Shaum Shiyan, Annisa Arifin, Annisa Amriani, Herlina, Galih Pratiwi
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Shaum Shiyan1*, Annisa Arifin1, Annisa Amriani1, Herlina1, Galih Pratiwi2*
1Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Universitas Sriwijaya, Indralaya (OI) Sumatera Selatan Indonesia, 30662.
2Department of Pharmacy, STIKES ‘Aisyiyah Palembang, Sumatera Selatan Indonesia, 30152.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 11,
Year - 2020
Calotropis gigantea L. flower contains a high value of flavonoid and polyphenol that potentially as an immunostimulatory agent. This research has been conducted to observe and acquire the immunostimulator effect of ethanol extract from Calotropis gigantea L. flower (EECGF) in rats, which were induced with Salmonella typhimurium (S. typhi). Rats were grouped into six, namely normal, negative control, positive control, EECGF dose 40mg/200g, 80mg/200g, and 120mg/200g body weight. Rats were treated for 12 days according to their respective groups, on the sixth day, rats were induced by S. typhi except for the normal group. Three days after infection, the Widal test was evaluated, and on the 12th day, an immune system parameter was evaluated. The results obtained, EECGF can increase the value of leukocytes, lymphocytes, monocytes, and neutrophils, followed by an increase in CD4 T cell values proportionally due to S. typhi infection. It was concluded that EECGF had immunostimulatory activity, EECGF dose 80mg/200g had the same character with positive control. However, the highest dose of extract 120mg/200g can cause splenomegaly.
Cite this article:
Shaum Shiyan, Annisa Arifin, Annisa Amriani, Herlina, Galih Pratiwi. Immunostimulatory Activity of Ethanol Extract from Calotropis gigantea L. Flower in Rats against Salmonella typhimurium Infection. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5244-5250. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00917.8
1. Wahyuningrum R, Wahyono D, Mustofa M, Prabandari YS. A Qualitative Study Discovering the Common Medication-Therapy Problems in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) in Indonesia. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2017; 10(7): 246-250.
2. Mathur R, Oh H, Zhang D, Park SG, Seo J, Koblansky A et al. A Mouse Model of Salmonella typhi Infection. Cell. 2012; 151(1): 590-602.
3. Fodouop SPC, Gatsing D, Tangue BT, Tagne RS, Tala SD, Tchoumboué J et al. Effect of Salmonella typhimurium Infection on Rat’s Cell Oxidation and In Vivo Antioxidant Activity of Vitellaria paradoxa and Ludwigia abyssinica Aqueous Extract. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease. 2015; 5(1): 38-46.
4. Manore D, Pillai S, Joshi A, Punashiya R. Preliminary Phytochemical Screening and Antibacterial Activity of Ethyl Acetate Extract of Cuscuta reflexa Roxb. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5(1): 79-82.
5. Kurtz JR, Goggins JA, McLachlan JB. Salmonella infection: Interplay Between the Bacteria and Host Immune System. Immunology Letters. 2017; 190: 42-50.
6. Lin L, Chen Z, Dai F, Wei JJ, Tang XY, Sun GB. CD4+ T Cells Induce Productions of IL-5 and IL-13 Through MHCII on ILC2s in a Murine Model of Allergic Rhinitis. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2019; 46(4): 533-541.
7. Wu J, Cui Y, Zhu W, Bai S, Zhao N, Liu B. Critical Role of OX40/OX40L in ILC2-Mediated Activation of CD4+T Cells During Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection in Mice. International Immunopharmacology. 2019; 76: 105784.
8. Goel A, Kumar S, Bhatia AK. Effect of Ocimum sanctum on the Development of Protective Immunity Against Salmonella typhimurium Infection Through Cytokines. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2010; 3(9): 682-686.
9. Pratiwi G, Martien R, Murwanti R. Chitosan Nanoparticle as a Delivery System for Polyphenols from Meniran Extract (Phyllanthus niruri L.): Formulation, Optimization, and Immunomodulatory Activity. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2019; 11(2): 50-58.
