, M. Dabrowska, P. Szefer, M. Marzall .HPLC method for the determination of Folic acid in fortified food products. Toxicol Mech Methods 2008 ;18(6):463-467.
9. Anthony E. Ekpe, Charlene Hazen. Liquid chromatographic determination of Biotin in Multivitamin/ Multimineral Tablets. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 1998 ;16(8):1311–1315
10. Yoon Young Huh, Yun Pyokang, Yong Seok Choi. Development of analytical method of Biotin in complex drugs and dietary supplements using HPLC-UV. Journal of Pharmaceutical Investigation. Feb 2011;41(1):25-30
11. Peichen, Rienta Atkinson, Wayne R Wolf. Single-Laboratory Validation of a High-Performance Liquid Chromatographic-Diode Array Detector-Fluorescence Detector/Mass Spectrometric Method for Simultaneous Determination of Water-Soluble Vitamins in Multivitamin Dietary Tablets. J AOAC Int .2009; 92(2): 680 - 687
12. ICH Harmonised Tripiartite Guidelines, Validation of Analytical Procedures :Text and Methodology Q2R1, European Medicine Agency, 1995 CPMP/ICH/381/95 pdf.