Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Sreenivasulu Kondaveeti, Srikanth Konjeti, Sreevidya Gangireddy, Omer Ibrahim
Hindustan Abdul Ahad*, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Sreenivasulu Kondaveeti, Srikanth Konjeti, Sreevidya Gangireddy, Omer Ibrahim
Department of Industrial Pharmacy, Raghavendra Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (RIPER)-Autonomous, Ananthapuramu – 515721, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2020
The aim of this investigation was to review the literature on the possessions of herbal tooth powders to tackle cleaning and maintaining dental hygiene. A broad exploration was intended and the articles were autonomously curtained. Extensive varieties of natural herbs used as toothbrushes, prophylaxis, and treatment of gingivitis/infections and organoleptic characteristics that are to be applied on teeth with a toothbrush were incorporated. A lot of herbal dentifrices were listed out in this review. The study concludes and gave a well-supported document for quick reference to the herbs which are used for cleansing and maintaining tooth hygiene.
Cite this article:
Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Sreenivasulu Kondaveeti, Srikanth Konjeti, Sreevidya Gangireddy, Omer Ibrahim. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):5052-5054. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00885.9
Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Chinthaginjala Haranath, Sreenivasulu Kondaveeti, Srikanth Konjeti, Sreevidya Gangireddy, Omer Ibrahim. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):5052-5054. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00885.9 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-10-88
1. Ahad HA, Kumar CS, Nanda MP, Bhanu TU, Ravindra BV, Mohan GV. Traditional indian herbs used for diabetes. JITPS. 2010; 1(2):69-78.
2. Raghu U, Ahad HA, Satish P, Siddeshwara S, Dhanalakshmi AC, Tejeshwini H. A quick reference to plant gums and mucilages used as a tablet binder.
3. Ahad HA, Sreeramulu J, Bindu VH, Ramyasree P, Padmaja BS, Sravanthi M. Isolation and physicochemical characterization of Ficus reticulata fruit mucilage. International Journal of Green Pharmacy (IJGP). 2011; 5(2).
4. Pashley DH, O'meara JA, Kepler EE, Galloway SE, Thompson SM, Stewart FP. Dentin permeability: Effects of desensitizing dentifrices in vitro. Journal of Periodontology. 1984 Sep 1; 55(9):522-5.
5. Schour I, Sarnat BG. Oral manifestations of occupational origin. Journal of the American Medical Association. 1942 Dec 12; 120(15):1197-207.
6. Baki G, Alexander KS. Introduction to cosmetic formulation and technology. John Wiley and Sons; 2015 Apr 13.
7. Laoui T, Santos E, Osakada K, Shiomi M, Morita M, Shaik SK, Tolochko NK, Abe F, Takahashi M. Properties of titanium dental implant models made by laser processing. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science. 2006 Jun 1; 220(6):857-63.
8. Farzana MU, Tharique IA. A review of ethnomedicine, phytochemical and pharmacological activities of Acacia nilotica (Linn) willd. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2014 May 1; 3(1).
9. Singh K, Lataye DH, Wasewar KL. Removal of fluoride from aqueous solution by using bael (Aeglemarmelos) shell activated carbon: kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic study. Journal of Fluorine Chemistry. 2017 Feb 1; 194:23-32.
10. Saraf A, Samant A. Evaluation of some minerals and trace elements in Achyranthesaspera Linn. Int J Pharma Sci. 2013; 3(3):229-33.
11. Lewis WH, Elvin-Lewis MP. Neem (Azadirachta indica) cultivated in Haiti. Economic Botany. 1983 Jan 1; 37(1):69-70.
12. D'souza JJ, D'souza PP, Fazal F, Kumar A, Bhat HP, Baliga MS. Anti-diabetic effects of the Indian indigenous fruit Emblica officinalis Gaertn: active constituents and modes of action. Food and function. 2014; 5(4):635-44.
13. Ahad HA, Kumar CS, Ravindra BV, Sasidhar CG, Ramakrishna G, Venkatnath L, Gangadhar P, Navya K. Characterization and permeation studies of Diltiazem hydrochloride-ficus reticuleta fruit mucilage Transdermal patches. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2010; 1:32-7.
14. Hindustan AA, Yesupadam P, Ramyasree P, Suma Padmaja B, Sravanthi M, Guru Prakash P. Isolation and physicochemical characterization of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis leaves mucilage. International journal of current research. 2011; 3(4):210-2.
15. Nikhal SB, Dambe PA, Ghongade DB, Goupale DC. Hydroalcoholic extraction of Mangifera indica (leaves) by Soxhletion. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010; 2(1):30-2.
16. Chopade VV, Tankar AN, Pande VV, Tekade AR, Gowekar NM, Bhandari SR, Khandake SN. Pongamia pinnata: Phytochemical constituents, traditional uses and pharmacological properties: A review. International Journal of Green Pharmacy (IJGP). 2008; 2(2).
17. Ahmad H, Rajagopal K. Salvadora persica L. (Meswak) in dental hygiene. The Saudi Journal for Dental Research. 2014 Jul 1; 5(2):130-4.
18. Ayyanar M, Subash-Babu P. Syzygium cumini (L.) Skeels: A review of its phytochemical constituents and traditional uses. Asian Pacific journal of tropical biomedicine. 2012 Mar 1; 2(3):240-6.
19. Amoian B, Moghadamnia AA, Barzi S, Sheykholeslami S, Rangiani A. Salvadora Persica extract chewing gum and gingival health: improvement of gingival and probe-bleeding index. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. 2010 Aug 1; 16(3):121-3.