10. Pardesi GS, Chhaya G, Vaidya MD. Immunomodulatory Activity of Calotropis gigantea by Cyclophosphamide Induced Myelosuppression. Pharmacologyonline. 2008; 2: 164-167.
11. Mishra P, Yadav KS, Shrivastava P. An updated Review on Phytochemistry, Pharmacological Activity and Medicinal uses of Calotropis gigantea R. Br. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2017; 9(2): 135-138.
12. Dhivya R, Manimegalai K. Preliminary Phytochemical Screening and GC-MS Profiling of Ethanolic Flower Extract of Calotropis gigantea Linn. (Apocynaceae). Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2013; 2(3): 28-32.
13. Shastry VM, Patil VR, Chaudhari RY. Evaluation of Acute and Chronic Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Whole Plant of Calotropis gigantea in Various Experimental Animal Models. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(5): 815–818.
14. David M, BharathK R, Bhavani M. Study of Calotropis gigantea R. Br. Extracts on Growth and Survival Dynamics of Selected Pathogenic Microorganisms. International Journal of Biological Engineering. 2012; 1(1): 1-5.
15. Usmani S. Screening for Antioxidant and Free Radical Scavenging Potential of Extracts of Leaves and Flowers of Calotropis gigantea. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2013; 6: 97-100.
16. Lodhi G, Singh H, Pant K, Hussain Z. Hepatoprotective Effects of Calotropis gigantea Extract Against Carbon Tetrachloride Induced Liver Injury in Rats. Acta Pharmaceutica. 2009; 59(1): 89-96.
17. Kshirsagar A, Purnima A. Evaluation of Calotropis gigantea R. Br. Flower Extract on Alcohol Induced Hepatotoxicity. Journal of Cell and Tissue Research. 2008; 8(3): 1551-1556.
18. Vadnere GP, Gaud RS, Singhai AK, Agrawal AS. Effect of Calotropis gigantea Flowers Extracts on Mast Cell Degranulation in Rats. Pharmacologyonline. 2010; 3: 298-303.
19. Kanashiro A, Souza JG, Kabeya LM, Azzolini AECS, Lucisano-Valim YM. Elastase Release by Stimulated Neutrophils Inhibited by Flavonoids: Importance of the Catechol Group. Zeitschrift Fur Naturforschung C Journal of Biosciences. 2007; 62(5-6): 357-361.
20. Nurjayadi M, Kurnia Dewi F, Kartika IR, Hasan U, Setianingsih I, asiah N et al. Development of Antibody Anti-FimC-Salmonella typhi as a Detection Kit Model of Typhoid Diseases by Antigen Capture Approach. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology. 2019; 19: 101157.
21. Beig FK, Ahmad F, Ekram M, Shukla I. Typhidot M and Diazo test vis-à-vis Blood Culture and Widal Test in the Early Diagnosis of Typhoid Fever in Children in a Resource Poor Setting. The Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2010; 14: 589-593.
22. Silva SD, Feliciano RP, Boas LV, Bronze MR. Application of FTIR-ATR to Moscatel Dessert Wines for Prediction of Total Phenolic and Flavonoid Contents and Antioxidant Capacity. Food Chemistry. 2014; 150: 489-493.
23. Brooks G, Carroll KC, Butel J, Morse S. Medical Microbiology. 26th ed. McGraw-Hill Publishing, New York. 2013.
24. Momoh MA, Adikwu MU, Oyi AR. Vernonia amygdalina Extract and CD4 Cell Counts: An Immune Study. Global Journal of Biotechnology and Biochemistry. 2010; 5(2): 92-96.
25. Venkatalakshmi P, Vadivel V, Brindha P. Role of Phytochemicals as Immunomodulatory Agents: A Review. International Journal of Green Pharmacy. 2016; 10(1): 1-18.
26. Momoh M, Muhamed U, Agboke A, Akpabio E, Uduma EO. Immunological Effect of Aqueous Extract of Vernonia amygdalina and a Known Immune Booster Called Immunace® and Their Admixtures on HIV/AIDS Clients: A Comparative Study. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2012; 2(3): 181-184.
27. Akilandeswari K, Anuradha R. Immunostimulatory Activity of Rosa centifolia in Azathioprine Induced Rats. Research Journal Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2012; 4(4): 210-212.
