Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, A. Vijayalakshmi, K. Masilamani
Raghavendra Kumar Gunda1*, A. Vijayalakshmi2, K. Masilamani3
1Research Scholar, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Pallavaram, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India- 600117.
2Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Pallavaram, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India- 600117.
3Department of Pharmaceutics, Jaya College of Paramedical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Thiruninravur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India- 602024.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2020
The objective of current study is to develop gastro retentive formulation for Moxifloxacin. HCl using various drug release modifiers and performing In-vitro, In-vivo evaluations. Moxifloxacin, novel synthetic fluoro quinolone, antibacterial agent. Floating, Muco Adhesive tablets of Moxifloxacin. HCl were prepared using variable amounts of HPMCK100M, Lannea coromandelica gum (LCG) by direct compression technique, Wet Granulation technique respectively. Amount of release modifiers required to obtain the prolonged release of drug shows impact on objective of the study. Formulations were developed and are checked for pharmacopoeial tests. Results shows that all the formulations were lie within the standard limits. Dissolution parameters of all formulations were subjected to kinetic fitting, various statistical parameters were determined. Formulation GRSOF containing 50mg of HPMCK100M and 50mg of LCG, is the best formulation showing similarity f2=71.734, f1=4.271 with the marketed product (AVELOX). It follows Higuchi’s kinetics, Non-Fickian Diffusion first order kinetics (n= 0.717). In-vivo studies were performed for the GRSOF with 6 healthy rabbits and pharmacokinetic parameters were determined, compared with AVELOX and found that GRSOF produced similar results. GRSOF expected to improve patient compliance by means of providing good clinical outcome.
Cite this article:
Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, A. Vijayalakshmi, K. Masilamani. Development, In-Vitro and In-Vivo Evaluation of Gastro Retentive Formulations for Moxifloxacin HCl. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4668-4674. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00821.5
Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, A. Vijayalakshmi, K. Masilamani. Development, In-Vitro and In-Vivo Evaluation of Gastro Retentive Formulations for Moxifloxacin HCl. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4668-4674. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00821.5 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-10-24
1. Jain SK, Agrawal GP, Jain NK. Evaluation of Porous Carrier-based Floating Orlistat Microspheres for Gastric Delivery. AAPS Pharm sci tech. 2006;7:E1-9. [Cross Ref]
2. Sonia D, Singh TG, Kumar AR, Sood S, Arora . Gastro retentive: controlled release drug delivery system. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research.2011;4(1):5-13.
3. Satyajit Panda, Neeraja Sukanya Sailada, Bandaru Devi, Snigdha Pattnaik, Laxmidhar Maharana. Design of floating drug delivery systems: an update on polymeric advancements with special reference from natural origin. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research.2016;39(1) Article No. 26 :125-132.
4. Streubel A, Siepmann J, Bodmeier R. Gastro retentive drug delivery system-Review. Expert Opinion Drug Delivery 2006;3: 217-33.
5. Hwang SJ, Park H, Park K. Gastric retentive drug delivery systems: Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems.1998;15:243-84.
6. Hirtz J. The GIT absorption of drugs in man: a review of current concepts and methods of investigation. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology.1985;19:77-83. [Cross Ref]
7. Arora S, Ali J, Ahuja A, Khar RK, Baboota S. Floating drug delivery systems- A Review. AAPS Pharm sci tech. 2005;6(3): E372-90. [Cross Ref]
8. Jain SK, Agrawal GP, Jain NK. Floating microspheres as drug delivery system, Newer Approaches, evaluation of porous carrier-based floating or list at microspheres for gastric delivery. Current Drug Delivery. 2008;5:220-3. [Cross Ref]
9. Ponchel G, Irache J. Specific and non-specific bioadhesive particulate systems for oral delivery to the gastrointestinal tract. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 1998;34:191-219.
10. Peppas NA, Sahlin JJ. Hydrogels as mucoadhesive and bioadhesive materials a review. Biomaterials. 1996;17:1553-61.
11. Hou SY, Cowles VE, Berner B. Gastric retentive dosage forms: A review. Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems.2003;20:459-97.
12. Lavelle EC. Targeted delivery of drugs to the gastrointestinal tract. Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems. 2001;18:341-86.