20. Ajmera N, Chatterjee A, Goyal V. Aloe vera: It's effect on gingivitis. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology. 2013 Jul; 17(4):435.
21. Botelho MA, dos Santos RA, Martins JG, Carvalho CO, Paz MC, Azenha C, Ruela RS, Queiroz DB, Ruela WS, Marinho G, Ruela FI. Efficacy of a mouthrinse based on leaves of the neem tree (Azadirachta indica) in the treatment of patients with chronic gingivitis: A double-blind, randomized, controlled trial. Journal of medicinal plants research. 2008 Nov 30; 2(11):341-6.
22. Ahonkhai I, Ayinde BA, Edogun O, Uhuwmangho MU. Antimicrobial activities of the volatile oils of Ocimum bacilicum L. and Ocimum gratissimum L. (Lamiaceae) against some aerobic dental isolates. Pakistan journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2009 Oct 1; 22(4).
23. Menezes SM, Cordeiro LN, Viana GS. Punicagranatum (pomegranate) extract is active against dental plaque. Journal of herbal pharmacotherapy. 2006 Jan 1; 6(2):79-92.
24. Gupta D, Bhaskar DJ, Gupta RK, Karim B, Gupta V, Punia H, Batra M, Jain A, Agarwal A, Singh P. Effect of Terminaliachebula extract and chlorhexidine on salivary pH and periodontal health: 2 weeks randomized control trial. Phytotherapy Research. 2014 Jul; 28(7):992-8.
25. Joshi B, Sah GP, Basnet BB, Bhatt MR, Sharma D, Subedi K, Janardhan P, Malla R. Phytochemical extraction and antimicrobial properties of different medicinal plants: Ocimum sanctum (Tulsi), Eugenia caryophyllata (Clove), Achyranthesbidentata (Datiwan) and Azadirachta indica (Neem). Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials. 2011 Jan 30; 3(1):1-7.
26. Reddy RD, Reddy PN, Prathibha N, Mounica TM, Phanikumar A, Ravindra M. Pharmacognostic, preliminary phyto chemical and pharmacological studies on the roots of achyranthesaspera. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research. 2012; 4(3):139-41.
27. Ruban P, Gajalakshmi K. In vitro antibacterial activity of Hibiscus rosa–sinensis flower extract against human pathogens. Asian pacific journal of tropical biomedicine. 2012 May 1; 2(5):399-403.
28. Mujeeb F, Bajpai P, Pathak N. Phytochemical evaluation, antimicrobial activity, and determination of bioactive components from leaves of Aeglemarmelos. BioMed research international. 2014; 2014.
29. Pradeep AR, Happy D, Garg G. Short‐term clinical effects of commercially available gel containing Acacia arabica: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Australian dental journal. 2010 Mar; 55(1):65-9.
30. Kumar GS, Nayaka H, Dharmesh SM, Salimath PV. Free and bound phenolic antioxidants in amla (Emblicaofficinalis) and turmeric (Curcuma longa). Journal of food composition and analysis. 2006 Aug 1;19(5):446-52.
31. Muruganandan S, Srinivasan K, Chandra S, Tandan SK, Lal J, Raviprakash V. Anti-inflammatory activity of Syzygium cumini bark. Fitoterapia. 2001 May 1; 72(4):369-75.
32. Chaieb K, Hajlaoui H, Zmantar T, Kahla‐Nakbi AB, Rouabhia M, Mahdouani K, Bakhrouf A. The chemical composition and biological activity of clove essential oil, Eugenia caryophyllata (Syzigiumaromaticum L. Myrtaceae): a short review. Phytotherapy research. 2007 Jun 1; 21(6):501-6.
33. Mahajan MS, Gulecha VS, Khandare RA, Upaganlawar AB, Gangurde HH, Upasani CD. Anti-edematogenic and analgesic activities of Ficus benghalensis. International Journal of Nutrition, Pharmacology, Neurological Diseases. 2012 May 1; 2(2):100.
34. Hossain MS, Alam MB, Asadujjaman M, Islam MM, Rahman MA, Islam MA, Islam A. Antihyperglycemic and antihyperlipidemic effects of different fractions of Stevia rebaudiana leaves in alloxan induced diabetic rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2011 Jul 1; 2(7):1722.
35. Heckler SL. Cultivating sociality: aesthetic factors in the composition and function of Piaroahomegardens. Journal of ethnobiology. 2004 Dec 1; 24(2):203-32.
36. Kamal SA, Mohammed GJ, Hameed IH. Antimicrobial, Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic Potential and Cytotoxic Activity of Salvadora persica: A review. Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development. 2018 Mar; 9(3):393-8.
37. Rymbai H, Srivastav M, Sharma RR, Patel CR, Singh AK. Bio-active compounds in mango (Mangifera indica L.) and their roles in human health and plant defence–a review. The Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology. 2013 Jan 1; 88(4):369-79.
38. Vikrant A, Arya ML. A review on anti-inflammatory plant barks. International Journal of PharmTech Research. 2011; 3(2):899-908.
39. Krishnaraju AV, Rao TV, Sundararaju D, Vanisree M, Tsay HS, Subbaraju GV. Biological screening of medicinal plants collected from Eastern Ghats of India using Artemiasalina (brine shrimp test). Int. J. Appl. Sci. Eng. 2006 Sep 1; 4(2):115-25.
40. Farooqi AH, Sharma S, Khan A, Kumar R, Kumar S, inventors; Council of Scientific, Industrial Research (CSIR), assignee. Formulation useful as a natural herbal tooth powder. United States patent US 6,264,926. 2001 Jul 24.