Sasikala M., Mohan S, Nandha Kumar K., Sathish Kumar M., Varshini N.
Sasikala M.1,2*, Mohan S1, Nandha Kumar K.1, Sathish Kumar M.1, Varshini N.1
1Karpagam College of Pharmacy, Coimbatore – 641032, Tamil Nadu, India.
2Faculty of Pharmacy, Karpagam Academy of Higher Education, Coimbatore – 641021, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 10,
Year - 2020
Aim and objective: The aim was to optimize the extraction method and reveal the phytoconstituents using chromatographic detection and antioxidant activity from the stem part of Ipomoea obscura using DPPH assy. Method: The extraction was carried out using maceration process. The TLC parameters were set by trial and error method and suitable mobile phase for the constituent. The phytoconstituents from ethanolic extract were identified at 365nm by HPTLC. Additionally antioxidant activity is evaluated using UV/Visible spectrophotometer. Results and Discussion: The % yield of extract was found as 39.37%w/w. From the phytochemical test, the metabolites such as alkaloids, carbohydrates, phenolic compound such as flavonoid were present. The metabolic product of the stem was separated using respective mobile phase through Rf value. Among these, only phenolic compound were choosed for HPTLC detection. Conclusion: The mentioned HPTLC profile for the plant of interest will hopefully help the researchers in herbal field to develop more herbal medicines requiring the particular constituent or its extract.
Cite this article:
Sasikala M., Mohan S, Nandha Kumar K., Sathish Kumar M., Varshini N. HPTLC and Antioxidant activity of Ethanolic Extract of Ipomoea obscura (L.) Ker Gawl Stem. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4661-4667. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00820.3
Sasikala M., Mohan S, Nandha Kumar K., Sathish Kumar M., Varshini N. HPTLC and Antioxidant activity of Ethanolic Extract of Ipomoea obscura (L.) Ker Gawl Stem. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10):4661-4667. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00820.3 Available on: https://rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-10-23
1. Zahir Hussain et.al; Antimicrobial activity and heavy metal analysis of Ipomoea obscura. L, Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology Research, 2014; 4(5): 18-23.
2. Marilena Meira et.al; Review of the genus Ipomoea: traditional uses, chemistry and biological activities, Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy, 2012; 22(3): 682-713.
3. Inkyu Park et.al; The Complete chloroplast genomes of six Ipomoea species and indel marker development for the discrimination of authentic pharbitidis semen(seeds of I. nil or I. purpurea), Frontiers in plant science, 2018; 9: 965.
4. Chitra and T. S. Dhanaraj; Phytochemical and HPLC Analysis of Ipomoea obscura leaves, Asian Journal of Innovative Research, 2016; 1(4), 39-44.
5. Sasikala M et.al; Extraction and phytoconstituents screening of whole plant of Peristylus goodyeroides (D. Don) Lindl from southern western ghats of India, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2017; 6(10): 1394-1404.
6. Sasikala M et.al; High performance thin layer chromatographic determination of phytoconstituents in hydroalcoholic and methanolic whole plant extract of Ipomoea obscura (D. Don) Lindl, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2017; 6(10): 1405-1416.
7. Sasikala M et.al; Preliminary phytochemical evaluation of hydroalcoholic extract of Ipomoea aquatica forssk from aliyar riverine in south India, International Journal of Pharma and Biosciences, 2017; 8(3): 356-365.
8. Khadabadi SS, Deore SL and Baviskar BA; Experimental Phytopharmacognosy-A Comprehensive guide. 2nd edn, Nirali Prakashan, Pune, Maharastra, 2013; 2.1-2.5.
9. Harborne JB, Boxter H. Phytochemical Dictionary. Taylor and Francis; 1995. pp. 323–325.
10. Aravind J. Mungole et.al, Preliminary Phytochemical screening of Ipomoea obscura (L)-A Hepatoprotective medicinal plant, International Journal of PharmTech Research,2010: 2(4); 2307-2312.
11. Saravana Prabha et.al; Isolation and identification of bioactive compound from Ipomoea obscura (L.) Ker Gawl, Journal of Pharmacy Research, 2017; 11(1): 10-14.
12. Manjula A Rathod et.al; Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory activity in fresh and dry leaves of Ipomoea obscura(L.) ker gawl, International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences, 2018;8(1): 270-277.
13. R. Srinivasan et.al; Free radical scavenging activity of Ipomoea obscura(L.) ker gawl, Journal of Natural Remedies, 2007; 7(2): 184-188.
14. T. P. Hamsa et.al; Evaluation of the Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Tumor effect of Ipomoea obscura(L) and its mode of action through the inhibition of pro inflammatory cytokines, nitric oxide and cox-2, Springer link, 2011; 34(3): 171-183.
15. Thakare C. V et. Al; Ipomoea reniformis: A Review of its Ethnomedicinal uses, Phytochemistry and Pharmacology, International Journal of Research, 2014; 5(6): 657-660.
16. Saadia Batiga et.al; Chemical Composition and Biological properties of Ipomoea procumbens, Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy, 2018.
17. Prasoon Kumar Saxene et.al; A Review on Ipomoea carnea: An Exploration, International Research Journal of Pharmacy, 2017; 8(6).