Aswathy Bose, Shajan Abraham, Steffy P Raju, Nisha Ullas, Chippy S Pillai, Elessy Abraham, Dibyalochan Mohanty
Email ID Not Available
Aswathy Bose1, Dr. Shajan Abraham1, Steffy P Raju1, Nisha Ullas1, Chippy S Pillai1, Dr. Elessy Abraham1, Dr. Dibyalochan Mohanty2
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Nazareth College of Pharmacy, Othera PO. Thiruvalla.
2Department of Pharmaceutics, Anurag Group of Institution, Hyderabad-500088.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2020
The aim of present work was to formulate and evaluate Sitagliptin buccal patch using solvent casting method. Buccal patch gained importance as it overcomes the limitations of current routes of administration, provides rapid onset of action by releasing drug directly to systemic circulation through oral mucosa by mucoadhesion. The formulated buccal patches were evaluated for various parameters like film thickness, surface pH, folding endurance, weight variation, % moisture loss, tensile strength, % elongation, drug content uniformity, and in vitro dissolution studies The optimized formulation (F4) containing HPMC E5 and Eudragit RL 100 polymer combination in 1:1 ratio showed highest in vitro dissolution (99.7 %) and satisfactory stability.
Cite this article:
Aswathy Bose, Shajan Abraham, Steffy P Raju, Nisha Ullas, Chippy S Pillai, Elessy Abraham, Dibyalochan Mohanty. Formulation and evaluation of sitagliptin buccal patch. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4883-4887. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00859.8
1. Patil PC, Shrivastava SK, Vaidehi S, Ashwini P. Oral fast dissolving drug delivery system: A modern approach for patient compliance. Int J Drug Reg Affairs. 2014; 2(2): 49-60.
2. Kumar RK, Sulochana MM. Fast dissolving films: A unique strategy for drug delivery. Asian J Pharm Res. 2014; 4(1): 47-55.
3. Arpita C, Gulab T, Manisha P, Koshy MK, Shubhini AS. Formulation and Charachterization of Carvedilol buccal mucoadhesive patches. Int J Pharm Sci 2010;1(4):396-401.
4. Gali AK. Fast dissolving dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Inv. 2013; 2(11): 14-17.
5. Varinder K, Foziyah Z, Geeta A, Ankush C, Formulation and evaluation of buccal patches of Venlafaxine.Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2011;1(3):17-82.
6. Patil SL, Mahaparale PR, Shivnikar MA, Tiwari SS, Pawar KV, Sane PN. Fast dissolving oral films: An innovative drug delivery system. Int J Res Rev Pharm Appl Sci. 2(3): 482-96.
7. Namita P, Kakar S, Singh R. A review on buccal patches. Innoriginal Int J Sci. 2016;3(5):4-8.
8. NB, Sandeep CA, Vikrant PW. A review on buccal drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Pharma Sci.2013;3(1):35-40.
9. Vaishali AC, Sarode SM, Sathe BS, Vadnere GP. Mucoadhesive buccal drug delivery system-a review. Int J Pharma Sci.2014;5(2):142-62.
10. Mathias NR, Hussain MA. Non-invasive systemic drug delivery: Developability considerations for alternate routes of administration. J Pharm Sci.2010;99(1):318-25.
11. Jyothi A, Gurpreet S, Seema S, Rana AC. Fast dissolving films: A novel approach to oral drug delivery. Int Res J Pharm. 2011; 2(12): 69-74.
12. Jaiswal H. Oral strip technology: A review, Indian J Pharm Biol Res. 2014; 2(2): 130- 43.
13. Verma NK, Kumar CS, Prasad H, Srivastava SP, Chandra V. Composition, characterization and application of fast dissolving oral film- A review. Asian J Pharma Tech Innov. 2013; 1(2):1 10.
14. Mohasin Lodhi, Akhilesh Dubey, Reema Narayan, Prabhakara Prabhu, Sneh Priya. Formulation and evaluation of buccal film of Ivabradine Hydrochloride for the treatment of stable angina pectoris. Int J Pharm Investig. 2013; 3(1): 47–53.
15. Abdelbary A, Bendas ER, Ramadan AA, Mostafa DA. Pharmaceutical and pharmacokinetic evaluation of a novel fast dissolving film formulation of Flupentixol Dihydrochloride. Am Ass Pharm Sci Tech. 2014; 15(6): 1603-10.
16. Narendra Nyola. Analytical method development and validation of Sitagliptin phosphate monohydrate in pure and tablet dosage form by derivative spectroscopy.2013;3(1):095-096.
17. Poluri K, Mulpur E, Puttugunta SB, Govada KB. Formulation development and evaluation of novel oral soluble films of Ziprasidone hydrochloride in the treatment of schizophrenia. Int J Pharm Pharma Sci. 2013; 5(2): 619-27.
18. Sreeja CN, Anoop KR. Design and in vitro evaluation of controlled release Satranidazole subgingival films for periodontitis Therapy. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res. 2014; 24(1): 8-14.
19. Karthikeyan D, Sri S, Kumar CS. Development of fast dissolving oral film containing of Rizatriptan benzoate as an Anti-migraine medication. Indo Am J Pharma Res. 2013; 3(3): 2642 -53.