Jayant Singh Bhardwaj, Suman Manandhar, Sayan Chatterjee, Gangadhar Hari, Keerthi Priya, S. Raviteja, K. Sreedhara Ranganath Pai
Jayant Singh Bhardwaj, Suman Manandhar, Sayan Chatterjee, Gangadhar Hari, Keerthi Priya, S. Raviteja, K. Sreedhara Ranganath Pai*
Department of Pharmacology, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, 576104, Karnataka, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 11,
Year - 2020
Gossypin is known to have antioxidant property and its neuroprotective activity in the ischemia model has been reported. There are no reports on the activity of Gossypin in the learning and memory. The objective of the current work was to evaluate the protective effects of Gossypin in Colchicine-induced Cognitive Dysfunction in rats. For this experiment Male Wistar rats were used and were administered with intracerebroventricular injection of colchicine and oral solution of gossypin (10 or 20 mg/kg) for 3 week to determine the preventive effect of gossypin against colchicine toxicity. Exposure to colchicine produced oxidative stress in rats and model for deficit in memory. The activity of Gossypin in enhancing memory was evaluated using Morris Water Maze for parameters related to spatial memory as Escape latency, island entries, etc. followed by biochemical estimation of AChE enzyme level in the frontal cortex and Hippocampal region of rat brain. Docking interaction study for understanding affinity of Gossypin to AChE enzyme was done using Schrodinger suite. Insilico XP docking study suggested the strong affinity of Gossypin to AChE. Treatment with Gossypin showed significant reduction of the AChE level in frontal cortex but not in Hippocampal region. Gossypin treated group showed slight reduction but not significant in the latency period. However significant increase in the number of island entries was observed. Overall, Gossypin showed significant in silico interaction with AChE, increased AChE activity and slight cognition enhancing property.
Cite this article:
Jayant Singh Bhardwaj, Suman Manandhar, Sayan Chatterjee, Gangadhar Hari, Keerthi Priya, S. Raviteja, K. Sreedhara Ranganath Pai. Protective Effects of Gossypin in Colchicine-induced Cognitive Dysfunction and Oxidative Damage in Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5189-5196. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00907.5
1. Domingues C, AB da Cruz e Silva O, Henriques A. Impact of cytokines and chemokines on Alzheimer's disease neuropathological hallmarks. Current Alzheimer research. 2017 Aug 1;14(8):870-82.
2. Jadhav RP, Kengar MD, Narule OV, Koli VW, Kumbhar SB. A Review on Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) and its Herbal Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2019 May 7;9(2):112-22.
3. Venkatachalam S, Jaiswal A, De A, Vijayakumar RK. Repurposing Drugs for Management of Alzheimer Disease. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019 Jun 1;12(6):3078-88.
4. Robert P, Ferris S, Gauthier S, Ihl R, Winblad B, Tennigkeit F. Review of Alzheimer's disease scales: is there a need for a new multi-domain scale for therapy evaluation in medical practice?. Alzheimer's research and therapy. 2010 Aug;2(4):24.
5. Vallée A, Lecarpentier Y, Guillevin R, Vallée JN. Effects of cannabidiol interactions with Wnt/β-catenin pathway and PPARγ on oxidative stress and neuroinflammation in Alzheimer's disease. Acta biochimica et biophysica Sinica. 2017 Oct 1;49(10):853-66.
6. Mehta M, Adem A, Sabbagh M. New acetylcholinesterase inhibitors for Alzheimer's disease. International Journal of Alzheimer’s disease. 2012;2012.
7. Velraj M, Lavaniya N. Alzheimer disease and a potential role of herbs-A review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018 Jun 1;11(6):2695-700.
8. Tripathi S, Sahu UK, Meshram J, Kumari R, Tripathi DK, Alexander A, Sharma H, Sahu GK. Formulation and characterization of Virgin Coconut Oil Emulsion (VCOE) for treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2018 Apr 1;10(2):49-54.
9. Kumar A, Sehgal N, Kumar P, Padi SS, Naidu PS. Protective effect of quercetin against I.C.V.. colchicine‐induced cognitive dysfunctions and oxidative damage in rats. Phytotherapy Research: An International Journal Devoted to Pharmacological and Toxicological Evaluation of Natural Product Derivatives. 2008 Dec;22(12):1563-9.
10. Kumar A, Dogra S, Prakash A. Protective effect of naringin, a citrus flavonoid, against colchicine-induced cognitive dysfunction and oxidative damage in rats. Journal of medicinal food. 2010 Aug 1;13(4):976-84.
