Mohammed M. Aziz, Alyaa Majid, Khalid G. Al-Fartosi
Mohammed M. Aziz1, Alyaa Majid*2, Khalid G. Al-Fartosi2
1College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Thi-Qar, Iraq.
2College of Science, University of Thi-Qar, Iraq.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2020
Objective: the current research was directed for the estimation of hypoglycemic effect of taurine in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Methods: twenty-four of female rats (Rattus norvegicus) were utilized for this purpose. Animals were further distributed in four groups having six rats in each group. Diabetes was induced by injected intraperitoneally with alloxan at single dose 125mg/kg body weight, group (1) (control group): animals of this group were treated only with distill water for 15 days, group (2) (diabetic group): animals of this group were injected intraperitoneally with alloxan at single dose 125mg/kg body weight, group (3) (taurine group): a 100 mg/kg body weight dose of taurine was intraperitoneally introduced for fifteen days, the group (4) (DM+taurine group): animals of this group intraperitoneally injected a single dose of (125mg/kg body weight) alloxan and after 7 days they were injected with taurine at a dose (100mg/kg body weight) for 15 days. Results: a significant upsurge (P=0.05) was indicated in diabetic rats in the AST, ALT urea and creatinine’s levels. In addition, taurine supplementation caused a significant decrease in the levels of ALT, AST, urea and creatinine. Conclusions: taurine could have potential as a pharmaceutical drug for diabetes mellitus (DM).
Cite this article:
Mohammed M. Aziz, Alyaa Majid, Khalid G. Al-Fartosi. Effect of Taurine on liver and kidney functions of Diabetic female rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4826-4828. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00849.5
Mohammed M. Aziz, Alyaa Majid, Khalid G. Al-Fartosi. Effect of Taurine on liver and kidney functions of Diabetic female rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4826-4828. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00849.5 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-10-52
1. American Diabetes Association Diagnosis and classification of diabetes Mellitus, Diabetes Care. 2005,28 537.
2. Shera AS F, Jawad A and Maqsood A . Prevalence of diabetes in Pakistan Diabetes Res Clini Pract.2007,76 219.
3. Roberto T A R, Dodesini and Lepore G .Lipid and Renal disease J Am Soc Nephrol.2006, 17 145.
4. Hisalkar P J, Patne A B and Fawade M M .Assessment of plasma antioxidant levels in type 2 diabetes patients Int J Biol Med Res.2012,3 1796.
5. Di Leo M A S, Santini S A, Gentiloni Silveri N, Giardina B, Franconi F and Ghirlanda G. Long-term taurine supplementation reduces mortality rate in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat. Amino acids.2004, 27 187.
6. Satyanarayana U and Chakrapani U . Biochemistry.2013,4319.
7. Carl A, Burtis Edward Aand Ashwood, Clinical chemistry.1960, 4965.
8. Watson D .ClinicaChimicaActa.1960,5:637.
9. Lowell B. Foster, Ralph T and Dunn .Clinical Chemistry.1979,19: 338.
10. Francogillo .Clinical Chemistry.1981, 27:375.
11. Rafi M D .Textbook of biochemistry for medical students.2014, 2 : 360.
12. Retiman S and Frankel S.A. colorimeteric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic yruvic transaminases. Am J ClinPathol.1994, 28: 56.
13. Tietz N W. Text book of clinical chemistry 3 rdEd C A Burtis E R Ashwood WB Saunders.1999, 1239.
14. Kumarappan CT, Thilagam E, Vijayakumar Mand Subhash C. Mandal Modulatory effect of polyphenolic extracts of Ichnocarpus frutescens on oxidative stress in rats with experimentally induced diabetes Indian J Med Res Nov.2012, 136: 815.
15. Irshaid F and Mansi K. The effect of methanol extract derived from Urticapilulifera leaves on some hematological and biochemical parameters of diabetic rats Res J BiolSci.2009, 4: 675.
16. Ahn HR, Min-Ho S, Hae-Sung N, Kyeong-Soo P, Young- Hoon L, Seul-Ki J, Jin-Su C and Sun-Seog K .The association between liver enzymes and risk of type 2 diabetes: the Namwon study Diabetology and Metabolic Syndrome.2014, 6:14.
17. Turner H E and Wass JAH , Diabetic Eye Disease In: Oxford Handbook of Diabetes edited by Turner HE and Wass JAH New York: Oxford University Press.2007, 30.
18. Zhang FF, Zhang YM, Men XL, Zhao LJ, Kong XY and Dong SY. Effects of taurine on hemorheology of rats with type 2 diabetes Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li XueZaZhi.2010,26: 474.
19. Prangthip P, Surasiang R, Charoensiri R, Leardkamolkarn V, Komindr Sand Yamborisut U. Amelioration of hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia, oxidative stress and inflammation in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats fed a high fat diet by riceberry supplement. Journal of Functional Foods.2013,5: 195.
20. Vinik A I, Maser RE, Mitchell B D and Freeman R. Diabetic autonomic neuropathy Diabetes Care.2003, 26: 1553.
21. Bagri P, Ali M, Aeri V, Bhowmik M and Sultana S. Antidiabetic effect of Punica granatum flowers: Effect on hyperlipidemia, pancreatic cells lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in experimental diabetes Food ChemToxicol.2009,47: 50.