13. Woodley J. Bioadhesion-New possibilities for drug administration. Clinical Pharmacokinetics. 2001; 40:77-84.
14. Prabhakar Reddy Veerareddy, Spandana Bajjuri, Krishna Sanka, Raju Jukanti, Suresh Bandari, RK Ajmeru, Appa Rao Potu. Formulation and Evaluation of Gastroretentive Dosage Form of Ofloxacin. Saudi Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011;4:9-18.
15. Eftaiha AF, Qinna N, Rashid IS, Al Remawi MM, Al Shami MR, Arafat TA, Badwan AA. Bioadhesive controlled metronidazole release matrix based on chitosan and xanthan gum. Marine Drugs. 2010;8(5):1716-30.
16. Reddy LH, Murthy RS. Floating dosage system in drug delivery. Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems. 2002;19(6),553- 85. [Cross Ref]
17. Deshpande AA, Shah NH, Rhodes CT, Malick W. Development of a novel controlled-release system for gastric retention. Pharmaceutical Research. 1997;14:815-9. [Cross Ref]
18. Murthy PN, Anjan K. Mahapatra, Tapan Kumar Nayak, Diptanu Dey. Formulation, characterization and drug release kinetics of floating drug delivery systems. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2015; 7:781-92.
19. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, Vijayalakshmi A. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery Systems- A Review. Journal of Pharmacy Research. 2017; 11(2):167-78.
20. Gunda RK, Vijayalakshmi A. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Gastro Retentive Bio Adhesive Drug Delivery System for Moxifloxacin. HCl. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Reserach. 2019;53(4):724-32.
21. Ramji Anil Kumar Arza, Vijaya Kumar B: Development and evaluation of gastroretentive floating matrix tablets of Moxifloxacin .HCl. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2016;8(10):140-9.
22. Varun Kumar K, Ajay Kumar B: Formulation and evaluation of rapid disintegration tablets of Moxifloxacin .HCl . Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2013;5(1):238-50.
23. Schwartz BJ, Connor RE. Optimization technique in pharmaceutical formulations and processing. Modern Pharmaceutics. 3rd ed. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc; 1996:727-54.
24. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda. Formulation development and evaluation of Rosiglitazone Maleate Sustained release tablets using 32 factorial design. International Journal of Pharm Tech Research.2015; 8(4):713-24.
25. Rhodes CT, Robinson JR. Sustained and controlled drug delivery system. Modern Pharmaceutics. 4th ed. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc; 2003:503-5.
26. Dawange SR, Khadabadi SS, Saboo SS. Formulation and Evaluation of Floating Tablets of Verapamil Hydrochloride by using Gastroretentive Technology. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2015; 34(1): 263-9.
27. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, Suresh Kumar JN. Design, Formulation and Evaluation of Atenolol Gastro Retentive Floating Tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2015;9(4):S34-42.
28. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, Naga Suresh Kumar Jujjuru. Formulation Development and Evaluation of Moxifloxacin .HCl Fast Dissolving Tablets. Pharmaceutical Methods. 2017;8(2):160-7.[Cross Ref]
29. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, Suresh Kumar JN, Satyanarayana V, Ramanjaneyulu KV. Formulation development and evaluation of carvedilol phosphate gastro retentive floating tablets. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2016;7:44-51. [Cross Ref]
30. Raghavendra Kumar Gunda, A. Vijayalakshmi. Statistical design, formulation and evaluation of gastroretentive floating tablets for Moxifloxacin using natural and semisynthetic polymers. Thai J Pharm Sci 2019;43(3):138-145.
31. Rajani Shakya, Panna Thapa, Ranendra N. Saha. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of gastro retentive floating drug delivery system of ofloxacin. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2013; 8: 191-8.
32. Govikari Koteshwar Rao, Praveen Kumar M, Rajendraprasad M, V Prabhakar Reddy. Development and in vivo evaluation of gastro retentive delivery systems for cefuroxime axetil. Saudi Pharm Journal.2013; 21; 53-9.
33. Dortunc B, Gunal N. Release of acetazolamide from swellable HPMC matrix tablets. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 1997;23:1245-9.