11. Chandrashekhar VM, Ganapaty S, Ramkishan A, Narsu ML. Neuroprotective activity of gossypin from Hibiscus vitifolius against global cerebral ischemia model in rats. Indian journal of pharmacology. 2013 Nov;45(6):575.
12. Ganapaty S, Chandrashekhar VM, Chitme HR, Narsu ML. Free radical scavenging activity of gossypin and nevadensin: An in-vitro evaluation. Indian journal of Pharmacology. 2007 Nov 1;39(6):281.
13. Kumar MV, Gupta YK. Intracerebroventricular administration of colchicine produces cognitive impairment associated with oxidative stress in rats. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. 2002 Oct 1;73(3):565-71.
14. Kumar A, Aggrawal A, Pottabathini R, Singh A. Possible neuroprotective mechanisms of clove oil against i.c.v..-colchicine induced cognitive dysfunction. Pharmacological Reports. 2016 Aug 1;68(4):764-72.
15. Vorhees CV, Williams MT. Morris water maze: procedures for assessing spatial and related forms of learning and memory. Nature protocols. 2006 Aug;1(2):848.
16. Lakshmi K, Karishma SK, Sekhar NC, Babu NA, Kumar BN. Terminalia chebula Retz improve memory and learning in Alzheimer's Model:(Experimental Study in Rat). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018 Nov 1;11(11):4888-91.
17. Athitya LS, Bharath VM, Nellore J, Prakash P. Screening of Gracilaria corticata Extracts for Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitory Activity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018 Sep 1;11(9):3848-50.
18. Ellman GL, Courtney KD, Andres Jr V, Featherstone RM. A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity. Biochemical pharmacology. 1961 Jul 1;7(2):88-95.
19. Chitra V, Narayanan J. In vitro Screening for Anti-Cholinesterase and Anti Oxidant Activity of Extract of Garcinia hanburyi. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018 Jul 1;11(7):2918-21.
20. Kanthamma SL, Kriszhnamurthi J, Hemalathaa CN, Aanandhi MV. Insilico approach of interaction studies in Bacopa monnieri compounds targeting multi-proteins for Alzheimer's Disease. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018 Apr 1;11(4):1522-6.
21. Jainab NH, Raja MM. In Silico Molecular Docking Studies on the Chemical Constituents of Clerodendrum phlomidis for its Cytotoxic Potential against Breast Cancer Markers. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018 Apr 1;11(4):1612-8
22. Dhananjayan K, Sumathy A, Palanisamy S. Molecular docking studies and in-vitro acetylcholinesterase inhibition by terpenoids and flavonoids. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2013 Nov 1;6(11):3.
23. Cheung J, Gary EN, Shiomi K, Rosenberry TL. Structures of human acetylcholinesterase bound to dihydrotanshinone I and territrem B show peripheral site flexibility. ACS medicinal chemistry letters. 2013 Sep 30;4(11):1091-6.
24. Friesner RA, Murphy RB, Repasky MP, Frye LL, Greenwood JR, Halgren TA, Sanschagrin PC, Mainz DT. Extra precision glide: Docking and scoring incorporating a model of hydrophobic enclosure for protein− ligand complexes. Journal of medicinal chemistry. 2006 Oct 19;49(21):6177-96.
25. Heneka MT, Carson MJ, El Khoury J, Landreth GE, Brosseron F, Feinstein DL, et al. Neuroinflammation in Alzheimer’s disease. Lancet Neurol. 2015;14(4):388–405.
26. Kinney JW, Bemiller SM, Murtishaw AS, Leisgang AM, Salazar AM, Lamb BT. Inflammation as a central mechanism in Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s Dement Transl Res Clin Interv. 2018;4:575–90.
27. Sharma K. Cholinesterase inhibitors as Alzheimer's therapeutics. Molecular medicine reports. 2019 Aug 1;20(2):1479-87.
28. Bartus RT, Dean R3, Beer B, Lippa AS. The cholinergic hypothesis of geriatric memory dysfunction. Science. 1982 Jul 30;217(4558):408-14.
29. García-Ayllón MS, Riba-Llena I, Serra-Basante C, Alom J, Boopathy R, Sáez-Valero J. Altered levels of acetylcholinesterase in Alzheimer plasma. PLoS One. 2010 Jan 14;5(1):e8701.