In the current study we have explored Self Nano Emulsifying Drug delivery system (SNEDDS) to enhance solubility and dissolution profile of repaglinide. These are thermodynamically stable isotropic mixture of drug dissolved in oil, surfactant and co-surfactant that when introduced into an aqueous medium under gentle agitation form a spontaneous oil-in-water nanoemulsion with a droplet size less than 200 nm. Various oils, surfactant and co- surfactants were examined for formation of SNEDDS. From the Pseudo Ternary Phase diagram the optimized formulations were selected based upon the ability to incorporate more amount oil and formation of nano sized drop. The selected formulations were characterized for % transparency and globule size detection which was around 150nm. Formulations F5 ( oil -5% surfactant-80% co- surfactant-15%) and F10 ( oil -5% surfactant-75% co- surfactant-20%) has shown enhanced advantage of SNEDDS over pure drug where around 98% of drug was released in 60mins, for pure drug it shows only 32% in 60mins which may be attributed low globule size can be correlated to particle size determination studies showing around 15nm globule size for F5 and F10 formulations that leads to increase in interfacial area which leads to enhanced solubility
Cite this article:
Pathuri Raghuveer, A. Prameela Rani. Design, Development and Characterization of Self Nano Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems for Repaglinide. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5283-5288. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00924.5
1. Kawabata Y, Wada K, Nakatani M, Yamada S, Onoue S. Formulation design for poorly water-soluble drugs based on biopharmaceutics classification system: basic approaches and practical applications. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2011 Nov 25;420(1):1-0.
2. Kollipara S, Gandhi RK. Pharmacokinetic aspects and in vitro–in vivo correlation potential for lipid-based formulations. Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica B. 2014 Oct 1;4(5):333-49.
3. Parmar K, Patel J, Sheth N. Self nano-emulsifying drug delivery system for Embelin: Design, characterization and in-vitro studies. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015 Oct 1;10(5):396-404.
4. Vyas A, Gidwani B. Technologies to counter poor solubility issues: A review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013;6(11):1258-70.
5. Dash RN, Mohammed H, Humaira T, Ramesh D. Design, optimization and evaluation of glipizide solid self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery for enhanced solubility and dissolution. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal. 2015 Oct 1;23(5):528-40.
6. Senapati PC, Sahoo SK, Sahu AN. Mixed surfactant based (SNEDDS) self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system presenting efavirenz for enhancement of oral bioavailability. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy. 2016 May 1;80:42-51.
7. Chauhan NN, Patel NV, Suthar SJ, Patel JK, Patel MP. Micronization of BCS Class–II Drugs by Various Approaches for Solubility Enhancement–A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012;5(8):999-1005.
8. Sharma D, Soni M, Kumar S, Gupta GD. Solubility enhancement–eminent role in poorly soluble drugs. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009;2(2):220-4.
9. Shah, N.H., Carvajal, M.T., Patel, C.I., Infeld, M.H., Malick, A.W., 1994. Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS) with polyglycolyzed glycerides for improving in vitro dissolution and oral absorption of lipophilic drugs. Int. J. Pharm. 106, 15–23.
10. Patel, D. and Sawant, K.K. (2009) Self micro-emulsifying drug delivery system: formulation development and biopharmaceutical evaluation of lipophilic drugs. Curr. Drug Deliv. 6, 419–424.
11. Ponnaganti H, Abbulu K. Enhanced Dissolution of Repaglinide: SMEDDS Formulation and In-vitro Evaluation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2014;7(11):1246-52.
12. Kuldeep P. Waidya, S. Ramya Sri, T. Janaki. Formulation Development and Characterisation of Repaglinide Buccal Tablets. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2019; 9(2):79-88.
13. Sanjay Kshirsagar, Manisha Choudhari, Reshmi Sathyan, Shruti Dhore. Solubility Enhancement by Various Techniques based on Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry Approach: An Overview. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2019; 9(2):141-146.
14. Raval C, Joshi N, Patel J, Upadhyay UM. Enhanced oral bioavailability of olmesartan by using novel solid self emulsifying drug delivery system. International Journal of Advanced Pharmaceutics. 2012;2(2):82-92.
15. Forgiarini A, Esquena J, Gonzalez C, Solans C. Formation of nano-emulsions by low-energy emulsification methods at constant temperature. Langmuir. 2001 Apr 3;17(7):2076-83.
