The present study designed to evaluate anti-leucoderma activity of medicinal herb in experiment model of C57BL/6 mice. leucoderma is mainly depigmentary disorder affecting very small population of word. C57BL/6 mice were divided into four groups. 40% Monobenzone cream applied daily for induction leucoderma in mice. Euphorbia hirta extract and Punica granatum extract administered for 65 days. At the end of study 6 mm circles of ear tissue were collected. All tail and back skin were removed. Some samples were stored at 80oC for further tests. Same dorsal skin samples were collected and placed in 10% neutral buffered formalin to histological analysis. Samples also were used to evaluate depigmentation, epidermal melanin levels, measurement of TNF-a level and histological analyses. Monobenzone applied group showed decreased level of melanin mean while plant extract treated group showed increased level and TNF-alpha level increased in control group and test groups shows the reverse action. From this result we conclude that both plants have ant-leucoderma activity.
Cite this article:
Pankaj M. Chaudhari, Dheeraj T. Baviskar. Evaluation of Anti-leucodermal activity of medicinal plant in rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4731-4734. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00833.1
Pankaj M. Chaudhari, Dheeraj T. Baviskar. Evaluation of Anti-leucodermal activity of medicinal plant in rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4731-4734. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00833.1 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-10-36
1. Badyal DK, Lata H, Dadhich AP. Animal Models of Hypertension and Effect of Drugs. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 2003;35:349-362.
2. Gharzouli K, Khennouf S, Amira S, Gharzouli A. Effects of aqueous extracts from Quercus ilex L. root bark, Punica granatum L. fruit peel and Artemisia herba-alba Asso leaves on ethanol-induced gastric damage in rats. Phytotherapy Research 1999;13(1):42-45.
3. Gracious Ross R, Selvasubramanian S, Jayasundar S. Immunomodulatory activity of Punica granatum in rabbits preliminary study. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2001;78(1):85-87.
4. Bhowmik D, Gopinath H, Kumar BP, Duraivel S, Aravind G, Kumar KPS. Medicinal Uses of Punica granatum and Its Health Benefits. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2013;1(5):30-35.
5. Gopalasathees kumar K, Ariharasiva Kumar G, Sengottuvel T, Sanish Devan V, Srividhya V. Quantification of Total Phenolic and Flavonoid content in leaves of Cucumis melo var agrestis using UV- spectrophotometer. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry 2019; 12(06): 1-10.
6. Zainab I. Mohammed, Ahmed J. Hassan. Effect of Bee venom on gene expression of HSP70 and IL-1β in male rats induced by arthritis in comparison with Prednisolone drug. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2019;12(11):1-10.
7. Moreira CG, Carrenho LZB, Pawloski PL, Soley BS, Cabrini DA, Otuki MF. Pre-clinical evidences of Pyrostegia venusta in the treatment of vitiligo. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2015;168:315-325
8. Carriel VS, Aneiros-Fernandez J, Arias-Santiago S, Garzón IJ, Alaminos M, Campos A. A Novel Histochemical Method for a Simultaneous Staining of Melanin and Collagen Fibers. Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 2011;59(3):270-277.
9. P A Patil, Monika Kolekar, Vikranti Koli, Amruta Kamble. Evaluation of Sun Protective Formula (SPF) of Indian Cow Dung as Organic Sunscreen Agent. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences 2019; 10(01): 17-25.
10. Hariharan V, Toole T, Klarquist J, Longley JB, Mosenson J, Le Poole1 IC. Topical Application of Bleaching Phenols; in-vivo Studies and Mechanism of Action Relevant to Melanoma Treatment. Melanoma Research 2011;21(2):115-126.
11. Van Den Boorn JG, Melief CJ, Luiten RM. Monobenzone-induced depigmentation: From enzymatic blockade to autoimmunity. Pigment Cell and Melanoma Research 2011;24(4):673-679
12. Miniati A, Weng Z, Zhang B, Therianou A, Vasiadi M, Nicolaidou E. Stimulated human melanocytes express and release interleukin-8, which is inhibited by luteolin: relevance to early vitiligo. Clinical And Experimental Dermatology 2014;39(1):54-57.
13. Norgauer J, Dichmann S, Peters F, Mockenhaupt M, Schraufst tter I, Herouy Y. Tumor necrosis factor alpha induces upregulation of CXC-chemokine receptor type II expression and magnifies the proliferative activity of CXC-chemokines in human melanocytes European Journal of Dermatology 2003;13(2):124-129.
14. Colucci R, Dragoni F, Conti R, Pisaneschi L, Lazzeri L, Moretti S. Evaluation of an oral supplement containing Phyllanthus emblica fruit extracts, vitamin E, and carotenoids in vitiligo treatment. Dermatology Therapy 2015;28(1):17-21.
15. Nataliya N Borisenko, Inna V Bushueva, Volodymyr V Parchenko, Inna Ya Gubenko, Yevhenii О Mykhailiuk, Olha I Riznyk, Oleksandr G Aleksieiev. Anti-Inflammatory, Antiviral Veterinary Medicine with Immuno-Modulating Activity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(11): 25-30.
16. Al-Olayan EM, El-Khadragy MF, Metwally DM, Abdel Moneim AE. Protective effects of pomegranate (Punica granatum) juice on testes against carbon tetrachloride intoxication in rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2014;14:164:1-9.
17. Bekir J, Mars M, Vicendo P, Fterrich A, Bouajila J. Chemical composition and antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiproliferation activities of pomegranate (Punica granatum) flowers. Journal of Medicinal Food 2013;16(6):544-550.
18. Tilottama M. Gatkine, Vaishnavi S. Shete , Nilesh M. Mahajan, Ujwala N. Mahajan. Potential of phyto-constituents as a skin tanning agents. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences 2019; 10(01): 10-15.
19. Wang H., Pan Y., Tang X., Huang Z. Isolation and characterization of melanin from Osmanthus fragrans seeds. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft and Technologie 2006; 496-502.
20. P.Kannan and D.Ganjewala. Preliminary Charaterization of Melanin Isolated form Fruits and Seeds of Nyctanthes arbor-tristis. Journal of Scientific Research 2009; 1(3): 655-661.