Ni Kadek Warditiani, I Made Agus Gelgel Wirasuta, Ni Luh Cintya Darmia Putri, Ni Nyoman Fitria Widianti, Ni Kadek Sriani
Ni Kadek Warditiani1*, I Made Agus Gelgel Wirasuta1,2, Ni Luh Cintya Darmia Putri1,2, Ni Nyoman Fitria Widianti1,2, Ni Kadek Sriani1,2
1Department of Pharmacy, Mathematics and Natural Science Faculty, Udayana University, Indonesia.
2Institute Forensic Science and Criminatology, Udayana University, Bali, Indonesia 80361.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2020
To evaluate the effect of steam tomato extract in hepar and renal organs in rats loaded with alloxan and fat-rich diet. Negative and extract group rats were loading alloxan 100mg/kg BW (giving once) and fat-rich diet for 30 days. Next step, only extract rat group was given 10mg tomato extract for 14 days, and then their hepar and renal morphology were observed. Hepar and renal organ preparation colored with HE dyes. Normal and negative rats’ renal and hepar morphology were compared to rats which loaded with alloxan, fat-rich diet and extract. Glomerulus size of the negative renal group was wider than the other group. The steam tomato extract could reduce glomerulus size like normal rats. Hepar of negative group rats appears much fatty accumulation. The steam tomato extract could reduce fatty accumulation like normal rats. This effect may cause chemical compounds of extract, ie lycopene, vitamin c, and carotene. It could conclude that the administration 10mg steam tomato extracts for 14 days could protect hepar and renal were loaded alloxan and fat-rich diet.
Cite this article:
Ni Kadek Warditiani, I Made Agus Gelgel Wirasuta, Ni Luh Cintya Darmia Putri, Ni Nyoman Fitria Widianti, Ni Kadek Sriani. Effect of Steam Tomato Extract in Renal and Hepar Rats Loading Alloxan and Fat-Rich Diet. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4675-4677. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00822.7
1. Rahman A. Studies in Natural Products Chemistry. Oxford: Elsevier. 2013; 40 (385): 391-393
2. Warditiani NK, Arisanti CI, Wirasuta IMAG. Anti-Dyslipidemia Activity of Tomato Extract in Wistar Male Albino Rats Induced Fat-Rich-Diet and Dexamethasone. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2019; 11(7): 2684-2688
3. Kailaku S, Dewandari KT, Sunarmani. Potensi Likopen Dalam Tomat Untuk Kesehatan, Buletin Teknologi Pascapanen Pertanian. 2007; 3: 50-58
4. Shi J and Maguer ML. Lycopene in Tomatoes: Chemical and Physical Properties Affected by Food Processing. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2000; 40 (1): 1-42
5. Dewi YF, Anthara MA, Dharmayudha. Efektifitas Ekstrak Daun Sirih Merah (Piper crocatum) terhadap Penurunan Kadar Glukosa Darah Tikus Putih Jantan (Rattus novergicus) yang Diinduksi Aloksan. Buletin Veteriner Udayana. 2014; 6(1): 73-79
6. Giulio M, Elisabetta B, Gabriele F, Fernanda C, Marco L, Rita M, Stefania N, Ester V, Nicola V, Nazario M, Mario R. Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver, Steatohepatitis, and the Metabolic Syndrome. Hepatology. 2003; 37(4), 917–923
7. Ishiwu CN, Iwouno, Jude O. Obiegbuna JE, Ezike TC. Effect of thermal processing on lycopene, beta-carotene and Vitamin C content of tomato [Var.UC82B], Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences. 2014; 2(3): 87-92
8. Frusciante, Luigi Carli, Paola Ercolano, Maria R. Pernice, Rita Di Matteo, Antonio Fogliano, Vincenzo Pellegrini, Nicoletta, Antioxidant nutritional quality of tomato, Molecular Nutrition and Food Research. 2007; 51(5): 609-617
9. Simran L, Vrinda N. Extraction and Isolation of Lycopene Form Various Natural Sources, IOSR Journal of Biotechnology and Biochemistry. 2015; 1(5): 49-51
10. Basuny AM, Gaafar AM, Arafat SM, Tomato Lycopene is A Natural Antioxidant and Can Alleviate Hypercholesterolemia. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2009; 8 (23): 6627-6633
11. Xenoulis PG, Steiner JM, 2008. Lipid Metabolism and Hyperlipidemia In Dogs. Gastrointestinal Laboratory, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M University, College Station, USA
12. Tamari Y, Nawata H, Inoue E, Yoshimura A, Yoshii H, Kashino G, Seki M, Enomoto T, Watanabe M, Tano K. Protective roles of ascorbic acid in oxidative stress induced by depletion of superoxide dismutase in vertebrate cells, Free Radic Res. 2013; 47(1): 1-7