28. Gaba M, Gaba P, Singh S, Dhingra N. Inhibition of LFA-1/ICAM-1 Interaction: A Therapeutic Strategy for Surmounting Inflammation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2015; 5(1): 37-47.
29. Frolova AY, Chernyavskikh SD, Quyet HD, Thanh VV. The Effect of the Incubation Temperature on Morphological and Physical Parameters of Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Erythrocytes and Polymorphonuclear Leukocytes. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(3): 795-798.
30. Al-Rekabi MD, Ali SH, Al-Basaisi H, Hashim F, Hussein AH, Abbas HK. Immunomodulatory Effects of Quercetin in Patient with Active Rheumatoid Arthritis. Journal of Advanced Medical Research. 2014; 4(2): 11.
31. Hemalatha M, Arirudran B, Thenmozhi A, Rao USM. Antimicrobial Effect of Separate Extract of Acetone, Ethyl Acetate, Methanol and Aqueous from Leaf of Milkweed (Calotropis gigantea L.). Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2011; 1(4): 102-107.
32. Aboderin FI, Oyetayo VO. Haematological Studies of Rats Fed Different Doses of Probiotic, Lactobacillus plantarum, Isolated from Fermenting Corn Slurry. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 2006; 5(2): 102-105.
33. Yarana C, Thompson H, Chaiswing L, Butterfield DA, Weiss H, Bondada S et al. Extracellular Vesicle-Mediated Macrophage Activation: An Insight into the Mechanism of Thioredoxin-Mediated Immune Activation. Redox Biology. 2019; 26: 101237.
34. Bellomo A, Gentek R, Bajénoff M, Baratin M. Lymph Node Macrophages: Scavengers, Immune Sentinels and Trophic Effectors. Cellular Immunology. 2018; 330: 168-174.
35. Cai T, Wu H, Qin J, Qiao J, Yang Y, Wu Y et al. In Vitro Evaluation by PCA and AHP of Potential Antidiabetic Properties of Lactic Acid Bacteria Isolated from Traditional Fermented Food. LWT 2019; 115: 108455.
36. Shirsat MK. Chemometric Study of Herbal Extracts of Calotropis gigantea Linn. By FT-IR Spectroscopy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(7): 1052-1054.
37. Hoang VD. Chemometrics-assisted Spectrophotometric Determination of Ciprofloxacin and Naphazoline in Eye Drops. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2014; 7(5): 461-465.
38. Kathirvel S, Sahiti V, Suneetha A. Spectrophotometric Estimation of Risedronate Sodium in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations using Multivariate Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(4): 1209-1212.
39. Lin JY, Tang CY. Determination of Total Phenolic and Flavonoid Contents in Selected Fruits and Vegetables, as well as their Stimulatory Effects on Mouse Splenocyte Proliferation. Food Chemistry. 2007; 101(1): 140-147.
40. Shiyan S, Hertiani T, Martien R, Nugroho AK. Optimization and Validation of RP-HPLC/UV Detection for Several Compounds Simultaneously in Semi-Purified Extract of White Tea. Rasayan Journal of Chemistry. 2019; 12(3): 1098-1109.
41. Shiyan S, Hertiani T, Martien R, Nugroho AK. Optimization of a Novel Kinetic-Assisted Infundation for Rich-EGCG and Polyphenols of White Tea (Camellia sinensis) Using Central Composite Design. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2018; 10(6): 259-267.
42. Setyawan EI, Setyowati EP, Rohman A, Nugroho AK. Central Composite Design for Optimizing Extraction of EGCG from Green Tea Leaf (Camellia sinensis L.). International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2018; 10(6): 211-216.
43. Krifa M, Bouhlel I, Ghedira-Chekir L, Ghedira K. Immunomodulatory and Cellular Anti-Oxidant Activities of an Aqueous Extract of Limoniastrum guyonianum Gall. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2013; 146(1): 243-249.
44. Cheryomushkina IV, Korneeva OS. Innovative Biotechnology Probiotic Feed Additives C and Immunostimulatory Effects. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(4): 1165-1167.