16. Gupta S, Chavhan S, Sawant K. Self‑nano emulsifying drug delivery system for adefovirdipivoxil: Design, characterization, in‑vitro and ex‑vivo evaluation. Colloids Surf A Physico chem Eng Asp2011; 392:145‑55.
17. Zhang P, Liu Y, Feng N, Xu J. Preparation and evaluation of self-microemulsifying drug delivery system of oridonin. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2008 May 1;355(1-2):269-76.
18. Rege BD, Kao JP, Polli JE. Effects of nonionic surfactants on membrane transporters in Caco-2 cell monolayers. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2002 Sep 1;16(4-5):237-46.
19. Elnaggar YS, El-Massik MA, Abdallah OY. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems of tamoxifen citrate: design and optimization. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2009 Oct 1;380(1-2):133-41.
20. Zhang, P., Liu, Y., Feng, N., Xu, J., 2008. Preparation and evaluation of self micro emulsifying drug delivery system of oridonin. International Journal of Pharmaceutics355, 269-276.
21. Bandyopadhyay S, Katare OP, Singh B. Optimized self nano-emulsifying systems of ezetimibe with enhanced bioavailability potential using long chain and medium chain triglycerides. Colloids Surf. B.2012; 100:50-61.
22. Pratiksha Sonawale, Amol Patil, Asmit Kamble, Mangesh Bhutkar. Solubility Enhancement of Lipophilic Drugs - Solid Self Micro-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2016; 6 (3): 155-158.
23. Senapati PC, Sahoo SK, Sahu AN. Mixed surfactant based (SNEDDS) self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system presenting efavirenz for enhancement of oral bioavailability. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016; 80:42-51
24. Porter CJ, Pouton CW, Cuine JF, Charman WN. Enhancing intestinal drug solubilisation using lipid-based delivery systems. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 2008 Mar 17;60(6):673-91.
25. Bali V, Ali M, Ali J. Study of surfactant combinations and development of a novel nanoemulsion for minimising variations in bioavailability of ezetimibe. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2010 Apr 1;76(2):410-20.
26. Khade S, Pore Y. Formulation and Evaluation Of Neusilin® Us2 Adsorbed Amorphous Solid Self-Microemulsifying Delivery System of Atorvastatin Calcium. Asian J. Pharm. Clin. Res. 2016;9:93-100.
27. Palamakula A, Khan MA. Evaluation of cytotoxicity of oils used in coenzyme Q10 self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS). International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2004 Apr 1;273(1-2):63-73.
28. Parmar N, Singla N, Amin S, Kohli K. Study of cosurfactant effect on nanoemulsifying area and development of lercanidipine loaded (SNEDDS) self nanoemulsifying drug delivery system. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2011 Sep 1;86(2):327-38.
29. Charman WN. Lipids, lipophilic drugs, and oral drug delivery—some emerging concepts. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2000 Aug 1;89(8):967-78.
30. Balakrishnan P, Lee BJ, Oh DH, Kim JO, Hong MJ, Jee JP, Kim JA, Yoo BK, Woo JS, Yong CS, Choi HG. Enhanced oral bioavailability of dexibuprofen by a novel solid self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS). European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2009 Aug 1;72(3):539-45.
31. Narkhede RS, Gujar KN, Gambhire VM. Design and evaluation of self‑nano emulsifying drug delivery systems for nebivolol hydrochloride. Asian J Pharm Sci.2014; 8(3):200-09.
32. Jia B, Zhang Z, Chen MH, Zhang WP. Effect of liquid oils on the properties of multiple emulsions containing liquid crystals. J. Dispersion Sci. Technol. 2017;38(6):876-82.
33. Pouton, C.W., 1997. Formulation of self-emulsifying drug delivery systems. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 25, 47-58.
34. Wu W, Wang Y, Que L. Enhanced bioavailability of silymarin by self-microemulsifying drug delivery system. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2006 Jul 1;63(3):288-94.
35. Paun J.S., Tank H.M. Nanosuspension: An Emerging Trend for Bioavailability Enhancement of Poorly Soluble Drugs. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2(4): Oct. - Dec. 2012; Page 157-168.
36. Sarika V. Khandbahale. A Review- Nanosuspension Technology in Drug Delivery System. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2019; 9(2): 130-138